Thinkware F750 Card Error

Try answering why despite your claims of being impossible so that you and another insist I should take it on the chin, that Thinkware can do what you claim is the impossible by selling SD Cards that are guaranteed every time to work. Then perhaps we might think you have something worth contributing.

And no, I do not see that there is any diffence in a 1Gb or 1GB drive. To me they are exactly the same thing and anybody that says different will indeed be teaching me something. So come on then Dee82 teach me what you imagine to be the difference between 1Gb and 1GB.

Looking back you may be right. In 1992 I bought !Y first PC as we would know know them to be, an Apple IIe, the specs of which are list to history (piece of crap that it was). It was 3 Gb hard drive in my 1988/89 Compaq (DeskPro?). The 8 Gb drive came later with my purchase of my next Compaq in 1992. In 1996 I bought my 1st and last Packard Bell PC with a 17 Gb hard drive. ... and so on. So what on earth is your point?

You didn't have an 8GB hard drive in the 80s, or if you have somehow managed to grasped the difference between GB and Gb, you didn't have a 1GB HDD either

And how in the hell does the size of the hard drives in the history of the PCs I owned (either before or after you were born) have anything to do with this thread?

Oh, I have every intention of doing so, believe me, but am desperate for a bit of shut eye (it's 8.30 here in ol' Blighty and I am getting to bed Kate (rather than being up early!!!).

Yes, few people seem to even know of its existence and even fewer seem to know about ut. Thems that do do not appear to be too forthcoming in the enlightenment dept. To me, it is because of all these mirrors and smoke that fraudsters get a foot up into our bank accounts and that if things like SD secure areas were more transparnt, the we would all be safer - and that includes the manufacturers too! I have no doubt though, that this is all so secretive for a reason. That stirs my curiosity!

The secure area is fundamental to the "Secure" in "Secure Digital" SD cards rarely actually use their secure function, despite their name, if they do however use it then the encryption keys are stored in this secure area, having this visible for all to see would allow you to easily wipe the keys and render everything on the card useless (having access to the area does not make it possible to decrypt the data without the original device it was used with). This area is also used to store information about the card which is common in fake cards, its also believed to be used to make the cards appear faster in certain tests to help them gain the "class" rating. There is really no need for anyone to have access to this area of the card and doing so can potentially lead to problems.

Absolutely everything you write just belittles you in every way and proves me write. I stand by what I say in that you do not fully read everything, consequently you go off half-c_o_c_k_e_d and look all the more foolish because of it. Read back from pages 4-5 of this thread where you will see that jokiin and I did not have the best of starts and that he has indeed been rebuked by me for what I thought was his unhelpful comments. That we are now so quickly getting on so well should be a lesson to you and testment to the fact of the benefits to be gained from an intelligent and mature approach to things. Do I value jokiin's input due to his undoubted superior knowledge of this subject. You bet I do. That is precisely why forums like this exist (not to win points for how many threads you add comments too however inane) and it is for precisely the same reason nothing whatever that you have to contribute can or will be of any use to anyone unless and until you grow up a bit and stay focused on the tasks at hand rather than acting like an immature, spoilt brat!
Your rambling, can you also try and explain your comments, immature?, spoilt brat? ill put your show of disrespect down to your age.

Well how in the hell would you know anyway. You weren't even born then!
I know because I am capable of learning and have spent all of my life learning, it is a tad arrogant to assume that ones knowledge of history begins at their birth. Presumably you are aware of the Second world war? that predates yourself but I wont assume your know nothing about it, you could well be professor of history.

so why assume that someone here who is younger than yourself who actively engages with people to help them and to better their own understanding of technical subjects is going to be ignorant of the history of technology? you assume my friend that some other people are below your level of understanding. I wont pretend to know everything, this is why I push the envelope of my understand and test issues such as these SD cards, I have built up a great deal of knowledge around SD cards and how they work, I do not know everything but do not dismiss this unless you have actual knowledge to the contrary at which time I will take my hat off to you and graciously learn something new.

My goodness. I had no idea that every SD card has its own Micro controller. The 1st 20 mins of this video were very interesting but from there on out (when talk of code 8051 got thick and fast) it all went over my head a bit. Nice too to know that SD cards do not actually store data but at best only store an approximation of it. Just makes me wonder if I should curb my impulse to go to SSD drives in my PCs until I learns bit more about their CONS as well as the obvious PROS!!!

Generally speaking SSDs are fine, get as big a drive as you can afford which will help offset the gradual decline of its integrity. If your looking for storage that's bomb proof then HDDs or SSDs are not what you want, both can easily be corrupted. For all intends and purposes, SSDs today are more than adequate to use safely without fear of them dying, in fact your more likely to get a mechanical HDD fail than an SSD after the first year of use.

I absolutely and categorically disagree with you on this point. No other device that I know of rejects cards like this F750 (see my post later on). Cards rejected by Thinkware are accepted by just about any other device I can lay my hands on. When have you ever heard the likes of Apple, Samsung, Lenovo, HP et al ever state SD card acceptance nay be problematical? Exactly, the never do. So all this nonsense points to Thinkware being the problem NOT the cards (given you have what Thinkware state if pressed - a UHS-1 class SD card up to 64 Gb formatted in exFAT with sector size of 125kb - but then it must but not work - Ye Gods what utter rubbish!!!).

Why do you disagree? I actually hope you have learnt by now that your presumption of thinkware being the problem is incorrect, if you have reached that point then I hope you also see how your comment has come across as being wrong, I further hope that you then take the next step and concede that other people know things that you do not which IS the reason we are all here.

Try answering why despite your claims of being impossible so that you and another insist I should take it on the chin, that Thinkware can do what you claim is the impossible by selling SD Cards that are guaranteed every time to work. Then perhaps we might think you have something worth contributing.

And no, I do not see that there is any diffence in a 1Gb or 1GB drive. To me they are exactly the same thing and anybody that says different will indeed be teaching me something. So come on then Dee82 teach me what you imagine to be the difference between 1Gb and 1GB.

"So come on then Dee82 teach me what you imagine to be the difference between 1Gb and 1GB"

THIS is the kinda thing you need to work on and why you come across as being rude, "what I imagine to be the difference"!?! Blimey man can you just try and have some respect for other people! I don't imagine anything to be the difference, I KNOW the difference otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up!!

Thinkware can guarantee what cards work by simply testing them and having them manufactured to very strict criteria, other manufactures may not have the same degree of criteria, even within the same company two same models of card may function differently if they were not designed to the correct spec of the camera.

GB and Gb. B=Byte b=bit. Usually one refers to storage matters in terms of Bytes and transportation of data in terms of bits.
There are 8 bits to every byte. So an 8Gb HDD is actually approx. 1GB (which indecently, didn't exist in the home market in the 80s and I'm not sure that it even existed as a single drive in the enterprise market)

So to directly answer your question, 1Gb is about 125MBs, 1GB is approx. 1000MBs ( its not quite that simple, 1GB is actually closer to 1024MBs but with the sizes of storage we now talk about its more or less redundant, back in the day however that error of 24MBs could be a big problem, it also doesn't take in to account that storage isn't 100% efficient, file system and cluster sizes effects the actual amount of data that can be stored)

There you go, I do hope you have learned something, respect being one of them.

The secure area is fundamental to the "Secure" in "Secure Digital" SD cards rarely actually use their secure function, despite their name, if they do however use it then the encryption keys are stored in this secure area, having this visible for all to see would allow you to easily wipe the keys and render everything on the card useless (having access to the area does not make it possible to decrypt the data without the original device it was used with). This area is also used to store information about the card which is common in fake cards, its also believed to be used to make the cards appear faster in certain tests to help them gain the "class" rating. There is really no need for anyone to have access to this area of the card and doing so can potentially lead to problems.

Your rambling, can you also try and explain your comments, immature?, spoilt brat? ill put your show of disrespect down to your age.

I know because I am capable of learning and have spent all of my life learning, it is a tad arrogant to assume that ones knowledge of history begins at their birth. Presumably you are aware of the Second world war? that predates yourself but I wont assume your know nothing about it, you could well be professor of history.

so why assume that someone here who is younger than yourself who actively engages with people to help them and to better their own understanding of technical subjects is going to be ignorant of the history of technology? you assume my friend that some other people are below your level of understanding. I wont pretend to know everything, this is why I push the envelope of my understand and test issues such as these SD cards, I have built up a great deal of knowledge around SD cards and how they work, I do not know everything but do not dismiss this unless you have actual knowledge to the contrary at which time I will take my hat off to you and graciously learn something new.

Generally speaking SSDs are fine, get as big a drive as you can afford which will help offset the gradual decline of its integrity. If your looking for storage that's bomb proof then HDDs or SSDs are not what you want, both can easily be corrupted. For all intends and purposes, SSDs today are more than adequate to use safely without fear of them dying, in fact your more likely to get a mechanical HDD fail than an SSD after the first year of use.

Why do you disagree? I actually hope you have learnt by now that your presumption of thinkware being the problem is incorrect, if you have reached that point then I hope you also see how your comment has come across as being wrong, I further hope that you then take the next step and concede that other people know things that you do not which IS the reason we are all here.

"So come on then Dee82 teach me what you imagine to be the difference between 1Gb and 1GB"

THIS is the kinda thing you need to work on and why you come across as being rude, "what I imagine to be the difference"!?! Blimey man can you just try and have some respect for other people! I don't imagine anything to be the difference, I KNOW the difference otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up!!

Thinkware can guarantee what cards work by simply testing them and having them manufactured to very strict criteria, other manufactures may not have the same degree of criteria, even within the same company two same models of card may function differently if they were not designed to the correct spec of the camera.

GB and Gb. B=Byte b=bit. Usually one refers to storage matters in terms of Bytes and transportation of data in terms of bits.
There are 8 bits to every byte. So an 8Gb HDD is actually approx. 1GB (which indecently, didn't exist in the home market in the 80s and I'm not sure that it even existed as a single drive in the enterprise market)

So to directly answer your question, 1Gb is about 125MBs, 1GB is approx. 1000MBs ( its not quite that simple, 1GB is actually closer to 1024MBs but with the sizes of storage we now talk about its more or less redundant, back in the day however that error of 24MBs could be a big problem, it also doesn't take in to account that storage isn't 100% efficient, file system and cluster sizes effects the actual amount of data that can be stored)

There you go, I do hope you have learned something, respect being one of them.
All this rambling from somebody that is soooo impressed with themselves. I will not lower myself to your level and unlike you I will continue insofar as I can to adhere to the thread's topic. I also feel that your ridiculous sniping is off-putting to would-be contributors so can I ask you to stop?

I do want you to answer this. You and "another" claim that SD cards are inherently unreliable & that cards from the same batch of the same brand, class, speed & size can be & r totally different & always unpredictable (a fair approximation of your claim?) & that people like me that know "bugger all" should take it on the chin, accept it and seemingly should bow down to your intellectual authority if for no other reason than you you conducted one (or was it two?) minor trials on SD cards. Don't forget to supply a link to the papers you published will you please? BUT STRANGELY, in the same sentence (oops maybe the one after - I know you are a stickler for irrelevant minutiae detail!) u then contradict yourself by suggesting if I want a card that is guaranteed to work, I should buy a Thinkware one even though there is no current stock. I have asked you repeatedly to explain these polar opposite statements yet you seem somewhat unsurprisingly, I have to note. stubbornly and may I say suspiciously silent and offer no real explanations of this dychotomy (from either you, "another" or anyone else. No doubt because you can't. So now who looks the fool? Either SD cards r inherently unpredictable & there's nothing to be done OR Thinkware can guarantee the predictability of their cards. Which is it? - you can't have it both ways. I may know "bugger all" about SD cards but I am here to learn as much about the thread's problem as I can (dispite my seemingly vast age). I would point out that it is the same vast age that has allowed me to acquire so much more wisdom than you feebly demonstrate and which allows me to spot your arrogant type of B_u_l_l_s_h_i_t from miles away.

Yes, u feebly try to sidestep this issue by stating that Thinkware have cards made for them to a precise standards etc. but this does not sit well with your statement that all SD cards are inherently unreliable. If you think we all fall for your nonsense that Thinkware tests each card u r a greater fool than even I took u 4. This is the exact reverse of what Thinkware UK's Gary told me not more than a week ago! Of course they can't &"dont. If Thinkware can signal what parameters their cards must be made 2, why isn't this information shared so that we can buy our own cards particularly when they have none in stock and none on order? Even if Thinkware claimed commercial secrecy why can't SD Card guru's then find out what those parameters r & transpose this so that we can use such info. as a way to correctly identify the card needed? Explain 2 why it is that other 3rd party cards also seem to work each and every time. There has to be something about the cards which work that is both obviously reliable (I know u hate that wordo) & identifiable despite what u say & despite my so-called ignorance on this subject. Ignorant I might have been but I learn fast and am learning fast, no thanks to the likes of you! I also have intelligence to help assess and understand even those topics of which I know little about and enough experience to know that to be meekly accepting of what any know-all has 2 say is a very dangerous thing 2 do.

Of course I concede other people know more about this subject than I. I have no difficulties with admitting that and would venture to add (although I should have thought it unnecessary to do so) that that is the precise reason I am in this forum: to learn. It says much about u as a person that u would think such an admission to be even the slightest bit shameful or difficult. I don't! What u fail 2 understand is that until & unless u explain your juxtaposition people might have scant regard 4 what u gave 2 say & that a personal attack or any attempt to intimidate or pack this forum with your infantile point scoring (did I hurt your feelings diddums?) is no way to successfully mask your inadequacies.

Kindly continue your infantile sniping at my email address at (mrallenclemo@gmail.com) and leave the rest of us here to concentrate on our SD card problems with the F750, I beg you!

Note to thread invigilator. I apologise in advance if giving out my email address contravenes the rules. I'm sure however u will understand that all I seek 2 do us 2 stop this idiot from infantile insult swapping which I fear will b off-putting 2 all who visit the thread & thus act against what most of us r trying 2 do. In my opinion it also unnecessarily pads out the thread with rubbish unrelated 2 it thus making anybody trying to catch-up have an overly onerous task in filtering out the wanted from the unwanted don't you think?

the thread is full of relavant information for the topic at hand, you just seem incapable of either reading it or understanding it. Let me spell this out to you in the most simplistic terms I can.
company A makes an SD card for the masses it's intended use is a big standard camera / storage device, these cards that's you buy off the shelf may or may not work for reasons that have already be mentioned.

company B makes an SD card, this card is make for the specific purpose of a dash cam.

both SD cards are are mostly the same but critically different.

this is why thinkware can be guaranteed to work and "company a" might not

I have just had confirmed by a 3rd Party supplier that his 32Gb, 64Gb AND 128Gb cards have been tested and at my request specifically retest both yesterday and today with their Thinkware F750 and that these cards all seem to work and do so reliably (using all the memory available). The 64Gb is 30 something quid but the 128 Gb jumps to just under the £100.00 mark. So the largest option they recommend is a bit on the pricey side but P&P is included in card price. A life time guarantee is also included in that if the card fails for any reason the retailer will replace it FOC (as they tell me their manufacturer does the actual replacing not them!). So given Thinkware regard SD cards as consumables with their expectation of a lifecycle to be no more than just 6 months, this seems to me to be a pretty good addition to the deal. I have pointed out what Thinkware has to say about the anticipated lifetime of any SD card so I am not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes and neither, I think, is this vendor!

I have acvordingly just ordered my first "trial" 128Gb card which I should get on with any luck on Saturday. I will report on what happens asap AND if I have no problems this supplier has given his consent to have his website added to my post for those who would like to know of it. Obviously I will be happy to do so.

If you are wondering, this supplier fits most of the leading dashcams professionally including Thinkware and consequently is well aware of this forum, this thread and supremely aware of the F750 SD card issue(s) and tell me that this is precisely why they have located a manufacturer whose cards work first and every time! Good eh?

I am due to receive my 200Gb Samsung Ultra (a card recommended as working on their F750, at least, by "Cynix" on this thread). Given his comments I was persuaded to buy one for myself to see if I would share in his luck or not! Obviously I will report if this particular works for my F750 too as soon as I know, so watch my posts for results as and when they become known to me!

Blah blah blah. Please shut up. You are boring everybody!

If there is anything of interest in this thread is has not be supplied by you let me tell you and now we have to sift through your non relevant rubbish too, to boot. Now email me directly if you want to continue your infantile point scoring rubbish, please - don't you get how ridiculous you make yourself appear?. Yet again I note that you fail to explain the paradox I outline from your nonsense to the extent that it becomes obvious that you cannot even understand the question let alone address it! I give in. This one I might have to "take on the chin". You simply cannot make a silk purse from this particular pig's ear can you?!!!

Righty, back to the topic at hand, which cards work!

Heres some actual data between a working card and a card that generates the "Memory card error"
We know the thinkware card works so we can rule out any of the results that the PNY cards beats the thinkware card. We can then rule out all results where the difference is close enough to make no difference, that leaves Random Read instructions, both multi threaded and single threaded. The PNY card was nearly half as slow on single threaded random read operations.

Now heres your problem, Thinkware can request a card from the manufacture that hits the numbers it requires, PNY, SanDisk, etc etc make cards that are designed to get the headline grabbing number, ie, blisteringly fast sequential writes, they don't give two hoots about the rest of the figures so don't advertise them.

Now for almost all cases this is perfectly fine which is why you don't get the problem in Samsung phones, because on these devices you are reading and writing large lumps of data in a sequential nature.

However, clearly on the camera we have there is more at work. You and I can't go out and buy a card with super fast random read operations and its for this reason that I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it is near on impossible for us to buy a card that is guaranteed to work other than thinkwares card, UNLESS someone has found a manufacture that will hit the required performance spec.

This isn't a difficult concept to understand, our good friend above has gone but if anyone else would like to engage in this chat it might help refine out data a bit.

The fantastic program I used to get these numbers is from the link below
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html
Its crystalmark your looking for.

I tried both 100MB data samples and 1000MB samples, the figures were more or less the same, the figures I listed above at 100MB.
If you are testing a card please make sure you firstly stop doing anything else on the computer, run the test for at least 5 times and don't plug in your SDcard in to a USB adaptor, you will need to plug it directly in to a socket on a computer, the reason being you will more then likely run in to the limit of the USB port before you hit the max data throughput on a modern super fast SD card.

Attachments

• dashcam cards.PNG
    dashcam cards.PNG
    22.2 KB · Views: 331
I just bought a Thinkware F750 dashcam I had trouble with a new sd card 64 GB. Kingston didn't work , today I installed a Sandisk ultra and Presto works like a charm ... Just in case Sandisk works well ...

would you be willing to test the cards you have, both the ones that didn't work and the ones that do. I'm eager to compile a list to see exactly what it is that causes cards to not work. as I mentioned above I think I know the answer to that but it would be interesting if your results match mine.

I just bought a Thinkware F750 dashcam I had trouble with a new sd card 64 GB. Kingston didn't work , today I installed a Sandisk ultra and Presto works like a charm ... Just in case Sandisk works well ...

yeah not so sure about the advice to format the new card exFAT, cards over 32gb are already formatted exFAT

Partially incorrect. Most microSD cards, when purchased, are formatted NTSF. Notice I didn't say "all"...only "most". This is due to the fact that manufacturers realize that most of these cards will be used in PCs & Macs. While the NTSF format is native to Windows, Apple has licensed the format so that Macs can still read/write, this enabling files to be easily transferred between Windows & Mac PCs. It is for this reason that most microSD cards purchased for use in dash cams, GPSs, drones, etc must be reformatted into either exFAT (if larger than 32GB) or FAT32 (if 32GB, or smaller). As for the remainder of the cards, yes, they do typically come formatted exFAT.

Partially incorrect. Most microSD cards, when purchased, are formatted NTSF. Notice I didn't say "all"...only "most". This is due to the fact that manufacturers realize that most of these cards will be used in PCs & Macs. While the NTSF format is native to Windows, Apple has licensed the format so that Macs can still read/write, this enabling files to be easily transferred between Windows & Mac PCs. It is for this reason that most microSD cards purchased for use in dash cams, GPSs, drones, etc must be reformatted into either exFAT (if larger than 32GB) or FAT32 (if 32GB, or smaller). As for the remainder of the cards, yes, they do typically come formatted exFAT.

I must have lead a sheltered life, every SDXC card I've had has been formatted exFAT, have never seen one that came out of the packet as NTFS

@reverend have you seen this at all?

ive never seen a default NTFS formatted SD card, or USB stick or anything for that matter, mostly because a large number of devices wont support the standard and use the cheaper(?) FAT32 exFAT standards. maybe there are some out there but in the last 15 years of working with the things ive never seen one

For anyone looking for some info on memory card for thinkware F750 i'm using Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 633x 64GB UHS-I/U1 (Up to 95MB/s Read in my dash cam. I'm living in Canada ig that helps any. I have had no problems with this card what so ever. Works perfectly. I bought the card from ebay for around $45 CAD. Here's the link if anyone wants it>>>>>>>>https://www.ebay.ca/itm/172214089009. Hope this helps someone

The 300x 64gb works too but 633x aren't that much more nowadays and should last longer?

I must have lead a sheltered life, every SDXC card I've had has been formatted exFAT, have never seen one that came out of the packet as NTFS

@reverend have you seen this at all?
No mate you wouldn't want NTFS on a memory card as it's a journaled file system so it would kill off the memory chips faster due to excessive writes - like you say they'd normally come out as FAT16 / FAT32 or exFAT depending on card size :)

No mate you wouldn't want NTFS on a memory card as it's a journaled file system so it would kill off the memory chips faster due to excessive writes - like you say they'd normally come out as FAT16 / FAT32 or exFAT depending on card size :)

if most cards are formatted NTFS perhaps he's been buying fake cards, not sure how else he would come to that conclusion :confused:

Back