COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott Morrison - Australia's "day of hope", as he signs a letter of intent with UK-based drug company AstraZeneca to manufacture 25 million doses of Oxford University's COVID-19 vaccine for Australia:

He said he expected there would be "long queues, socially distanced of course" to get the vaccine, which would be "the absolute ticket to get back to some sort of normal society and the things that we all love and enjoy."

"Certainly, we've got to get about 95 per cent [coverage] and so we'd be applying that as well [as] taking medical advice ... but that's what I would be expecting," he said.

"You would expect it to be mandatory?" host Neil Mitchell then asked.

"I would expect it to be as mandatory as you can possibly make it. There are always exemptions for any vaccine on medical grounds, but that should be the only basis," the Prime Minister replied.

The Prime Minister said Australia would also "play an important role in supporting our Pacific family" after discussions with the prime ministers of Papua New Guinea and Fiji, along with Indonesian President Joko Widodo.

An explanation of why our immune systems make the antibodies disappear after a while:

Bill Gates listening to the science and being sensible about how much extra immunity is needed for herd immunity:

First Quarantine Raves and now this! What's the deal with these Brits? Clearly a self-inflicted catastrophe in the making.

Inside the illegal Airbnb nightclubs wreaking havoc on London
Short-term rental listings across London are being turned into illegal pop-up nightclubs that risk aiding the spread of coronavirus

airbnb_london.jpg

I dont get Airbnb, i would never have a stranger unsupervised in my apartment, make me have even less faith in my fellow man if they are stupid enough to do that stuff.

I dont get Airbnb, i would never have a stranger unsupervised in my apartment, make me have even less faith in my fellow man if they are stupid enough to do that stuff.

Yeah, I completely agree! My neighbor has been renting out her house to a procession of Ainbnb weirdos and I live out in the country in the middle of nowhere so it is especially disconcerting. I was working on my truck out in my driveway and suddenly I saw something flying across my yard into the shrubs in front of my barn. Suddenly, a crazed dog goes running across my lawn and starts digging in and ripping up the mulch around the bushes. Then I see some guy who was apparently walking his dog and he felt it was perfectly OK to throw some sort of doggy toy cloth Frisbee onto my property so his dog could go and retrieve it except that the dog was into being very destructive. When I yelled at the dog to get the F out of there and then asked the guy WTF he was doing, he had a real attitude. I finally told him if he didn't want anything bad to happen to his bleeping dog he should keep the critter off my property. Many of my neighbors walk their dogs past my place all the time and the dogs are always welcome if they should come around but my neighbors don't intentionally use my front yard as a public dog park. Where I live my house is at least 1/3 or more of a mile from the next closest house.

Last edited:
relying on their superior genetic bloodlines and herd immunity I guess :p
8 continuous weeks with deaths below the 5 year average, people in hospital due to covid down 25% in the last 2 weeks, testing up over the last week, positive tests down over the last week.

And that is with indoor sporting and music events having their audience back, so yes, every sign that most of the country now has sufficient herd immunity and covid is now much less of an issue than the flu which appears to be returning to normal levels. There are still a few warm spots which didn't get enough exposure during the peak and so cases are still smouldering, but very few.

These parties add to the herd immunity, and are very good at targeting those most likely to get themselves infected with new infections from outside the country, while also being those at less risk of needing hospital treatment, so they will help to bring the epidemic to an proper end sooner rather than later.

They're renting unattended AirBNB's here to receive drug shipments made through normal rapid-shipping channels, and it's hard to catch the creeps as they're using false shipping names and phoning someone else to drive by and grab the box off the front porch when it arrives so they can deny knowledge. It's nearly impossible to catch anyone since everything happens so fast :( Parties haven't been much of a problem since the participants and the homeowner can be charged with various crimes and those can be more easily and quickly enforced. It's easy and relatively cheap to rent a private nightclub here for events and they're better suited for that so that's what usually happens ;)

The new cases and death rates are steadily dropping here in SC but very slowly. It's being said that this is probably due to mask laws and the schools not being fully re-opened which is preventing excess spread among children who would have likely taken the infection back home to their families had there been normal school attendance. The hospital admittance rates are way down and have been for some time as it seems that many of the most vulnerable people have had their round with the disease. Nursing homes are still being heavily protected so those outbreak hot-spots are less now.

People here are now getting used to the 'new world' we're facing and understanding that it's going to be like this for at least several more months to come, perhaps longer. We've got maybe 6 weeks of our 'tourist season' left to go, after which those areas are expected to settle down to rates similar to the rest of the State. The non-believers and anti-vaxxers are no longer so vocal spreading their stupidity and the elected officials who mishandled this are now seeing how it's going to adversely affect their career plans. It's now clear to everyone that at this point there's nothing left to do except ride out whatever is coming as best we can, since the chances for making positive changes are all gone now. Maybe we will do better next time, for it's clear that there will be a "next time" and nobody knows when.

Phil

Everything's going to be just ducky in the Untied Kingdom. :eek:

DISASTER DOSSIER:
Leaked document reveals Cabinet’s emergency plans for perfect storm of No Deal Brexit and coronavirus second wave

EMERGENCY plans have been drawn up to protect the UK from the perfect storm of a winter second wave of Covid-19 coinciding with a No Deal Brexit, a leaked document shows.

The planners warned that “pandemic influenza, severe flooding, a Covid second wave and an unruly exit from the EU transition period could cause a systemic economic crisis with major impact on disposable incomes, unemployment, business activity, international trade and market stability.”

• One in 20 Town Halls could go bust in a second Covid wave, sparking social care chaos.
  • The economic impact of the virus and Brexit could cause public disorder, shortages and price hikes.
  • Troops may have to be drafted on to the streets to help the police in the worst-case scenario — 1,500 are already on stand by.
  • Social distancing measures and masks will have to continue until 2021 regardless.
  • Supplies of food and fuel are all under threat this Christmas if Dover becomes blocked.
  • Navy will be needed to protect fishing fleet from illegal EU boat incursions
  • Parts of Britain may be hit by shortages of power and petrol as 8,500 trucks get stuck at Dover.

The Trump administration is considering bypassing normal US regulatory standards to fast-track an experimental coronavirus vaccine from the UK for use in America ahead of the presidential election, according to three people briefed on the plan.

FDA could use emergency authorisation rules despite fears over high-profile resignations due to safety concerns

Mark Meadows, White House chief of staff, and Steven Mnuchin, Treasury secretary, have told top Democrats that the administration was considering fast-tracking a vaccine... Mr Meadows said in the meeting that there could be emergency authorisation, possibly for the AstraZeneca vaccine, in September.

I heard South Korea, much praised for their take on the #1 wave are looking at a tsunami now

I don't much pay attention to this stuff anymore. As I said earlier the time for making the proper decisions has passed, and all that's left now is to wait and see what happens from here on because at this point that cannot be changed.

Phil

I heard South Korea, much praised for their take on the #1 wave are looking at a tsunami now
They will probably get it sort of under control like Australia has, but it will require extended lockdowns continuing until a vaccine is available, if you don't have immunity then outbreaks are inevitable.

Trump doesn't quite have the legal authority to fast track a vaccine but then again, neither the Constitution or the laws of the nation seem to be a concern for him or the political operatives he's illegally installed in key positions. We can expect him to do just about anything to try to hold onto office come November.

legal authority
That is never an issue for a dictator ;)

Neither is controlling the party that put them in power:
This week’s Republican National Convention will be a four-day celebration of President Donald Trump.
Trump’s children, including Ivanka Trump, Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, will get prominent speaking roles.

That is never an issue for a dictator ;)

That was my point. The Trump administration has been aptly described as "a transnational crime syndicate masquerading as a government."

That's a quote from astute scholar and journalist Dr. Sarah Kendzior who is an authority on how governments descend into authoritarian rule. UK factors strongly into that equation as well.
Just finished reading her latest book, Hiding in Plain Sight: The Invention of Donald Trump and the Erosion of America - A very worthwhile read!

Trump officially approves unproven covid treatment, neither doctor or professor have anything good to say about it!
"The data does not support the approval of this drug, that is clear, I've seen the data."

I can't understand why USA hospitals are not doing proper scientific trials, seems more like a country of witch doctors! (Snake oil salesmen as the professor put it.) Or why they didn't get on with the vaccine testing ASAP, seems they are only now starting the tests of the Oxford vaccine as the infections die away making testing ineffective, while Brazil, South Africa and India all got going ASAP and as the infections were ramping up allowing for collection of good data. The only proven drug so far for covid is Dexamethasone, currently saving 100s of thousands of lives, only found through the UK conducting widespread proper scientific trials throughout the hospital system. Proper scientific trials are essential, the UK and Brazilian trials also proved that Trump's Hydroxychloroquine not only doesn't work but is dangerous, without those trials Americans would probably now be being treated with Hydroxychloroquine instead of Dexamethasone since USA hospitals managed several unscientific trials that showed Hydroxychloroquine effectiveness, and the USA death rate would currently be 3x what it is!

hard to know what they're doing when Trump is the mouthpiece, he just makes it up as he goes along anyway, if something accidently works out to be true he takes the praise, if it doesn't he just says it never happened, fake news etc

Been used here for a while, doctors cant say there are much gained by that blood plasma treatment.
To me it more look like a scramble to try something / grabbing at straws treatment.

My municipality have become one of the active ones :( 92 out of 100.000 infected, 43 of those added in the past 2 weeks. 6200 tested in the past 2 weeks.
Worst hit municipality is Glostrup with 843 out of 100.000, 47 of those in the past 2 weeks, and only 800 or so tested in the past 2 weeks.

We still have several municipalities with 0 infected, i am inclined to think they are rural ones where people are more tough, so they dont even bother to go to the hospital they just stay at home and ride it out.
There are a few Danes still that have some degree of backbone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back