COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not like it one bit if Randers ( my town ) was closed down, and i am sure Americans / new yorkers with a even more profound individual freedom sense than Danes will be even more hurt by such measures.
But really i cant see any other way, and really the people in charge there should also have been on that ball for days, and slamming the door now / tonight.

If anyone know a better way please tell me and the NY governor, cuz its now or never.

O just saw France have joined the bad race, clocked in with 1120 dead in 24 hours :eek: mon dieu

There is a Danish facetwitt group called "DK Makers mod corona" , and its makers ( people with 3D printers ) making face guards for the hospitals, atm they make 3000 daily and are one of the largest makers of face visors in the country at the moment.

In Danish.

Last edited:
I think NY need to be cloeed down by the national guard, clearly people there are in a ME - ME - ME - ME mode and getting the hell out of Dodge, and this could be very bad for where ever they go.

Apparently, the states do not have the power to shut their borders. As far as I know, only the federal government can shut down state borders. A state like New York, for example, has borders with four other states as well as Canada and NY can't dictate what they do to close their borders.

Last edited:
I simply can not reconcile these 2 things.
I would quarantine everyone keeping them on that ship until they are shown to be virus free.
They seem to be USA citizens and the ship is in a USA port, so denying them hospital treatment seems unacceptable, and denying them the opportunity to go home also seems unreasonable.

It is not like they are bringing the virus into a virus free zone, Florida already has 9000 cases.

Of course they may be better off in quarantine on the ship where they are being looked after!

O just saw France have joined the bad race, clocked in with 1120 dead in 24 hours :eek: mon dieu
I think they have reached the peak for new cases, now catching up with the deaths, so they are looking like about half the death rate of Italy and Spain.
Today was a big spike on the deaths, must have found a pile of certificates to put into the count.

But really i cant see any other way, and really the people in charge there should also have been on that ball for days, and slamming the door now / tonight.
That is something the EU got right, no hospital tourism, otherwise everyone would be in Germany right now, even if reality might not actually match their reported numbers!

I think you have my friend beaten in open tabs then, before he upgraded his PC he often complained about his slow PC ( and it was just a cheap one ) but i told him, look at the top of your google browser, all those are not things you have bookmarked its things you have open in a tab and each take a little bite of your computers performance.
His new computer can handle it, but it was also put together by yours truly.
actually 60 tabs was a guess, just had a look, 95 tabs open at the moment :eek:

actually 60 tabs was a guess, just had a look, 95 tabs open at the moment :eek:
I have had a lot more than that open before. Reading certain articles, documents, and watching videos can take a lot of windows when trying to put many different pieces together to create a meaningful thesis. I would search for something, open as many documents in as many windows as possible so when I started to go through the various sources I could quickly go from one to the next.

If anyone has an interest in photography and improving your skills Nikon has free online classes through the end of this month.

Actually, too many open tabs drives me a bit bonkers. A good technique I like is to have a number of tabs open and then launch a new window with a new set of tabs, switching between windows when needed.

Actually, too many open tabs drives me a bit bonkers. A good technique I like is to have a number of tabs open and then launch a new window with a new set of tabs, switching between windows when needed.
the only reason I don't do it that way is if the browser window gets closed when you reopen you only get the tabs from whichever window was last open, some things are things I'm working on actively but not something I want to bookmark so just being able to have the active stuff in one place is helpful, I do go through about once a week and close any tabs that I've finished with so about half get closed off each time when that happens

the only reason I don't do it that way is if the browser window gets closed when you reopen you only get the tabs from whichever window was last open, some things are things I'm working on actively but not something I want to bookmark so just being able to have the active stuff in one place is helpful, I do go through about once a week and close any tabs that I've finished with so about half get closed off each time when that happens

Yeah, of course, whatever works best for your workflow is what you outa' do. For me if I've got too many tabs open on Firefox I can't read the titles on the tabs so well as they get scrunched together so that's why I launch a new window with new tabs.

Yeah, of course, whatever works best for your workflow is what you outa' do. For me if I've got too many tabs open on Firefox I can't read the titles on the tabs so well as they get scrunched together so that's why I launch a new window with new tabs.
I rely on recognising the favicons for the most part

States can't close borders, but they are free to regulate everything going on inside their borders provided that they do not treat persons from other States differently based on which individual State they're from. So while we can't exclude people from hotspots only, it's entirely conceivable that borders could be closed to all others except for allowing free passage to anyone crossing the State and not stopping to reside there. It would be rather easy to justify by doing it so that your own unknown Covid-19 cases aren't being allowed to infect other areas ;)

Being a Southerner myself, I'm quite aware that our 'Civil War' actually did nearly nothing to settle the issue of "States Rights" which was the actual basis for that war. The issue of slavery was only one part of that, and the issue which caused the first shot to be fired was actually over the principles of annulment and of secession. When it can be so clearly seen that a particular location is so deeply infected with a disease like this, there needs to be a way for all the other States to regulate it's effect on their own State(s) if the Governor of that involved State is not taking adequate action, yet we have no such mechanism at any level of our Government because we never addressed the States Rights issues at a National level. So if a Governor will not act, nobody elsewhere can change that, and if a Federal action it taken it must apply to all States equally o_O

My own State's Governer has also issued orders requiring all of the people from hotspot areas self-quarantine for 14 days on entering this State for any purposes of residency, and there are Criminal repercussions for those who will not comply, but for all intents and purposes it is unenforceable and therefore useless as a means to achieve the desired goals. We can't assign a Cop to each person/group to achieve this. There are only two ways to reach the desired goal and internment camps aren't going to be acceptable, which leaves one other way- to close our borders to all outsiders period. It's what should have been done Nationally months ago, similar to what we did on 9/11. It would not have stopped the disease, but it would have allowed us enough time to better assess it, better plan for it, and better handle it. Once lost, opportunities like that can never be compensated for, and the price we will pay for that error will be horrendous in terms of lives lost and financially too unless a cure and a vaccine is found and implemented quickly.

Phil

I do some of my cooking using a small canister butane stove. A can is 40 cents, here, lasts a week or so for normal use. For some reason the refills are in blocked off areas in the supermarkets. I am on last can, have crock pot I can use, and ordered an 8 dollar electric hot plate that should show up. (From china) in a few days.

My lady friend in a village in the far corner of the province is in 'quarantine' since she spent a few days in my city. I was told not to come see her or I would be quarantined, also. The quarantine is the directive of a minor village official, who is probably a pig farmer for his real job, is afraid of ghosts, and if has a fridge, says hello to the little man who lives inside and turns the lights on every time he opens the door.
It's better not to try to fight the idiots....on their turf, so will stay away.

In the meantime had dinner at one of the few open bar/restaurants last night with friends.

A few nights earlier had miserable pizza at a big chain place, that is still open...........and doesn't even sell beer to wash the taste of lousy pizza out of your mouth.

About half of the tables chairs removed...... a handful of customers, but doing normal delivery business.

The bad thing about thailand, is BAD pizza is expensive...and the thais don't know the difference....since they pour ketchup on top.

Not worth ordering for delivery, when you can get good thai food delivered for 1/10 the price of the bad pizza.

(there are a few good pizza places...closed due to covid, one will deliver a good, medium sized pizza, large bottle of beer, and order of wings for $12 US. A bit stiff for a solo dinner here......but in an emergency..... :) )

I think the state could legally shut down its borders as part of a quarantine decision. If a state can lock you in your house and does not allow others to enter your contaminated house why could the state not lock down its borders?

The state could not lock its borders to interfere with interstate commerce. It could do so to protect the safety of the people. If the state can sieze and destroy food to protect its people why can't a state close its borders to protect citizens therein from an infectious group of people coming from another state that could kill many in that state? I hate the concept of quarantine, forcing people to stay at home, and everything about quarantine in general but I also understand why even in extreme measures it could be considered to be necessary.

The cases below show the duty of the state to protect its people even from contagion.

The appellees argue that not all laws which facially discriminate against out-of-state commerce are forbidden protectionist regulations. In particular, they point to quarantine laws, which this Court has repeatedly upheld even though they appear to single out interstate commerce for special treatment. See Baldwin v. G. A. F. Seelig, Inc., supra, at 525; Bowman v. Chicago & Northwestern R. Co., 125 U. S., at 489...It is true that certain quarantine laws have not been considered forbidden protectionist measures, even though they were directed against out-of-state commerce. See Asbell v. Kansas, 209 U. S. 251; Reid v. Colorado, 187 U. S. 137; Bowman v. Chicago & Northwestern R. Co., supra, at 489. But those quarantine laws banned the importation of articles such as diseased livestock that required destruction as soon 629*629 as possible because their very movement risked contagion and other evils. Those laws thus did not discriminate against interstate commerce as such, but simply prevented traffic in noxious articles, whatever their origin. Philadelphia v. New Jersey, 437 US 617 - Supreme Court 1978

We are of opinion, however, that provision for a hearing before seizure and condemnation and destruction of food (poisoned food that was destroyed without its owners permission) which is unwholesome and unfit for use, is not necessary. The right to so seize is based upon the right and duty of the State to protect and guard, as far as possible, the lives and health of its inhabitants North American Cold Storage Co. v. Chicago, 211 US 306 - Supreme Court 1908

It is the duty of the State to protect its own citizens, within its own borders. Haddock v. Haddock, 201 US 562 - Supreme Court 1906

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back