CDV300 Series Firmware

tmanz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wondering about firmware support. I assume the CDV300X's being sold online are from TCL. Does this manufacturer provide firmware support?

I've heard that dealing with TCL is difficult or impossible if your are a normal consumer.

Would the distributors have better access to firmware and are able they able to provide firmware support for the TCL product? - such as Foxoffer (@billknow )

what are you looking for? they don't generally change features, if you have a bug you need to report it and then see what they come back with

Just want to know if the product will be supported as features are modified, and if anyone has dealt with TCL before.

Things like:

1) The ability to turn off the power on/off sounds (without hacking firmware)
2) Improve the parking mode (would need a better battery)
etc.

Reporting bugs - where would that be done? to the distributor or manufacturer?
If reported how well is TCL with providing a fix? would the fix come from TCL or the distributor?

Feature changes are unlikely, parking mode shouldn't even be there, the hardware is not suitable, if you have issues report it to the seller and they'd need to follow up for any firmware fixes on your behalf

I wouldn't expect a new firmware any time soon. If you want to send feedback, you'll have to channel your request through the seller (Foxoffer) and hopefully they are working closely with the factory.

Last edited:
You mention problem child, what exactly are the problems?

there's some hardware limitations that are going to restrict what's possible with the platform, you may see a version 2 to address this though, the design has merit so worth their while to sort it out

Hmm. From the reviews i've seen, the product works as it should. The only limitations that I've learned about are:

1) The battery capacity and its limitations on the 'parking mode'
2) The inability to turn off notification sounds
3) A lag in the inbuilt GPS to lock

And my own perceived design limitations on the size and location of the lens adjustment knob.

What are the hardware limitations you speak of that limit the possibilities you mention? - interested to know why/if I should wait.

That doesn't answer my question.

Telling people to hold off on a product without sharing as to why they should is rather off don't you think?

That doesn't answer my question.

Telling people to hold off on a product without sharing as to why they should is rather off don't you think?

I'm not going to rubbish the manufacturer, it's up to them to get it sorted, it does have some issues that are out of the scope of firmware though so will need some hardware mods, they're looking at this now

If you'd like to purchase one go right ahead, not something I would suggest though

I'm not going to rubbish the manufacturer...

I think more damage is being done by telling people not to buy their product on a popular dashcam forum.

In fact it is a disservice to both the manufacturer and consumers that a product is being warned against without something to back up the claims. People will probably buy unless something definitive is shared, and if something is found wrong with it, some blame should be on those who don't properly inform others.

If you do have some information, please do share.

If you read through my posts I don't play favorites, if something is good I have no problem saying that, if it has issues I'll say that as well, I'm not going into details, it's not a disservice to the manufacturer as I've already consulted with them and advised what's needed, something they're working on, I'm not suggesting this model will never be worthwhile, the current version you see in the market though is best avoided, I could just say nothing and let you purchase, who is that going to help though, not you at least

I'm not questioning your bias, and I appreciate that you are trying to prevent people from buying a 'potentially flawed' product. However, I would not follow an edict without conclusive proof, and I cannot see why you would need to hide it.

I'm not questioning your bias, and I appreciate that you are trying to prevent people from buying a 'potentially flawed' product. However, I would not follow an edict without conclusive proof, and I cannot see why you would need to hide it.

Like Jokiin has said he doesn't want to rubbish other manufacturers. May be he doesn't want to create too much negativity between his business and those manufacturers, that's his call. The only people who won't hide those specific bad points of a dash cam are the end users, so you will just have to wait for those owners of CDV300 to give you their personal feedback. This is a public forum, you didn't pay anyone here to give you advice, all advice are coming from the members' free will. Take whatever comments available (which unfortunately for CDV300 isn't many) and decide for yourself.

Indeed, and most of the information given by free will on this forum has some supporting information to make it fact - be it pictures or an excellent write up. This argument however is lacking.

There is only one manufacturer, to my knowledge, which is TCL. If they are indeed working on fixes, they would have stopped distribution. Reading other posts it seems that the 'offload' reported is being done by distributors with current stock - foxoffer, blueskysea, ebay sellers etc.

Telling people not to buy would only hurt those with stock of the product as of now, not the manufacturer. The argument that telling people what needs to be improved would hurt the manufacturer is hard to believe - given, supposedly, they would have acknowledged the fault anyway and are working to fix it.

This is my opinion.

Last edited:
Telling people not to buy would only hurt those with stock of the product as of now, not the manufacturer. The argument that telling people what needs to be improved would hurt the manufacturer is hard to believe - given, supposedly, they would have acknowledged the fault anyway and are working to fix it.

I think Jokiin has already mentioned that he has "consulted with them and advised what's needed". I believe a few members also have emailed TCL but so far not having much luck in reply. What more do you want us here to do? Send in a CIA death squad?

What more do you want us here to do? Send in a CIA death squad?

I guess we're going on a tangent. Answering your question: don't take anything at face value, and be logical - basically what every human being should be doing.

There is only one manufacturer, to my knowledge, which is TCL. If they are indeed working on fixes, they would have stopped distribution. Reading other posts it seems that the 'offload' reported is being done by distributors with current stock - foxoffer, blueskysea, ebay sellers etc.

I did a model based on this platform, I withdrew it from sale and won't sell it until such time as the base hardware issue is resolved, what others are doing is up to them but no reworked product is available as yet

Back