Can I run 2 systems and sync them? Actual dash & Front/Rear.

ClodOdirt

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want a camera covering the dash (blinkers, MPH, etc.) with GPS, and the usual front/rear facing system w/GPS. Are theses cameras time stamped accurately for syncing? I am completely new to this... shopping for my first system...

GPS timestamps are fairly accurate, expect them to be within 2 seconds on normal dashcams. They are not much better than 1 second because dashcam GPS normally only updates at 1 second intervals.

You could get something like the Viofo A229 Plus, which has an optional "Internal"/Cabin camera, which you can point at your dash. It is hard to find a good mounting position though, the good places are normally too close for the camera to be able to focus.

Hi Nigel, my intention was to mount at the center dome light and tap power there... old car, don't care how it looks, I just need it to function... I've been told that I will have to manually sync the two... so I was curious about the time stamps...

Hi Nigel, my intention was to mount at the center dome light and tap power there... old car, don't care how it looks, I just need it to function... I've been told that I will have to manually sync the two... so I was curious about the time stamps...
If you have separate cameras, the problem is that the files start and end at different times, could be 1 minute apart, so it becomes difficult to put a front and a rear file together. If you use a 2 channel camera then the files start at the same time, or close enough. But normally you don't have to watch the files simultaneously, normally it is not necessary to have them synced.

For what you are trying to do, maybe it is necessary. If it is critical to get within 1/30th second then it will be very difficult on any dashcam, although sometimes it can be done accurately by sound. For about 1 second accuracy you can use the timestamps, although that might sometimes slip to 2 second accuracy.

I just need, in the case of an accident or ticket, to be able to say "my blinker WAS on when I merged into the lane", and be able to closely enough sync the two feeds so that there is no doubt that the different camera angles showed the same instance... I doubt any extreme accuracy would be needed. :)

I just need, in the case of an accident or ticket, to be able to say "my blinker WAS on when I merged into the lane", and be able to closely enough sync the two feeds so that there is no doubt that the different camera angles showed the same instance... I doubt any extreme accuracy would be needed. :)
In most countries, the blinker does not give you right of way, thus having video of the blinker is irrelevant...

Here in the U.S., one of the most frequent tickets is "failure to signal"... and is a frequent excuse for an officer to pull you over and detain you...

The interior view can also shaw that you DID have your seatbelt on, or that you were not speeding (sometime the GPS speed is inadmissible in court...)

In that case you will need to use it in court, which means that you have to prove that your synchronisation is valid, which is going to be very difficult.
In reality you should just submit both original unedited videos as the evidence, and then the timestamps become critical evidence, and they are going to be plenty accurate enough to defeat the cop, especially if the internal view also has enough outside detail to see when you crossed the lane divider.

All true... the original (raw video) would be submitted, and if accepted, the edited, side-by-side views just makes it easier to see... And you are spot on about the outside details... another car's blinker is one of many ways to synchronize... None of it is guaranteed, but it can't hurt to cover as many bases as possible :)

One point to note is that from a central dome light, it is very hard to get a good view of GPS satellites, so you really want to use a 2, or 3 channel dashcam so that the GPS receiver on the front windshield provides the timestamp for all videos.

Thanks for that insight... That had occurred to me, and I meant to ask about it... I looked at that Viofo A229 Plus you mentioned... that just might do the trick!!

I was worried because a lot of reviews I read were about problem when using a third or forth chanel... the reviews for the Viofo A229 Plus look good!!

the reviews for the Viofo A229 Plus look good!!
It seems to be doing well, although for 3 channels I would recommend you stick to the Viofo recommended memory cards, preferably the Viofo card which seems to perform better than any of the major brand memory cards! Most of the reviews and testing have been done using the Viofo card since Viofo supplied their own cards to ensure no problems during reviews!

Now, If I could just get a personal memory card that would fix my spelling/typing :eek:)

You can always sync footage up in post production, many video editing softwares even have a automatic multi cam feature for this.

But just as is, well if you have 2 similar systems with the same settings ASO, chance are they will boot in the same time and so be fairly in sync even on the time /date stamp names for the clips.
But using different systems like i have, and you are out of luck and will probably have some variation introduced by different boot times.

ALSO...

1. Try to be nice to people - Check!
  2. Avoid eating fat :)
  3. Read a good book now and then - Check!
  4. Get some waking in. - Check!
  5. Try to live in peace with people of all creeds and nations. - Check!

That is the conclusion from Monty pythons movie The meaning of life.
There are at least 1 creed / nation i do not get along with, but entirely their own fault.

My old 360 coverage setup, street guarding system F&R and K2S system for the side, as i recall i did not bother at all to sync the footage up so the difference in boot time are plain to see.

I can't remember if that's the one where the restaurant patron explodes at the end :)

It is.

Back