any experience with after market navigation systems?

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was considering swapping in a navigation system in my 2012 civic. I can find some official OEM ones, or also after market screens. some of the very cheap ones have bad reviews.

I noticed most run on windows CE, but some are on android which I think could be very cool since I could use android apps on it.

Anyone have experience with any after market screens like this? or any tips on good brands?

I mostly just want a back up camera, but I dunno. i have lived without one my whole life I don't really need one. I am just considering it.

I would focus on something that just mirrors your smart phone and supports backup camera video input then. Don't waste money on the other bells and whistles. (unless you really need/want HD radio etc)

I liked my previous pioneer AVIC systems for the functionality and clean aesthetics. but as far as navigation is concerned, I still much prefer using waze on my smartphone. it's just a better interface that's much faster and more accurate since updates are pretty often. I'm still considering an aftermarket in-dash radio for my current car but it's such a low priority. if you want a LCD for backup camera purposes, you can just get a cheap screen and customize your mount so it looks OEM.

here's a 3.5" screen in my visor for my backup camera purposes:
image by nes☆, on Flickr

if you have an android based navigation system with 3G/wifi, could you use waze? i use waze sometimes. but id rather have it on a 7-8" screen built in. I am just worried about losing functionality from my civics other LCD display. you can see in my avatar pic on the left, thats my actual car, on the right side there is a LCD screen that displays phone/song information. also want to confirm that steering wheel controls will work. I am going to ask around.

I just read that pioneer have 3 headunits either updating to lollipop or it was 3 new units with lollipop, allso there is the CES favorite RN6B from parrot though its still not out yet, but thats allso lollipop.

The parrot even pack a dashcam, or it can be fitted with one at least ( not sure if its a complete package )
http://blog.parrot.com/2015/01/05/c...most-advanced-in-vehicle-infotainment-system/

I would love to exchange my china win ce headunit with that parrot system :D

ATM i just use some free stuff on my 7" android tablet, it get me there allright, and my tablet wedge in nice under the lid of the center compartment on top of my dashbord.

if you have an android based navigation system with 3G/wifi, could you use waze? i use waze sometimes. but id rather have it on a 7-8" screen built in. I am just worried about losing functionality from my civics other LCD display. you can see in my avatar pic on the left, thats my actual car, on the right side there is a LCD screen that displays phone/song information. also want to confirm that steering wheel controls will work. I am going to ask around.

on my previous honda (GE fit/jazz), i used an available steering wheel interface so as not to lose functionality of my steering wheel controls with my pioneer. it goes in between the aftermarket radio and the steering wheel controls. it can be programmed to be used with many combinations of car makes and aftermarket radios. as far as your LCD, there's probably some device that would act similarly. you can do research on crutchfield.com. just pop in your car model and it will show you what radios and devices are compatible. and they'll have a list of accessories and interfaces to be used as well.

a lot of aftermarket radios will let you mirror your iPhone or android phone screen (jailbreak or rooting may be necessary) but may not mirror the touch interface. in these cases, all inputs will still need to be done on the smartphone itself.

being an iOS user, my ideal interface would be AirPlay mirroring much like with an appleTV but would register touch inputs on the headunit itself.

I just read that pioneer have 3 headunits either updating to lollipop or it was 3 new units with lollipop, allso there is the CES favorite RN6B from parrot though its still not out yet, but thats allso lollipop.

The parrot even pack a dashcam, or it can be fitted with one at least ( not sure if its a complete package )
http://blog.parrot.com/2015/01/05/c...most-advanced-in-vehicle-infotainment-system/

I would love to exchange my china win ce headunit with that parrot system :D

ATM i just use some free stuff on my 7" android tablet, it get me there allright, and my tablet wedge in nice under the lid of the center compartment on top of my dashbord.
pretty much sold on that parrot system now hah. although I would prefer no dash cam bundled with it, I would rather just use my own anyways but mine use a ios/android app anyways, and if I wanted I assume I could just run the app if I needed to view video?

I mostly like that it is car play OR android auto. I have an iphone now but plan on going back to android once the note has usb type c.

Yeah i am hooked too, and my car is so stupid even a casio watch will make it smarter :D only smart it have is electric windows in the front doors, and hemorrhoid grill in the front seats.

And offcourse my dashcams, but they only lift my car up to kindergarden level :D

The old parrot system allso look okay, but why go for kitkat when you can have a cherry lollipop :)

Back