Car battery - parking mode

Henners84

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am a bit confused with all of this. I would like to install a front and rear dash cams on my car to be set up with parking mode (I keep my car on the street). I may not use the car for 2 weeks at a time. What is the best way to keep the cameras alert enough to record over this time but preserve car battery life?
I had my eye on the garmin mini (small and discrete and no use for an in car screen or GPS). These seem to have a parking mode.
Thanks

parking mode for two weeks at a time is not practical with any solution at the moment, you'll either miss stuff, run out of power, or run out of memory

parking mode for two weeks at a time is not practical with any solution at the moment, you'll either miss stuff, run out of power, or run out of memory
If you were to power by a separate 12v battery, what kind of power draw do dashcams typically have? IE, would a solar charger be sufficient to keep a battery charged (assuming enough sunshine is available)?... or extend the draw down time? It might be an expensive solution, but the OP could buy an AGM battery strictly for the purposes of keeping the dashcam alive in parking mode for an extended time... maybe? And remote mount/trunk mount the battery? Or perhaps that's not a practical solution? I'm thinking of some of those custom audio installations where owners overpower the audio system in the vehicle and have to have one or more additional batteries remote mounted to power the system.

you can add batteries to provide power, then you still need to solve the memory issues if it records all the time, or improve how it detects events if in standby to conserve memory, there's no real practical solution at this time

you can add batteries to provide power, then you still need to solve the memory issues if it records all the time, or improve how it detects events if in standby to conserve memory, there's no real practical solution at this time
Don't certain events invoke a locked file so it won't get overwritten? I wouldn't think the large majority of files would be important to keep in such a situation.

And if you have cloud connectivity... well, that's another can of worms...

I wonder if there's a solar power solution that would be practical in extended exterior parking situations.

Hey guys. I decided to change my front dashcam setup (viofo a119 pro) to a quad setup (2 pieces of viofo a129 pro duo 4k), because ppl randomly damage my car from the sides, mostly with their doors, and the insurance company don't want to accept only the audio from the front and the number plates (they can't see the actual "act" of the damage that the other drivers did)

So I need much more battery power. And the Cellink Neo for example crazy expensive. So I decided to make a DIY battery pack.

Is there anybody who can help me out with the basics? What to - and not to - do...

I found some 12v batteries with BMS, but I guess need much more than that... I am also willing to build from scratch, just need some guidance...

some extra info:
My idea is to buy one battery similar to this: https://www.power-sonic.com/batteries/lithium-bluetooth-series/
so the cells and the BMS are solved...
but about the part, where i can be able to recharge the battery from the car and to power the 2 dashcam, i have no idea.:)

Thanks in advance

Back