COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet there are a lot of people on the internet selling miracle cures for corona

image-asset.jpeg

Dont let it be said i am not looking after my gambling and in dire need of TP friends.

@Dashmellow : I don't disagree with the addictive-by-design part, but it's controllable if one wants to do that . In the last 12 days I've been online about 4-5 hours total mostly getting news reports. It's do-able for those who want to do it, it's that most people want much more.

Been thinking about your post here Phil. You've told us that you are currently in a remote location where you only have dial-up internet access. Under such circumstances you can't legitimately boast that you've only "been online about 4-5 hours total mostly getting news reports.", claiming that "it's controllable if one wants to do that."

If you are honest with yourself, I think you'll have to admit that under normal circumstances your internet usage and time online is very likely far more than that.

Personally, despite my best intentions when I sit down at my keyboard I often end up spending far more time online than I intend to when I started and this happens all the time. I can't count how many times I've looked at the time and been surprised and even shocked that I've indulged so much time online, (like on DCT for instance) when I otherwise have work to do. I'm confident that all of us do that quite often to one degree or another, including you.

I am often amused at how a few regulars here on DCT are practically always logged on here from early in the morning until late at night. My "habit" is a bit different. I take periodic breaks from work or whatever I may be doing throughout the day to check in here on DCT and to check out a few other things on the net. The addiction problem for me is that those "internet breaks" can go on far longer that I ever have in mind before I take them. (Like right now for instance! :smuggrin:)

The internet is an additive electronic drug. It is mostly designed to be; it's the nature of the beast.

:sneaky:
It is pretty evident how much i am online, but most of the time this page are just in a window of its own.
But you can now be pretty sure i am online somewhere, not least now that i don't have a TV to distract me.
Right now as i type i am listening / streaming the 18:30 news.
6.6 mill new unemployed in the US :eek: not having a job in the US are something completely different than not having a job in Denmark, due to the different ways we have chosen to build out societies.
And we will hurt by this too, the US do buy some stuff in Denmark, so their business will be sorely missed.

So i see.
I read a phone interview with a nurse down with the stuff, she said its the most god awful thing she have ever had
There are quite a few people have said that, but then 75% of people never know that they have had it, and for most of the rest it is not much more than a normal cold. Seems that the amount you are exposed to may affect the outcome, if you are only exposed to a tiny amount then your immune system has more time to do its job before things get bad.

I admit it, but at least its not on my phone, as proof i submit screen dumps of my so called digital well being for the past 3 days.
today / yesterday / day before yesterday.

Screenshot_2020-04-02-18-46-44-719_com.google.android.apps.wellbeing.jpgScreenshot_2020-04-02-18-46-57-079_com.google.android.apps.wellbeing.jpgScreenshot_2020-04-02-18-47-11-686_com.google.android.apps.wellbeing.jpg

The 1 hour 10 minutes on Tuesday was largely due to my waze like app going on the phone as i drove out to visit my old mother.
The norm of screen time are 30 minutes or less every day.

...I am often amused at how a few regulars here on DCT are practically always logged on here from early in the morning until late at night.
I'm probably one that falls into that category, but that's due in part because one of my computers functions as a file server and is running 24/7. It's not uncommon for me to get on DCT on it then walk away to do other things. Something I won't even be near that machine for days at a time but DCT still thinks I'm online.

I'm probably one that falls into that category, but that's due in part because one of my computers functions as a file server and is running 24/7. It's not uncommon for me to get on DCT on it then walk away to do other things. Something I won't even be near that machine for days at a time but DCT still thinks I'm online.

Yeah, sure....a likely story if we've ever heard one....(just kidding.:playful:)

I assume some members just stay logged in even if they're not paying attention to "what's new" but they're not really the ones I was talking about and you were not on my radar on this score. Some members seems to be perennially online and they post all during those periods as well and that's more like what I was talking about. It's not a judgement really, just an observation. Everybody is entitled to use the internet or the forum as they see fit. Nevertheless, I think we are all addicted to it in some fashion though.

As Dennis Leary said in his no cure for cancer routine " anyone who check their one feces for fiber have too much "fracking" free time on their hands"
But of course anyone should spend their time as they please, as long as others don't suffer by that.
And some people will neglect their own children or pets over god know what reasons.

I might be online doing research or watching youtube videos.
DCT is open but seldom in the window I am looking at. I check randomly as I think of it.
If a better option existed I could park the entire internet for several days and not miss it (and have).

I am pretty sure that if i won a little lotto money and could get me a garage and workshop to play around in, the internet and even the rest of my house would see far less of me.
It is far more enjoyable to see something tangible grow from your hands than line upon line of text, actually i have never really recognized people earning their money on a computer or CNC machine as working.
A bit silly i know.
To me work make your entire body tired not just the brain.

Last edited:

Smokers, illegal drug users, obese, diabetic, compromised immune system, over age 50 (especially over 60) and alcoholics are all endangered species thanks to this virus.

In short if you are not in excellent physical condition your risk from the corona virus is greater than it should be.

alcoholics are all endangered species
I hadn't heard of a medical connection? Although our government was recommending a regular alcohol free day as part of the lockdown...

Indeed.
AND !
After having been borderline extremely skinny all my life up until about 10 years ago i am now too heavy, i should clock in around 90 kilos but i am 110 instead.
Also after having been smoking cigarettes since i was 16 and cannabis since i was 18, and also up until about 10 years ago, and compounded by whatever nasty work related, then my lounges are not in good shape, almost to the level where just 1 of them are working, so i am not running and if i walk too fast i better have my inhaler at hand.
only good thing is i gave up drinking regular in my mid 20ties, and since then i have only been drinking 1 day in the year, so my liver should be fine.
Another good thing is i have no family of my own, so no one rely on me for anything but a little technical know how and off topic fun.
Maybe right now is the time to run up a huge debt and stick that to the bank when i kick the bucket :) serve them right.

And then again as it have also been proven many times in the past weeks you can be young and fit for fight, and still the stuff will kill you.

I am a little careful but for my mothers sake, it would suck if i was to infect her, or for her to outlive me.
But other than that,,,,,, bring it on.

Last edited:
And then again as it have also been proven many times in the past weeks you can be young and fit for fight, and still the stuff will kill you.
Probably not true, there will always be a reason why someone fails to win the fight.

75% of people don't even notice that they have it, the number that are dying is small, the number dying without some other known medical problem is very small. Problem with this virus is that there is a fairly small difference between your immune system winning in good time and not winning at all, anything that slows your immune system is critical, so limit your exposure to the virus, eat healthily, get some sunshine, and don't smoke.

True. no problem in a person being young and having a heart issue or something not detected before.
Its the same fit people that suddenly just keel over and die running their 120 marathon or something like that.

Everyone are scrambling to make a antibody test, saw a test of a prototype Danish one today, there was 10 ex infected peoples blood and 5 not infected peoples blood, and the kit detected the 5 never infected and 7 of the 10 former infected people.
So far from perfect so back to the drawing board.
TBH i have had a little throat issues and a tiny bit snotty nose, but i think its from driving in my car with the window down in the sun we had in the previous days, i am not coughing or anything like that, just feel like a really mild sore throat.

TBH i have had a little throat issues and a tiny bit snotty nose, but i think its from driving in my car with the window down in the sun we had in the previous days, i am not coughing or anything like that, just feel like a really mild sore throat.
Could easily be it, most colds are not spreading at the moment because of the lockdown, only things that spread fast can still spread.
You are also a few days from the peak, so this is the time you are most likely to catch it.

I might have erred...I thought I remembered seeing something about alcoholics livers would not react well to the virus. Maybe I remembered incorrectly? Of course...those who are drunk would have a hard time maintaining social isolation when they misjudge distances or start hugging people. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back