Complete Review of Urive Albatross II MD-7500P 1080p + 720p

Well, I'm definitely not the world traveller you guys are, so I'm sure you have more insight than I do on the matter. I've seen many travel shows that mention the importance of negotiating on purchases at these "foreign to me" flea markets, but I've always thought of the process in terms of saving money, not to avoid offending someone. Ofcourse I also like to keep as much of my money as possible, so I'm sure I won't run the risk of "insulting" anyone if I ever got the chance to travel and buy.

Hey Jokiin, what kind of deal can you offer on your products? ;)

KuoH

For them in many cases is very important that you negotiating, even maybe a little bit, but still there is an action going on. If you will not negotiate, then they can not feel WIN over you.

Well maybe I'm just more conscious of the difference. Looking at the still night shot at the stop lights behind the red car, the car on the right was very evident on the Pano, but only the shadow was visible on the Albatross. Also the building on the left was mostly cut off on the Albatross. It's good for what it does see, but I guess I'm just used to having more of the scene recorded.

KuoH

agree. Of course there are differences in FOV, no doubt, especially side view. There are pros and cons with wide FOV. I was just impressed that from my memory Albatross II 120 diagonal FOV is the same or even better than DOD LS300W 140 FOV diagonal advertised. I might be wrong, has to do side by side tests with dod ls300w when get time, but that was my first impression. Panorama2 of course beats FOV, no doubt.

Besides, this is not just a brand, - it holds Top positions in Korea

I'd like to know the market figures for Korea, I've spoken to three or four different brands now that seem to hold the top spot in Korea, they can't all be number one in the market

Oh but I'm afraid you may be too polite to admit if I might offend you, so I must insist on negotiating. How does 50% sound to you? Very easy to calculate and everybody is happy happy, right right? :p

KuoH

Don't worry, I promise not to be offended if you pay full price :D

Oh but I'm afraid you may be too polite to admit if I might offend you, so I must insist on negotiating. How does 50% sound to you? Very easy to calculate and everybody is happy happy, right right? :p

KuoH
Sure, when we meet in a middle East flea market its a done deal

I'm afraid I don't have that many airline miles saved up. Maybe I can find us a buy/sell forum with a middle east IP address? Just make sure you don't let them sneak one of those data stealing wifi chips into your dashcams! I don't want to find my bad driving posted all over Youtube! :p

KuoH

I'd like to know the market figures for Korea, I've spoken to three or four different brands now that seem to hold the top spot in Korea, they can't all be number one in the market

I have added some market share and sales figures in Part 1 and Part 10.

Urive claims to have those numbers:

( from Part 1 )

Introduction

Some facts about Urive brand:

- Urive is one of the best selling Dash camera brands in Korea.
- Urive is the second biggest market share(20.1%), and first market share among High-end Dashcam brand in Korea.
- Around 3200 dealerships of Urive in Korea

Units sold:
- in 2012, average 25,000 units are sold monthly
- in 2013, average 20,000 units are sold monthly
- 60% of total sales is Albatross II, 20% of total sales is Albatross, 20% is rest.
- nearly around 100,000 units of Albatross II sold from day it was released.
In accordance with official company report, their sales are around US$ 42,300,000 in 2012. US$24,600,000 in the first half 2013.
- Urive Albatross II was released in Korea to public sale in March 2013

( from Part 10 )

The company will be KOSDAQ market listed in November 2013; IPO [Initial Public Offering]

In accordance with official company report, their sales is around US$ 42,300,000 in 2012. US$24,600,000 in the first half 2013.

not doubting their sales numbers, just saying I've seen a few that claim to be number one, don't seem to have any reporting body that actually qualifies them, in Australia we have GFK reports, makes it harder to claim something as it's easily checked

not doubting their sales numbers, just saying I've seen a few that claim to be number one, don't seem to have any reporting body that actually qualifies them, in Australia we have GFK reports, makes it harder to claim something as it's easily checked

You have a point. It would be interesting to find Korean side like Australian "GFK"-reports for more clear answers.

it's a strong market and no doubt there are good numbers done by many suppliers, there are lots of suppliers there also, although I'm sure some are a lot stronger than others

it's just out of interest really, and to be honest I don't think I'd be as interested if it wasn't for the fact that I've heard multiple brands claiming to be the number one seller, outside of Korea I don't think it matters as much who is number one etc as a lot of what they do isn't as appealing to the western market, what works in Korea doesn't automatically translate into success in other markets

Great review Niko. What are your thoughts on pixelation / compression artifacts?

In your youtube video (4 minutes 30 seconds) with trees, it seems like an issue.

There are few factors:

1. youtube compression. download raw file, it looks better but of course not resolving pixeleration in that spot ( 4 min 30 sec ):

1ch Urive Albatross II City ( Shopping Centre ) (5).avi (88.8 MB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!CQ511K7a!TAcftTFQ649PrWEff3uxLEnsYnssAnzuF4xOsUDNhlY

2. after few dozens dash camera tests I have done, driving same route, I can make conclusion, - that place ( on video 4 min 30 sec ) where I am driving out from car park, stopping, in front of me there are on the right side some trees, left side is a lot of sun, when starting turning right, then there is a moment when camera records firstly a lot of sun and adjusts AE, AWB etc accordingly, but suddenly there are trees where between branches sun is still shining ( flickering ), so CMOS sensor struggles to collect sturdy light effect and CPU ( firmware ) struggles to work our and adjust correct AE, AWB. That kind of pixelaration I saw on many other dash cams I tested when driving in same spot at same light conditions where sun was at almost same spot in the sky shining between trees branches.
If you look all other clips, its rare where you find similar situation. It's just unusual combination of different factors ( direct sun, trees, etc ) where dash camera struggles and not only Urive, but most of them had same hard job to do.

I will see if get good sunny day and try few dashcams side by side to drive the same spot, so can publish my research regarding that spot.

I am seeing some front and rear cameras for my car, almost gone for blackvue dr550, but this looks better.
Thanks for detailed review.

It is quite smaller than i expected. can anyone exactly write the size?

I am seeing some front and rear cameras for my car, almost gone for blackvue dr550, but this looks better.
Thanks for detailed review.

It is quite smaller than i expected. can anyone exactly write the size?

Yes, size is rather small than it first look on original pictures which might put off most buyers, "never judge book by its cover".

Exact dimentions of front and rear cam you find from Part 1 Specs.

Also comparison with Blackvue here

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/urive-albatross-ii.1133/page-2#post-24643

As per video quality it beats Blackvue but lacks wifi and higher in price but has big advantage of touchscreen lcd where you can operate quickly. So there are pros and cons to decide which 2ch best suits for each individual buyer, to go with wifi on blackvue or better video quality of urive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part 3

PC Viewer / Configuration settings

It's says the the video is private.

Part 3

PC Viewer / Configuration settings
It's says the the video is private.

Thank you for attention. I must be occidentally clicked on youtube "ptivate" option on the first place. Now changed.

Thank you for attention. I must be occidentally clicked on youtube "ptivate" option on the first place. Now changed.

Thank you and I really like your review, I just bought one last night.

What is the firmware version your camera came with?

I'm looking on their website and there is an update 2.0 for the camera and the viewer.

Back