Connect rear cam to nextbase 512gw

I'm not surprised at all really, this story regarding the rear view cam is beginning to sound like a joke. is there really a cam?? is it really on the books?? is this just a gimmick to sell the 512GW? as stated once before this is a camera not a new invention so just why on earth is it taking such a ridiculous amount of time to get sorted, I bought the 512GW in Oct with the intention of using the rear cam with it.
I'm a patient person but now being told its still some time off is quiet ridicules! at this rate the 512GW will be incompatible with the rear view then NextBass will probably be advising us to update the main cam!!! we've all been told different explanations regarding the rear view.
I for one am beginning to regret I ever bought the 512GW which wasn't by any means cheep! Come on Next Bass get this Rear View camera on the shop shelves.
We are hoping to release the 512GW rear cam into Halfords for the end of the month.
This will retail at around £60/70.(Nextbase email)
Oooooo, best start saving.... Thanks....

Great news. I will look out for it. What will it be called?

Great news. I will look out for it. What will it be called?
I presume it will be 512gw rear cam,as it only fits the 512.Theres another thread on here that has a pic of it.(y)

I'm not surprised at all really, this story regarding the rear view cam is beginning to sound like a joke. is there really a cam?? is it really on the books?? is this just a gimmick to sell the 512GW?

A company like Nextbase I imagine would never be so dishonest, it'd cripple them!!

If I knew the absolute ins and outs of what it takes to produce a dashcam I'd probably be able to answer exactly why it could take so long to release a company's own "version" of an already existing concept... but I don't

Maybe other companies' rear view cams might be problematic and nextbase want to make sure theirs don't face the same issues, or maybe it's to do with nextbase's existing technology/hardware/software, needing special requirements to communicate with a rear cam? All guesses

I presume it will be 512gw rear cam,as it only fits the 512.Theres another thread on here that has a pic of it.(y)

Surely it won't be specific to the 512gw. It'd make sense for it to work with future cams...

Is there an official picture and specification of the rear cam? Can you give us the link? I have not seen anything outside of this thread.

My guess is that "all hands on deck" to deal with 612GW problems.
I worked in this kind of industry until I recently retired (hardware/software design) and much of what I have learned in this thread does not add up.

Thanks for the response Tiffany and the pics. Also useful to pick up on the interplay with the 612GW (reasons for no rear cam).

Hi @RoVic

It is definitely coming and not a gimmick - You have seen the images of the real 512GW rear cam on my desk I posted in the other thread (linked above) as I note you have liked the image.

I am really sorry if the delay is causing frustrations, I completely get the importance of having the rear covered. We're working on it as hard as we can.

just bought a Nextbase 512GW, does the R-Cam socket on top of dashcam mean i can attach a second cam for rear window possibly a 312 or 412.

Does the second cam draw power from the from the 512GW or does it need a separate power source, also am I restricted to nextbase to connect to the 512gw?
i have just had email from next base and the rear camera
It’s due out in the Autumn, here’s some info:

The resolution will be 1080p,
It’ll record the data onto the SD card inside the 512GW,
It will take power from the 512GW,
It will cost around £50-£70.

The benefit is it will save on the extra hardwire kit and SD card and have front and rear files consecutively.

i have just received a email from next base and the rear camera will be available at the end of the month (January) from Halfords at a cost of £70.

I have a hard wired 412 GW if I decide to upgrade to a 512GW plus rear camera (when available) would the 412GW power source power the 512GW

Hi @RoVic

It is definitely coming and not a gimmick - You have seen the images of the real 512GW rear cam on my desk I posted in the other thread (linked above) as I note you have liked the image.

I am really sorry if the delay is causing frustrations, I completely get the importance of having the rear covered. We're working on it as hard as we can.

Hi Tiffany,

Quick question, I'm super happy to see the rear cam is nearly here, however I was wondering could it be used a rear parking cam too?

Cheers,

Leon

Hi @RoVic

I called Halfords today and to my disappointment they said that this rear cameras is not being released in store until March/April!!!!!! It was supposed to be the end of this month.?? I bought the 512 the other week because of the anticipated release of the rear cam. Whats going on? Why is this being delayed further? Whats the holdup?

We are hoping to release the 512GW rear cam into Halfords for the end of the month.
This will retail at around £60/70.(Nextbase email)

I rang Halfords today who said its gunna be March/April. I aint happy!

March/April! What a joke!
This is a pretty good demonstration of what NextBase really think of their customers.
No formal announcement from NextBase all this time, just a load of secondary information.
I don't hold out any hope that it will be around in April/May.
Thanks NextBase.

March/April! What a joke!
This is a pretty good demonstration of what NextBase really think of their customers.
No formal announcement from NextBase all this time, just a load of secondary information.
I don't hold out any hope that it will be around in April/May.
Thanks NextBase.
Hi ya. I know right! I spoke to tech support yesterday. They said the rear cameras are in their office but are still going through lab testing. He said there are 8 indiviudal testings for any electrical products sold in the EU. They said they are about half way through these testings and said it's a long process to ensure the product is safe for consumer before release. No solid release date yet :( he took my email address and set me up for email notifications so hopefully we will have an official release date soon.

Back