Upgrade Time (Suggestions)

SeanK_

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking to upgrade from the SG9663DCPRO+ that I'm give my father, and this is what my requirements are:

1. 2K or 4K
  2. 2 Channel
  3. Decent at nighttime
  4. Around $200 to $250
  5. GPS Logger included
  6. Really good wide angle
Any suggestions? Thanks!

I would look for one of the cameras with the new starvis 2 sensors, Viofo and Vantrue + others are well under way selling those.
Some of the new systems even have starvis 2 in both " ends " of the system

Looking to upgrade from the SG9663DCPRO+ that I'm give my father, and this is what my requirements are:

1. 2K or 4K
  2. 2 Channel
  3. Decent at nighttime
  4. Around $200 to $250
  5. GPS Logger included
  6. Really good wide angle
Any suggestions? Thanks!
A229 Pro releases in a few weeks and that is the first cam that has Starvis 2 sensors front and rear, so they would be worth a look-in. Otherwise can get ones that have Starvis 2 at the front such as the A139 Pro and Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro.

Check the relevant sub-forums for those models reviews as Starvis 2 is a game changer for video quality.

It do take a little to get me exited over a dashcam, but right now i am surveying the town to see where i can rob little old ladies to be able to afford one.

It do take a little to get me exited over a dashcam, but right now i am surveying the town to see where i can rob little old ladies to be able to afford one.
Plenty in Europe to rob, harder here in Australia haha

A little old Aussie, probably also just whip a eastern brown of her purse and bitch slap me with it.
Not much shield maiden in little old Danes, that's been groomed out of us decades ago.

A little old Aussie, probably also just whip a eastern brown of her purse and bitch slap me with it.
Not much shield maiden in little old Danes, that's been groomed out of us decades ago.
What do U think of princess Mary? She's an Aussie hahah

Yeah i approve, the kid could have done a lot worse.

But i an not at all into that stuff, also a wonder to me why Australians not completely shed its tie to the UK, you guys dont owe them nothing.
But then again i have never looked into the Commonwealth, maybe there are things in it that's alright to have, i know my " gang " the EU, well its no longer the kind of gang i am thrilled to be affiliated with.
TBH even the NATO deal, which we are pretty much a founding member, i have my doubts, i would prefer if the Nordic countries did our own defence pact like for instance we did lately on the airforce side of things.

Like we see ATM, if you have friends, or a stupid enough enemy, people will still come to your aid.

Yeah i approve, the kid could have done a lot worse.

But i an not at all into that stuff, also a wonder to me why Australians not completely shed its tie to the UK, you guys dont owe them nothing.
But then again i have never looked into the Commonwealth, maybe there are things in it that's alright to have, i know my " gang " the EU, well its no longer the kind of gang i am thrilled to be affiliated with.
TBH even the NATO deal, which we are pretty much a founding member, i have my doubts, i would prefer if the Nordic countries did our own defence pact like for instance we did lately on the airforce side of things.

Like we see ATM, if you have friends, or a stupid enough enemy, people will still come to your aid.
Don't get me started on NATO haha, total waste of money when we could be channeling the money into helping our own citizens you know

Not sure exact reasons why we haven't shed the UK. I have Welsh heritage but I don't like the UK or the folks from there at all. We have plenty living here and they seem to think their poo doesn't stink, and just seem to talk about themselves all the time.

Look I give everyone a chance, and there's always good eggs in there but it's just a cultural mindset I've found..

I would look for one of the cameras with the new starvis 2 sensors, Viofo and Vantrue + others are well under way selling those.
Some of the new systems even have starvis 2 in both " ends " of the system
What other brands are using the starvis 2 sensors besides these two?
A229 Pro releases in a few weeks and that is the first cam that has Starvis 2 sensors front and rear, so they would be worth a look-in. Otherwise can get ones that have Starvis 2 at the front such as the A139 Pro and Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro.

Check the relevant sub-forums for those models reviews as Starvis 2 is a game changer for video quality.
I was just looking at the A229 Pro and also the A229 Plus and was leaning more on the Plus for the price point.

What other brands are using the starvis 2 sensors besides these two?

I was just looking at the A229 Pro and also the A229 Plus and was leaning more on the Plus for the price point.
70mai is the only other brand I know if that uses the Starvis 2, they use the IMX678 in their A810 model.

Fair enough with the Plus, they should still be pretty good models

I feel, at least if i take my "Texan and damn proud of it" thinking hat on.
Then Americans should almost look for the best possible rear camera, due to the 1 plate in the rear challenge, for sure if i was a American i would NOT have the same " secondary" feeling about rear cameras.
So in the future i think i would have to recommend dual starvis 2 systems, at least to the " money not that big of a problem " people asking

Yeah the starvis 2 deal are pretty new still, so not that many players on the field right now, but anyone that is something or want to be something, should for sure look very serious at those sensors.

My state only has one licence plate, but either way I want a second camera to see who tailgating me. Only problems is wiring the back camera to the front, kind of hard with a SUV.

How much of a difference is it between 4K 30 fps vs 2K 60 fps?

My state only has one licence plate, but either way I want a second camera to see who tailgating me. Only problems is wiring the back camera to the front, kind of hard with a SUV.

If you're unable to install the rear yourself then you can always pay a professional to install it, so that's an option

Plenty of threads here that delve into the intricacies when it comes to 60fps but 4k does bring enhanced resolution when it comes to the events transpiring in the recorded video themselves. When it comes to identifying the licence plate itself, that's a different story and something that's not always a night and day difference.

Not really, you follow the headliner all the way back and attach the camera to the rear window. It can get more involved if you have a flip up hatchback and want to run the power wire into it and then out to the back glass, but still fairly easy. The rear external camera will cable straight to the front external camera. Most people get fouled up on the power connection between the front external camera and the fuse box.

There is likely a Youtube video with a dashcam install for your SUV, if not exactly there will be one that will give you a good idea of how to do the installation.

Not really, you follow the headliner all the way back and attach the camera to the rear window. It can get more involved if you have a flip up hatchback and want to run the power wire into it and then out to the back glass, but still fairly easy. The rear external camera will cable straight to the front external camera. Most people get fouled up on the power connection between the front external camera and the fuse box.

There is likely a Youtube video with a dashcam install for your SUV, if not exactly there will be one that will give you a good idea of how to do the installation.
For my civic it was easy, but for this CRV I got its kind of a pain in the butt without removing the headliner and its just a lease so not wanting to do anything crazy with it. But I'll go ahead and check some video out. Definitely going to go with either Viofo A229 Pro or Plus.

30 / 60 FPS dont really give any tangible difference in relation to image quality / plate capture, sure the one lock your lower limit to a 2 X faster 1:60 second, but when you are down there i dont feel like it matter.
I have years ago tried to run 2 identical cameras side by side, and one on each frame rate, and the times the 60 FPS camera got a capture the 30 FPS one did not was extremely marginal. So since then i have never thought about running a camera with 60 FPS.

My small, almost micro JAP 5 door hatchback, well i really wanted to, but something just will not allow me from going above the headliner, well aside for completely taking it down, which i cant be bothered with as the small car allow me to route along the floor if it have to be that way.

You can also some times go along the side up high, and then in between the door / doors rubber weather seal and the car body, but passing by the B pillar you do have to have the curtain airbags in mind at least if it is 2 part and the rear one are tethered to the B pillar like curtain airbags, well at least in my small car are to the A pillar.
BUT ! TBH i dont think there are 2 part curtain airbags, i think it will be one big one covering all the seats there might be in a car.

30 / 60 FPS dont really give any tangible difference in relation to image quality / plate capture, sure the one lock your lower limit to a 2 X faster 1:60 second, but when you are down there i dont feel like it matter.
I have years ago tried to run 2 identical cameras side by side, and one on each frame rate, and the times the 60 FPS camera got a capture the 30 FPS one did not was extremely marginal. So since then i have never thought about running a camera with 60 FPS.

My small, almost micro JAP 5 door hatchback, well i really wanted to, but something just will not allow me from going above the headliner, well aside for completely taking it down, which i cant be bothered with as the small car allow me to route along the floor if it have to be that way.

You can also some times go along the side up high, and then in between the door / doors rubber weather seal and the car body, but passing by the B pillar you do have to have the curtain airbags in mind at least if it is 2 part and the rear one are tethered to the B pillar like curtain airbags, well at least in my small car are to the A pillar.
BUT ! TBH i dont think there are 2 part curtain airbags, i think it will be one big one covering all the seats there might be in a car.
Think you're right, yeah it's not clear in the service manuals but for example in my car it appears that it comes down from the B pillar and the top part closest to the rear door in the C pillar.

Regardless, I wired the rear dash cam along the floor and up the rear seat

For my civic it was easy, but for this CRV I got its kind of a pain in the butt without removing the headliner and its just a lease so not wanting to do anything crazy with it. But I'll go ahead and check some video out. Definitely going to go with either Viofo A229 Pro or Plus.

As the vehicle is a lease then you for certain want to use the clear static film to attach the camera to the windscreen. You could try low-tack velcro, similar as used in clothing to hold
the wiring to the headliner or plastic parts. Easy to clean the glue off of plastic when uninstalling. Of course, this leaves the cable exposed to the cabin area, but will keep the lease
company from giving you a bad time when turning the car back in.

Well i am not afraid if a camera wire turn into a whip at worst, or my system get destroyed in that way CUZ then i am sure my car are also totalled anyway so will not be needing a dashcam anytime soon then.
I have also had small single channel cameras ( side use ) literally mounted off the headliner right in front of the curtain airbag, but then over the rear doors windows, and i have owned my car since 2012, and the total time i have had people on the rear seat since then are at the most 2 hours.
So never worried about any cameras turning into projectiles back there.

Back