Car loses control on a wet bridge

Nine29

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Was DR650S-2CH, then N2 Pro, now N4
Thought this might make a good first post...

Welcome to DCT. You from Detroit?

It's tempting to brake when you're about to hit pooled water. Resist the temptation.

Welcome to DCT.

It's tempting to brake when you're about to hit pooled water. Resist the temptation.

Welcome to DCT.
Wonder why they put the brakes on? Doubt it was because they saw a pool...

If you are driving a lightweight car with wide tyres, make sure you have plenty of tread on the tires and drive more slowly on wet roads! The wider the tyre the more water the tyre has to deal with.

What was that? One of those Pontiac/Saturn 'sports cars'?

Maybe too much power for the driver to handle. :)

Legend has it that Citroen 2CVs never aquaplane because of the skinny tyres.
It does always seem to be the sporty cars with wide tyres that do it.
Doesn't seem to take much to set it off if you're going a bit too fast. Not sure what speed the following guy was really doing, but I admit I've done 70ish in the wet.

Welcome to DCT. You from Detroit?

Sort of...I live in a suburb next to Detroit.

What was that? One of those Pontiac/Saturn 'sports cars'?

Maybe too much power for the driver to handle. :)

Yep...It was a Pontiac Solstice. It looks like he hit a deep puddle on the bridge causing him to freak out and hit the brakes.

He brakes about a second after the car in front sends up a splash. That's why I suspect he panic braked.
I've had a couple of occasions where the car in front enters deep water, and I think "aargh, can I steer round it, can I slow before hitting it, or should I just stay steady."
Chances are, you won't be able to slow significantly, so if you're hemmed in by traffic beside you, the best bet is to stay calm and keep a steady speed.

Doesn't seem to take much to set it off if you're going a bit too fast. Not sure what speed the following guy was really doing, but I admit I've done 70ish in the wet.

The truck shooting the video was doing 54 MPH...

With tyres half the width you need twice the speed to aquaplane, and the 2CV ("2 Horse Power" translated from French) isn't capable of twice any speed!

It really only takes 1 mph extra to go from decent grip to lifting off the road surface and having nearly zero grip, after that the only good thing you can do is to wait. I once drove up a steepish hill that had so much water coming down it that I could get up to 55mph and that was it, after that I could choose whatever engine revs I wanted in 5th gear just by adjusting the throttle, good fun to play with in a front wheel drive car on the hill since as the car lost grip it slowed down because of the hill and regained it, on the flat or with rear wheel drive you loose control until the car slows down enough to sink back through the water.

Just because the person in front is OK doesn't mean that you will be, he may have narrower tyres, more tyre tread, more weight etc.

Welcome to DCT.
Actually, it is good to brake briefly and loose 5mph, that can easily make the difference between aquaplaning or not, and it's not enough for the person behind to run into the back of you and cause much damage. Just make sure you take the brakes off again before hitting the water and keep the car in a straight line.

Wow. The first time in history a Solstice got up enough speed to pass someone and look what happens.

Noob driver !

Back