cam suggestions for 3rd world driving?

ciego

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Cam suggestions? priorities are 1) reliability and 2) in-out ease.

I live in a 3rd world country and 90% of shipped or mailed items are never delivered. As such, I typically wait for one of my annual trips to North America to buy anything, therefore, returning defective products is not a possibility, making reliability the highest priority.

The other priority is ease of taking out and putting back in. No matter how discreet, someone will try to steal it, therefore, I need to pop it out every time I park in public. Even though there are guards that you have to tip on every corner whenever you park in public, things still get stolen. I lost my headlights, blinkers and side mirrors in about 5 minutes at the corner store with a parking guard. Home and office are secure, so no worries there.

I prefer smaller, so touch screen or gps not important.

thanks,

90% of shipped or mailed items are never delivered

Holy S..t i thought Danish postal was bad, but it seem their Peruvian counterparts have them beat :eek:

Do you plan on buying in a store in the US, or order it to a adress up there you can pick up from when you visit.

What is your budget ?

DHL Express Courier posts should be fine in your country no matter how bad is local post or other postal services.

Do you plan on buying in a store in the US, or order it to a adress up there you can pick up from when you visit.
I usually buy on-line from here with delivery to my hotel or friends house, depending on where I'm going. its too much of a hassle trying to run around to retail stores to get what I need, especially adding in the wants of the spouse and two spoiled kids. I always go with one suitcase and return with two.

What is your budget ?...DHL Express Courier posts should be fine ...
no budget, I'm willing to pay more for better. and DHL works fine for documents, but not great for goods. You have to go down to central Lima (a trip in itself), where customs opens the package and then pulls a number out of their ass for how much tax you have to pay on your items. And worse, if its something the inspector wants, you might not ever get it.

not to bore you with stories, but one time i shipped sunscreen because it is astronomically expensive here, and the inspector wanted it, so i was denied the package because i didn't have a sanitation permit. Another time i shipped original wiper blade arms from italy for a fiat spider i was restoring and the import duties I was charged were double what the items cost. And since i travel to the US and Canada occasionally for work anyway, its much less hassle and significantly cheaper to buy up there.

I suggest a mobius. Small, reliable. About the size of a matchbox. You can stick it in your pocket or get creative hiding it in the car. Amazon and a handful of reliable US online suppliers have them.

(speaking of mirror theft......there's a thread here somewhere about mirror theft in Vietnam, so you're not in a third world country......it's DEVELOPING.) :)

All i know of modern Peruvian history is the former president Alberto Fujimori ( or how ever its spelled ) freaked the hell out of me a "Japanese" was president over there.

And then a little of the ancient history of Peru that i find fascinating, freaking to think what those guys did when my guys ( also a well known bunch of ppl ) was living in caves and beating each other over the head with a piece of wood ( so to say )

I for one salute the Peruvians and hope they will again become a great people, and the sooner the better cuz there is not many saluting years left in me.

All i know of modern Peruvian history is the former president Alberto Fujimori... freaked the hell out of me a "Japanese" was president over there.
Well, Fujimori is still in jail and the new president, Pres Kuczynski, was born here to a Polish father and Swiss mother. Not as polemic as Killary and Strump, but interesting none the less.

Back