Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Xvu

Reaction score
Country
United States
I finally got it hard wired to my car last night and took it out for a test drive. After I got home I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't see the license plate of car that's right in front of me. It seems like it was too bright for the camera when there is light at night. Below is the raw video if anyone can help :(

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B28plVEKXXfnSGZfOW9DdmtmVDQ

What you're seeing is perfectly normal, the license plate wash out is due to the reflective nature of the plates; coupled with the intensity of your car's headlamps. Does your car have HID projectors by any chance?

Last edited:
What you're seeing is perfectly normal, the license plate wash out is due to the reflective nature of the plates; coupled with the intensity of your car's headlamps. Do you have HID projectors by any chance?

No it's halogen. From the sample night videos I have seen it wasnt so bright. I'll try to angle the camera down a little bit and see if that helps.

Reflector setup or halogen projectors? Try lowering the low beam cut-off using the headlight level adjustment dial (that's if your car has one) in addition to aiming the GC one notch down, you should get better results.

If you watch a hd movie from raw files, you will realize : can read license plates too. Although they are recorded by a very expensive camera (thousands of dollars).

Example -

The color in this video is much better not as washed out as mine. Maybe because I have a lot of glare from my dash. I'll see if cleaning the windshield and aiming it down a notch would get it better. Thanks all for the replies!

Mine has the CPL left on 24/7.

Last edited:
Example -

wow, what is this miracle? ;)

SbkySUE.jpg

Probably the colour of the plate.

-

An interesting screenshot capture from a Cobra 840 shows that the problem is the car headlamps because the other writing on the bus is readable.

-

Back