Cheap dash cam that can be seen from a far (LED light or similar)

ToyotaSupra

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Dash Cam
A119mini2
Hello, I want to spend a few $$ on a really cheap camera I can mount on the rear glass of my car. I will NOT be using it to record anything, I just want people to know there is a camera, so they do less stupid sh*t once they know they might be getting recorded. The camera has to be cheap and be very visible. I have a Xiaomi Yi as a dash cam and you can clearly see it with its light ring around the lens.

At the end I might just pick up some broken camera and put some LEDs inside the case, but if there is something cheap on the market already...

It would appear it doesn't have LED's on the front. IR is not visible to the eye.

In America, most all people can be inside my jeep looking right at my dash cam and ask what the hell is that? Bulgaria may be very different. Get like 6 bumper sticker that says you are recording

I think I am just going to buy a Xiaomi silicone protective case and put some blinking LEDs inside. The case is like less that 1$ delivered. The whole ordeal will cost me next to nothing and might save me from some idiot driver doing a risky situation once he sees the box shaped looking camera thingy with LED flashing (imitating recording).
I guess it's better than nothing.

Just remember a camera can be beaten by a hood or a scarf, in my world a unseen camera is the best one.
At least up here a in your face camera will just be a target, as we have seen lately when the police wanted to put up CCTV cameras in pusher street on Christania in Copenhagen after a shooting of a police officer.

I don't want to record people, I want to lower the chance of idiotic stuff happening with the knowledge they might be recorded.

If anyone wanted to do something, it's trivially easy for them to bust a window and yank out the camera they clearly see. Unseen, functional camera is better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't leave my car parked outside for more than an hour. I am not worried someone will bust a window.

Human psychology is a funny thing. Put a "smile your on camera" sticker but don't actually put a camera.

If i won the lottery and could afford to buy that Marauder i would do some things on it to provoke weak ppl, but thats alright with a 12 Ton bulletproof vehicle.
First thing i would do is go places in Denmark where white people are not welcome as a lot of racist people live there.

Human psychology is a funny thing. Put a "smile your on camera" sticker but don't actually put a camera.

I put a small sign in the back of my van next to the camera (post 763) https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/page-39 The obviously handmade sign says "Smile for the camera" and under the arrow pointing to it, it says "Here's ONE" which hints at there being others. Also some "BS" regarding it being uploaded to the cloud ;) Not in those linked pics but now in the van if you look deeper inside you'll see a G1Wc facing back on top the right shelf. Yes, you can cover the first cam but the second one sees you doing that :p Unseen is that the second rear cam doesn't work but you can't tell that by looking :rolleyes: That is the only sign and only indiscreet cam in the van. The thieves (and general population) here aren't terribly bright folks but almost all of them can read.

My intent was to get people off my rear bumper and it's been working pretty good where tailgaters have time to see and read the sign. It also gives me some security against theft as the stupid thieves around here will believe the "uploaded" part and that the second cam has got them already :eek: It wouldn't be as effective in places where people know about dashcams, but I'm pretty much a 'pioneer' with them here. Next will come an alarm system and then I'll be as safe against theft as I can be. My situation is unusual in that I park and work in some less savory neighborhoods sometimes and I'm already a target for theft with all my tools, so having that visible cam and the handmade sign works for me instead of against me. A plastic sticker would be prettier but thieves know that for 100 alarm stickers 99 of them have no alarm to go with them. In my case they can see it's not all BS- there's certainly a cam or two there, I took the time to make my own sign pointing this out, and god knows what else I've got going so they'll leave me alone I hope.

If most people where you drive know what dashcams are, I'd just buy the cheapest one Gearbest or Banggood sells and wire it in. If it works, fine. If it dies, it still has value in making people think it works. And the cheap ones usually have a useless white LED on the lens side that will make it seem real enough. Should be under $20 US total including shipping and as a deterrent it's a believable bargain versus a simple obvious sticker-scam with a faked cam. Know your enemy and you'll know how to keep them at bay :cool:

Phil

I think even if this dummy DVR had a 5mm∅ LED flashing away on your back windscreen, the car behind you will find it difficult to see unless its night time, and then I’m also sure he/she won’t know why you have a flashing LED in your back window,

if you are going to all that trouble of buying a dummy DVR then fitting and wiring it up to power the LED. for the price of a cheap DVR you might as well get one that will/might capture whats going on behind you

Back