Compatible micro sd card for F770

I use Lexar 633x 128Gb or 64Gb with no issues so far. Thanks prime day!

whether a card works or not has nothing to do with its reported speed and "class" it is actually more likely to be RANDOM read operations that cause the problem, the problem you have is that no card is made and sold with random read operations in mind. I have a perfect example where two cards made by the same manufacture to the same "listed" spec (the one you look at on the box) and yet one works and one doesn't.

All I suggest is that you think long and hard before buying a card that isn't sold by thinkware and that is, can I afford this if this doesn't work, if you claim it fault and try and get a refund that's fine but they are within their rights to test it and it will test perfectly fine so please don't just buy a card and expect it to work.

Thinkware F750 Card Error

Hi,

Just to repeat what other members have encountered previously regarding the compatibility of 'Samsung Evo +' and 'Samsung Pro +' 128 GB micro SD cards with the Thinkware F770 cameras. I had the opportunity to buy both types of cards recently (I also needed a card for my Samsung S7 phone so had the view that if the higher spec 'Pro +' card didn't work in the dash cam, I could use it for my phone).

I first tried out the higher spec 'Pro +' 128 GB in my dash cam. As mentioned by another member previously, the cameras frequently prompted 'memory card error' despite formatting the card and resetting the dash cam. I did manage to record most parts of my journeys on this card, but the operation was intermittent whilst also frequently throwing in 'memory card errors' in between (not recording when errors were prompted). The card especially had problems when switching between parking mode to normal recording mode (ie when switching engine on / off), this is when it mostly prompted the errors.

I then tried out the lower spec 'Samsung Evo +' 128 GB card in the dash cam. This worked immediately and flawlessly without any problems or errors, even between parking and driving modes.

So, conclusion, a higher specification memory cards with faster read / write times may not necessarily be beneficial (or worst still, may not even work in this dash cam).

as I said, its not the spec you buy that is important, its the undisclosed random read operations that appear to be the problem.
Worse still, thinkware told me that an incompatible card can actually do damage to the camera itself. Personally I find this hard to believe but if we for a second remember that the random read operations are likely the problem then we can suppose that the camera is using the SDcard as not only for storage of the videos but also as a sort of scratch disk. If the camera isn't reading important data quickly enough then perhaps, the OS is having a fit, maybe that might cause some software issues in the camera, maybe not, but either way this is a problem you need to be aware of.

Please don't go and buy a card you cant afford to waste if it turns out it doesn't work and your unable to return it.

I have been using my Samsung Evo+ 128GB card for three weeks now. No problem at all. There is obviously a compatibility issue with the Samsung Pro cards as people have reported problems.

Most flash cards are optimized for sequential reads and writes as most of them are used for digital cameras and camcorders. I am not sure how random reads could be causing problems.

Is there any evident that Thinkware's dashcams or any dashcams does a lot of random reads or writes?

yes, I ran some tests on a number of cards now, analysing single and multithreaded read and write operations with various data set sizes.

Whilst I cant say that they do a lot of random reads what I can do is compare the differences between cards.

Below is a picture I posted a while back on the thread I linked to above, since then I have tried a further 4 cards and in all cases the results follow the same pattern, seq writes and random writes are better on the cards that don't work, these tend to be the headline figures that SDcard manufactures quote, because these are better than the Thinkware card we can rule them out as being a problem, Seq reads and random writes are close enough to not matter leaving single and multi threaded random reads being the single biggest difference between the cards.

Ive only tried 6 cards, 3 from PNY ( 1x 25MBps and 2x 50MBps) a SanDisk class 10 and a cheapo from Tesco's plus the thinkware card. the Tesco's and thinkware card plus one of the two 50MBps PNYs had similar results where the random reads were comparable to the thinkwares results and worked in the camera. the SanDisk and the slower PNY plus 1 of the faster PNY cards all had slower random reads by quite some margin and all exhibit the memory card error problem.

Its certainly not conclusive and the data set is very limited but it suggest that multi / single threaded random reads appears to be the consistent factor in a working card.

dashcam-cards-png.23644

I
Hi guys I am a new owner of F770. I wanted to buy a larger micro sd card (my f770 comes with 16gb). Can you guys share your experiences with the model of sd card that is working on F770. Thank you

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
got a Sandisk Ultra 128gb card. Popped it in, hit format, works a treat

I've been using a lexar 633x 128gb with no issues.

hi all.

I'm about to buy this camera in Australia. Would the Samsung Evo+ specs be sufficient for 2 channels bitrate?

Having issues with the 200gb Sandisk Ultra on the F770. In continous recording every second file cuts out after 9 seconds for both Front and Rear cam. File size still shows up as 80MB

Pretty sure its the card. Will have to test using another card.

Does anyone know if Thinkware plan on brining out there own brand 128gb card?

Hope it's a genuine card, I've been using the Evo+ 128GB for a while now in both the F750 and F770 with no issues. Surprised Samsung's higher end card would be giving you issues.
Is the EVO+ 128GB still working for you?

I cannot get it to work on my new f770.
Keep saying memory card error, system restarting.

I format it to FAT32 on PC and also exfat.
Nothing helps.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Is the EVO+ 128GB still working for you?

I cannot get it to work on my new f770.
Keep saying memory card error, system restarting.

I format it to FAT32 on PC and also exfat.
Nothing helps.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I just brought one from squaresoft ebay and mind has the card error.
Samsung Evo + 128GB..

I am trying a few different formatting programs to see if that can make it work when formatting in fat32

I wonder if the new update i used on the dashcam would have been a issue? Using the old firmware i didnt get a chance to try it.

After waching this video on YouTube:
I get Transcend High Endurance but i got error and system reboot itself :/

While searching for a new SD card I found this thread and wanted to share something I discovered about the Samsung Evo+ 128Gb cards. It appears that recently Samsung has launched a new Evo+ card that bears the UHS 3 specification on the cards. The first card I purchased I failed to notice this and repeatedly got the "Insert a memory card" and "Memory card error system rebooting" prompts. Tried formatting the card every way possible on my MacBook to no avail. At this point I thought to try my other yet smaller (32Gb) Evo+ card with the UHS 1 spec. Popped it in, formatted the card, and was off to the races. I put the card to the test leaving it overnight in parking mode, during my drive to work, parking mode during work, and came back out to leave and found it still working fine. Next I took the 128Gb Evo+ back to Best Buy and exchanged it for one of the last cards with UHS 1 specs. Popped that card in and we were golden.

So long story short here, there are two versions of the 128Gb Evo+ floating around, one has UHS 3 specs and makes the F770 freak out while the other with UHS 1 specs works fine. Samsung must have changed something internally for the new specs and the F770 does not agree with their decision.

I listened to the video on youtube above and purchased a lexar 633x 64GB card, card error system restarting is all I get, just want a decent size card got the thinkware f770 with 32GB but using both cams limited time would prefer 128GB just fed up with cards that don't work, and peed off with different brands won't work with each other, any advice warmly welcomed, thanks.
Before I forget fantastic cam well pleased with but some annoying design/software issues such as date/time format cannot be put to uk/english from american format, instruction booklet a joke, time to start after ignition on way too long, only record parking for 48 hrs ?
regards

Back