Camera install killed my car, how to prevent it?

If you mean the wire with broken insulater the answer is "no, until a second opened wire or exposed metal is present as well..." or "in case of damage which cuts through the wire, effectivelly reducing cross section of the conducter"(but that would mean increase of resistance and could cause excessive heat).

It looks like your dealer doesn't know or can't understand you have HK with cut-off.
Yea i am not sure if they do understand, this was their most recent reply:
All external components outside PEUGEOT the car does not recognize it as original equipment

I did post in the Peugeot forums as the 3008 GT is packed with technology so i dont know if it does interfere, but i am awaiting a reply

Make sure the wire (with broken insulator) isn't damaged, bent, etc. If the wire itself is "OK", you could put a piece of electrical tape around it, to protect the wire. If the wire is damaged, it could cause current issues. Think of a shorted out headphone jack. You bend it and one side of the ear piece cuts out. Damaged wire prevents current from flowing. Now if you have metal touching the exposed wire, it could cause the current to flow elsewhere.

I'm not sure your dealer has much a clue what's taking place, or they do, and are trying to confuse you out of money.

So you live in Mexico and don't speak Spanish? That's got to be a son of a bitch to communicate.
It seems they dont based on their messages, my original issue was after 15 mth the battery was totally dead and nothing could get it to work, they put in a new battery and it worked but after about 48hrs same exact issue so i figure if there was a short it would have done something different

Yea i just know the basics not enough for a conversation, its not too bad, lots of people are bilingual and if i really need help i can ask people to translate, which i might need to do in this situation by having the camera installer who is bilingual call them and explain and get more details, but i am trying to make sure the camera installer did not do the installation improperly before i ask

It seems they dont based on their messages, my original issue was after 15 mth the battery was totally dead and nothing could get it to work, they put in a new battery and it worked but after about 48hrs same exact issue so i figure if there was a short it would have done something different

Yea i just know the basics not enough for a conversation, its not too bad, lots of people are bilingual and if i really need help i can ask people to translate, which i might need to do in this situation by having the camera installer who is bilingual call them and explain and get more details, but i am trying to make sure the camera installer did not do the installation improperly before i ask

Como se dice en espanol (How do you say this in Spanish). Habla con mas despacio por favor (please speak slowly). LOL those will get you a long way.

Far as the battery / camera goes, you need to find a competent installer or just do it yourself. With the language barrier, you're going to need to research places before going. Ask local expats to see if anyone has recommendations on audio installers.

Como se dice en espanol (How do you say this in Spanish). Habla con mas despacio por favor (please speak slowly). LOL those will get you a long way.

Far as the battery / camera goes, you need to find a competent installer or just do it yourself. With the language barrier, you're going to need to research places before going. Ask local expats to see if anyone has recommendations on audio installers.
I do manage fine using google translate and most places have a bilingual person, I did get my license and buy the car in Mexico on my own mostly

In Mexico there are very few licenses and certifications, so its difficult to find properly skilled people, the place I went to was popular

I got this response from the dealership:
The box consists of several electrical relays, these relays protect the system from further damage, in this case the camera being connected directly kept to the fuse box working all the time when it is not designed to work like this

Wouldnt a car alarm be connected the same way as the camera, or does the car alarm have different protections?

I do manage fine using google translate and most places have a bilingual person, I did get my license and buy the car in Mexico on my own mostly

In Mexico there are very few licenses and certifications, so its difficult to find properly skilled people, the place I went to was popular

I got this response from the dealership:
The box consists of several electrical relays, these relays protect the system from further damage, in this case the camera being connected directly kept to the fuse box working all the time when it is not designed to work like this

Wouldnt a car alarm be connected the same way as the camera, or does the car alarm have different protections?

That's a B.S. response. Fuse Taps are made for hardwiring into the fuse box and tapping into these circuits. Hardwiring (so long as you avoid modules, electronics - Try to avoid Infotainment, etc and safety systems - ABS, Airbags, et) and select a proper fuse, isn't going to damage your vehicle. What it will do is shorten your battery life some. Since park mode does use the battery to stay active when the car is off.

There are many systems that go to the fuse box that are always hot. Some critical and some are not. Always select non-critical fuses to attach the fuse tap(s). I selected the electronic seat controls which are always hot in my car and the cigarette lighter which is only hot when the ignition is on. These are also circuits that are not usually used and/or are low voltage/amperage. I never move my car seats and very rarely have anything plugged into my cigarette lighter sockets.

In any case, relays are not specifically to protect anything. They are electronically operated switches. They are designed to form or break circuits. When (low) voltage is applied to the relay, another circuit is formed or broken. That circuit can do a number of things. Good info: https://www.truckelectrics.com/blogs/news/automotive-relay-guide-what-is-a-relay

It's not relays that protect the system, it's the fuses. As long as fuses are rated properly for a circuit, if there was any problem, the fuse would have "melted" to break the circuit it was protecting. I'm hoping the dealer and their service department knows the difference between a relay and a fuse.

The worst that should happen is, as HonestReview said, is that the battery is depleted. Worse case is the battery goes dead which could affect the battery life.

It's a B.S. response from the dealer.

There are many systems that go to the fuse box that are always hot. Some critical and some are not. Always select non-critical fuses to attach the fuse tap(s). I selected the electronic seat controls which are always hot in my car and the cigarette lighter which is only hot when the ignition is on. These are also circuits that are not usually used and/or are low voltage/amperage. I never move my car seats and very rarely have anything plugged into my cigarette lighter sockets.

In any case, relays are not specifically to protect anything. They are electronically operated switches. They are designed to form or break circuits. When (low) voltage is applied to the relay, another circuit is formed or broken. That circuit can do a number of things. Good info: https://www.truckelectrics.com/blogs/news/automotive-relay-guide-what-is-a-relay

It's not relays that protect the system, it's the fuses. As long as fuses are rated properly for a circuit, if there was any problem, the fuse would have "melted" to break the circuit it was protecting. I'm hoping the dealer and their service department knows the difference between a relay and a fuse.

The worst that should happen is, as HonestReview said, is that the battery is depleted. Worse case is the battery goes dead which could affect the battery life.

It's a B.S. response from the dealer.

Ya. On a fuse tap, the fuse closest to the fuse box (bottom of fuse tap) protects the original circuit. And the fuse on the top of the fuse tap protects the item for which you're hardwiring. I.E. Camera. The whole point of a fuse is to prevent damage to a vehicle, and trip the circuit if something goes wrong.

I decided to talk to the alarm shop after it was made clear based on the replies in this thread that the shop probably did not do a bad install, the owner said anything 3rd party in Mexico voids warranty, the dealer PROBABLY just used the camera as an excuse and that there is basically nothing I can do and that If they are saying i cant do parking mode that i should just listen to them since well they are the only dealer i can work with

The nearest Peugeot dealer is about 3 hrs away, not the same as the US where you can find dealers about ever 30 mins lol, so i am stuck, luckily work at the dealership isn't that expensive compared to the US as the peso to USD ratio is in my favor

I decided to talk to the alarm shop after it was made clear based on the replies in this thread that the shop probably did not do a bad install, the owner said anything 3rd party in Mexico voids warranty, the dealer PROBABLY just used the camera as an excuse and that there is basically nothing I can do and that If they are saying i cant do parking mode that i should just listen to them since well they are the only dealer i can work with

The nearest Peugeot dealer is about 3 hrs away, not the same as the US where you can find dealers about ever 30 mins lol, so i am stuck, luckily work at the dealership isn't that expensive compared to the US as the peso to USD ratio is in my favor

Dealers will escape goat. Plain and simple. If it makes you sleep better at night, have dealer do install. It'll at least not "void" the warranty. Though I have hardwired cameras in my car, and never once has dealer ever "alleged" I voided my warranty.

I have a Land Rover which are known for their excess of electronics. I have always used an independent mechanic. I also took a previous car of 18 years to the same mechanic and never had any issues. It was a Peugeot.

I was so sick and tied of jump starting cars including in the outback a 1000km from help, I installed an Anderson plug to make life easier. Jump starting is a far higher risk, but when was the last time you actually heard of a jump starting car dieing. Never!

A dashcam will at worst flatten the starter battery if wired in to the wrong circuit. Your starter battery will have a bit shorter life as it is regularly drained, but that is all and you will have to replace the battery sooner.

Australians have an endless list if accessories wired into their cars for the outback.

As far as dashcam or a similar load killing a car, in Australia this is called BS (bullsh_t)!

175amp Anderson plug for jump starting.
normal__MG_2504.jpg
Solar and two DC-DC chargers wired in, this is standard stuff in Australia.
IMG_20210201_123930870.jpg
Two of four auxiliary batteries in the car.
normal_IMG_3243-battery (1).jpg
Third party TPMS wired into the car as I was too lazy to get into the car's code and edit files. Again, run if the mill stuff in Australia.
IMG_20210128_112214541.jpg
Compressors for inflating tyres in the outback.
2-of-3-compressors-2.jpg
This is all basic stuff in Australia which everyone does.

A dashcam killing a car is A class BS!

Attachments

• normal_IMG_3243-battery (1).jpg
    normal_IMG_3243-battery (1).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 3
Hardwiring into computer and safety systems can do more than just "cause battery issues". You're talking the potential to interfere with critical systems that the car uses to keep you safe... NEVER TAP into critical systems (Brakes, Airbags, etc etc). I'd hope that'd be common sense.

The fuse box/s (3 in my car) have layers of fuses. If anything is overloaded or shorted in the circuit, a fuse upstream, a main fuse will blow.

For those who have not bothered to pull the fuse box out of theur car and have a look, here are some photos.

Front.
IMG_20191223_133005727_HDR.jpg
More plugs in back.
3750470058412488248.jpg
Inside, back view.
_MG_6491.jpg
Inside, front, fuses plug in all the sockets.
_MG_6492.jpg
Edge view.
_MG_6497.jpg
A typical plug into the fuse box, partly pulled apart. The design is brilliant.
IMG_20200731_121306260-1.jpg

You can see in the fuse box that even wiring an accessory into a not ideal circuit, the load will still go through layers of fuses. I have traced wiring in here. It is basic stuff.

By the way, the car worked after I plugged it all back together!

common sense isn't all that common, you'd be surprised what people are capable of sometimes

To true. The last thing you'd want is the dash camera meant to record incidences being the device that documents your final moments. Especially when a person decides to utilize improper fuses that may interfere with braking, airbag deployment, crash avoidance systems, etc.

You want to take the most direct path without causing harm! Systems that if for some reason there's a conflict, it won't result in an undesired outcome.

Never wire anything into the brakes, ABS, stability control, seatbelt, brake lights, airbag circuits etc.

Having said that, if the camera was wired into any if these circuits and a fuse blew it is still not going to kill the car.

Replace the fuse and wire the camera into an accessory circuit. There are actually spare circuits if you do not want to use an existing accessory circuit.

I remember most of my older vehicles needing 6-10 fuses at the most and the only electronics was in the radio. Critical circuits like headlights, horn, and wipers were on self-resetting circuit breakers, and the engine ignition was on a 'fusible link' wire. Almost never any electrical problems. Now everything has to be computerized, and issues abound...

Remember folks, this is technological progress and it's good for you o_O:cautious::eek::LOL::cry:

Phil

Never wire anything into the brakes, ABS, stability control, seatbelt, brake lights, airbag circuits etc.

Having said that, if the camera was wired into any if these circuits and a fuse blew it is still not going to kill the car.

Replace the fuse and wire the camera into an accessory circuit. There are actually spare circuits if you do not want to use an existing accessory circuit.

You do realize if it the camera managed to trip the safety system fuse, those systems wouldn't work, right? Ideally, the fuse on top of a fuse tap protects the camera and the one closest to fuse box the system being tapped.

Tapping into brakes, stability control, airbags, electronics, is a big no no.

Maybe he didn't check which side of the original fusebox was hot and cold, and didn't line up the add-a-fuse tap correspondingly.

Back