Connect rear cam to nextbase 512gw

Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just bought a Nextbase 512GW, does the R-Cam socket on top of dashcam mean i can attach a second cam for rear window possibly a 312 or 412.

Does the second cam draw power from the from the 512GW or does it need a separate power source, also am I restricted to nextbase to connect to the 512gw?

I was wondering this too, maybe there will be a future accessory that plugs in there? The manual doesn't say much.

13. Rear Camera Input (located under dust cover)
Used to connect an auxiliary rear camera (sold separately), contact your local Nextbase dealer for availability.

I've sent a email off to Nextbase support but I'll probably never hear from them, if I strike lucky I'll out the response here.

Got a reply this morning from Next base :
"
Hello
The rear cam as mentioned is still in development stage currently and wont be released for another 2/3 months, we don’t have an official release date yet.
You can always use a separate cam for the rear and get it hardwired in. A 112 or 212 can work well.

Thanks
Sales & Marketing Support

Nextbase UK"

Ah, just as I thought. I'll be keeping an eye out :)

It’s due out in the Autumn, here’s some info:

The resolution will be 1080p,
It’ll record the data onto the SD card inside the 512GW,
It will take power from the 512GW,
It will cost around £50-£70.

The benefit is it will save on the extra hardwire kit and SD card and have front and rear files consecutively.

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing what the device actually looks like :D I bet you'll save the firmware release for the release or the rear camera so that turning off low quality videos would actually make sense :p

OK. We're entering 2018 and still there is no rear view camera to attach to the 512GW as promised.
I only found out after I bought my 512GW that a very important feature I need is not actually there.
What is happening? Forecast was Autumn 2017?

Sometimes delays happen when creating something new, teething problems, fine tuning. I expect it can't be very far off ready now and Nextbase would understand your frustration as a customer.

It wasn't "promised", it was "due".

OK. Thanks for the update, but it would be nice to know when it will now be available. I've had my 512GW for 5 months now.
The rear cam might be aborted if the 512GW is outdated.

You're not alone anyway, There is a nextbase rep on this forum, she'll most likely come across this thread next time she's on, and might be better able to give you a timescale, and also add you to her list of people who are wanting to know when it's ready. (yep, she actually has a list :D)

Hello @Grogerus

You're certainly not alone; admittedly its gone a little quiet over the holiday period regarding information but it is taking longer than expected. I am so sorry about this, I will be in touch.

Thanks for the replies. I think I should add that I am very pleased with my 512GW. An excellent piece of kit.
I have a campervan and need a cam at the tailgate window. I'm also a GoPro enthusiast so I have additional use of the Nextbase cams footage.

Great to hear - have you needed to use it yet for any incidents?

Which camper van is it? The cable will be 6m long, would this be suitable?

No incidents yet (thankfully).
I have a VW T5 so 6m should be just right.

I'm patiently waiting to see if and when this rear camera emerges as I'm looking to upgrade from my DOD LS360W cam to this..

Liking the idea of the new Sony exmor sensor.. The other cam I'm looking at is the DOD LS475W+..... But nearly twice the price. This cam along with additional rear camera would still be cheaper....

I do have one question though as I am struggling to find an answer online. Is, what size aperture does this cam have... My present one is F1.6.. Really helps in low light...

Thanks in advance....

Edit: ok found it on a pic of camera itself... It is a F1.6... Sweet....

71f099e59cf36ff2f99b293bd37bb92b.jpg

Last edited:
Confused. I thought you were asking for the aperture of the rear camera which does not yet exist.
Moreover nobody knows when it will be available.

Confused. I thought you were asking for the aperture of the rear camera which does not yet exist.
Moreover nobody knows when it will be available.
My bad, should've been more clearer ...

OK. We're entering 2018 and still there is no rear view camera to attach to the 512GW as promised.
I only found out after I bought my 512GW that a very important feature I need is not actually there.
What is happening? Forecast was Autumn 2017?

I'm not surprised at all really, this story regarding the rear view cam is beginning to sound like a joke. is there really a cam?? is it really on the books?? is this just a gimmick to sell the 512GW? as stated once before this is a camera not a new invention so just why on earth is it taking such a ridiculous amount of time to get sorted, I bought the 512GW in Oct with the intention of using the rear cam with it.
I'm a patient person but now being told its still some time off is quiet ridicules! at this rate the 512GW will be incompatible with the rear view then NextBass will probably be advising us to update the main cam!!! we've all been told different explanations regarding the rear view.
I for one am beginning to regret I ever bought the 512GW which wasn't by any means cheep! Come on Next Bass get this Rear View camera on the shop shelves.

I'm not surprised at all really, this story regarding the rear view cam is beginning to sound like a joke. is there really a cam?? is it really on the books?? is this just a gimmick to sell the 512GW? as stated once before this is a camera not a new invention so just why on earth is it taking such a ridiculous amount of time to get sorted, I bought the 512GW in Oct with the intention of using the rear cam with it.
I'm a patient person but now being told its still some time off is quiet ridicules! at this rate the 512GW will be incompatible with the rear view then NextBass will probably be advising us to update the main cam!!! we've all been told different explanations regarding the rear view.
I for one am beginning to regret I ever bought the 512GW which wasn't by any means cheep! Come on Next Bass get this Rear View camera on the shop shelves.
We are hoping to release the 512GW rear cam into Halfords for the end of the month.
This will retail at around £60/70.(Nextbase email)

Back