Complete Review of G1W-C CAPACITOR based dash camera NT96650 + AR0330 1080p / 30Fps

The reason I ask is that I have read g1w firmware on a g1w-c does not shut down fast enough to prevent corrupting the last file.

Mine should be a "blueskysea" model from estore009. Maybe it will already come with the latest firmware. I won't know until it gets here, which should be in the next week or so.

:)

the issues on g1w-c is the cam didn't stop the recording once the power cut off. the capacitor version only last for few seconds.
using the latest firmware from the link above. the cam stop the recording immediately after the power has been cut off. the last file won't corrupt and the cam shut down by itself.
as far as I know all the g1w-c cam on ebays still use 2013 firmware. but there's some other model using other firmware that works without problem.

the issues on g1w-c is the cam didn't stop the recording once the power cut off. the capacitor version only last for few seconds.
using the latest firmware from the link above. the cam stop the recording immediately after the power has been cut off. the last file won't corrupt and the cam shut down by itself.
as far as I know all the g1w-c cam on ebays still use 2013 firmware. but there's some other model using other firmware that works without problem.

Upgraded to this firmware with no problems, thank you!

I am considering ordering a G1WC and I would like to know the best place to order it from. Also do most people use the supplied suction mount or the rear view mirror mount which seems to be about $3 extra? I am basically looking at Foxoffer (most expensive), estore009, gearbest (lowest price with coupon code).

mine is coming from estore009, I'll post up my findings when it gets here....

My g1w-c from estore009 showed up today.

After popping the Lexar 32gb micro Sd card in, a quick run from the post office to the house to confirmed it works. Reviewing the files revealed 1080P and 30 Fps.

Then it went right to the workbench and I pulled it open.

It's the "genuine" article. 966500 processor.

All the menus are as expected. HDMI port. Capacitor.

Shuts down almost immediately once power is removed.

Firmware 2014.0813.11

The CMOS is even mounted on a ribbon cable vice COB. Which is exactly the one I wanted.

Overall: very happy so far!

:)

yes it still has a battery symbol, if it had a battery inside you'd be able to power it up without external power, capacitor version needs the external power source

I bought the G1W-C thru Amazon and Synix was the supplier, I received it in 2 days. I'm certain they sent me the model with the battery as it definitely holds a charge after the power source is removed (have run it easily for 20-30 minutes without a power source). Mine has a battery symbol in the lower right of screen that displays the charge bars within the symbol. Then when a power source is applied, changes to a blinking symbol.

I'm actually okay with the battery model, but just wanted to let Synix know they sent me the wrong model. However, they believe they sent me a G1W-C model. Am I the confused one or Synix on this? "Hi,dear,this one is the G1W-C, the battery power indicator is show about the power not the battery,this G1W-C is chargeable,no need to plug into a power source if it has been charged full.Please check again." The one I ordered: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ3SQRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the G1W-C thru Amazon and Synix was the supplier, I received it in 2 days. I'm certain they sent me the model with the battery as it definitely holds a charge after the power source is removed (have run it easily for 20-30 minutes without a power source). Mine has a battery symbol in the lower right of screen that displays the charge bars within the symbol. Then when a power source is applied, changes to a blinking symbol.

I'm actually okay with the battery model, but just wanted to let Synix know they sent me the wrong model. However, they believe they sent me a G1W-C model. Am I the confused one or Synix on this? "Hi,dear,this one is the G1W-C, the battery power indicator is show about the power not the battery,this G1W-C is chargeable,no need to plug into a power source if it has been charged full.Please check again." The one I ordered: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ3SQRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

G1w-c can only works for few second if u unplug the power source. Only battery can hold power until 30 minutes. If u are unsure dissambly the unit and look at inside.

Capacitor version shuts down within a second or so and could not physically run for more than about 30 seconds tops, running longer than that without being plugged in shows you have a battery version

I found it has a strong blue tint in night urban scene. Settings has no tint or color adjustment. bought from Gearbest lately, firmware is same as the lastest shown in the thread; model is the -C one. There is white balance setting but only in photo mode, not for video. anyone noticed it? e.g. Green on traffic light appears to be blue instead, so it's quite bad.

It's a dashcam, they're not colour accurate

Thank you for your opinion. I would hope the response be more like "it's a cheap toy, that's why they are not colour accurate." instead because some dashcam might still be able to produce green as green, and thus would not be a correct description.

If it is a dashcam, why do they have video specs as 1920x1080 Full HD at 30fps and 12Mbps video bit rate (granted it's slightly less than 12 actually), lens spec at F1.8, WDR etc? There is no need to since they don't need accurate colour to begin with anyway. I'd say a VGA resolution would be sufficient then. (and possibly save some cost at the same time).

As dashcam is often referred to a "blackbox", its purpose is meant to be used as evidence. If you reported that this green car hit you and ran off, but your video showed a blue car, then it could produce a problem. If you didn't see what colour that car was, and only had the video, then you also can't tell if it was a blue or green car. This is just an example of course, I am not saying that this alone will make or break a crime or insurance case.

A dashcam = not accurate colour is a cop out answer, no offense. If anyone else has a TECHNICAL answer, I would love to hear it.

it's not a cop out answer, if they make the colours more accurate you'll find the camera will suffer in other areas, if you use a digital video camera you can adjust the settings to suit any environment when you see the need, full sun, low light, night etc, a dashcam does not have that luxury and needs to be set to find a balance that will work for all situations and work within the capabilities (and in this case the limitations) of the hardware, finding middle ground is not easy, take that same hardware and fine tune it for good colour reproduction and you'll find that other situations will not be as accurate then, low light, shadow detail, full sun etc, it's a trade off to get a workable average

you're also talking about a low price entry level product with limited firmware support, it's unlikely to get as much fine tuning as a higher quality, better spec'd (and higher priced) product

it's not a cop out answer, if they make the colours more accurate you'll find the camera will suffer in other areas, if you use a digital video camera you can adjust the settings to suit any environment when you see the need, full sun, low light, night etc, a dashcam does not have that luxury and needs to be set to find a balance that will work for all situations and work within the capabilities (and in this case the limitations) of the hardware, finding middle ground is not easy, take that same hardware and fine tune it for good colour reproduction and you'll find that other situations will not be as accurate then, low light, shadow detail, full sun etc, it's a trade off to get a workable average

you're also talking about a low price entry level product with limited firmware support, it's unlikely to get as much fine tuning as a higher quality, better spec'd (and higher priced) product

Now you admitted that it was because of low price, then it's a much better answer than before.

Yes, and that's why I was not complaining nor whining about it, instead I was inquiring about it on the technical reason. Unfortunately, you have suggested a possibility of the technical reason, but not a factual technical reason itself. A P&S from name brand camera manufacturers (Fuji / Olympus) and the likes, is often sold at the price of this dashcam, yet they don't have this problem.

The thing is that the problem is rather severe. It's not just off tint, but a completely different tint as green traffic light appears completely blue without even a hint of green. Do you have the same experience? Or is it just mine?

This is my first dashcam, I waited many years before buying one, knowing that the technology has been improving vastly. This is not a new product sector, as it has been around for 10+ years already (just a rough guess).

Compromise I do understand, I just don't understand that they didn't compromise on the resolution, frame rate, bit rate, and yet they compromise on the colour reproduction?

As for adjusting for various environment, unfortunately I haven't had time to be out driving in the day yet, but I will soon (it gets very dark very soon here up north) and will report back.

Again, if there is anyone who has a factual technical explanation about this (e.g. it is the CMOS sensor that has a skew colour in the night time, no fix; or it's because of WDR that has skewed it. etc (I am just making this up myself)), please share.

Now you admitted that it was because of low price, then it's a much better answer than before.

it's not because of low price, it's a by product of low price, most likely the lens has been changed to a different supplier and the colour profile is different to what the firmware is adjusted to, you get what you get with these kinds of generic product from a lot of sellers, firmware updates only happen for deal breaker problems like won't record, even then not always, not all of these do it but likely a different batch, that said though dashcams that are good at detail don't always show accurate colours under all circumstances, ones that do often perform poorly in some environments, poor shadow detail, problems with direct sun etc

A P&S from name brand camera manufacturers (Fuji / Olympus) and the likes, is often sold at the price of this dashcam, yet they don't have this problem.

find a nice accurate point and shoot camera, set it to auto and you'll find it won't work great as a dashcam, brand name cameras don't change from production run to production run with no adjustment or support either

My g1w-c shows green traffic lights just fine in low light/dark conditions....
dunno.gif

@petepete has two G1W cameras and they have totally different night vision. Total luck of the draw like Jokiin says.

FYI: My last firmware was 2013.1126.16. (issue: last file error because the unit didn't shut down properly)

For G1W-C user who have this kind of issues:
- Last File error
- unit didn't turn off properly
- Setting became default after reboot
Try this firmware. it will upgrade your firmware into 2014.0813.11 .
I've upload it to my Google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B90I_Yu3gbxGNDQ3NGg0Mi1xamM/view?usp=sharing
n.b. do it at your own risk!!!

TUTORIAL:
1. Download from the link above
2. Format your Micro SD
3. put the Bin File on root of your micro sd
4. Plug in the Micro SD
5. Plug in the USB (to power up the G1W-C)
6. The screen goes blank for few second, and then boot up
7. Check the firmware version. it should be 2014.0813.11
8. Format Your card using the G1W-C
9. Try to reboot if the problem still exist (mine works fine after 4-5times reboot)
10. Hope this work for you guys.

Thank you very much! I believe my firmware version was 2013.05329.11, but I was too excited to update to write it down. Before there was just a green screen that said "WELCOME" and now there is a blueskysea logo. I just updated, but it seems to be properly shutting down before powering off.

I have an issue with this dash cam, on cold mornings it locks on the welcome screen at below about 15c until I warm the car with the heater. Strange!

Hey guys, I'm looking for some good stable mounts for my two G1W'c's. I found a rear view mirror mount, but now I'm looking for a back window mount.

Thanks

Back