COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another if the AIDA cruise ships docked in Denmark, this one in the port of Skagen on the top of Jutland.

Diva. the one in Frederica are named Mar.
2_2020458165.jpg

Looks like cruise liners know a friendly port when they see it, the circumstances are probably the same as with the other ship, so just crew and they will remain on board the ship.
But as the good hosts we are we will throw them a router and a fiber optic cable so they can do 8K face time with their family at home if the like to.

...To this day still the wildest "roller coaster" ride i have ever been on.
Mine is either landing on or taking off of an aircraft carrier - not sure which is more exciting but both certainly get your attention. :woot::woot:

Mine is either landing on or taking off of an aircraft carrier - not sure which is more exciting but both certainly get your attention. :woot::woot:
Depends on the aircraft carrier, in the UK we do it in a rather more relaxed and controlled way than USA aircraft carriers!

Yes you need either a swift kick in the back to get going, or a swift kick in the chest to land.

Ill take a F 18 super hornet launch and landing on "the big stick" anytime, would make my death a much happier one when that day come.

Last edited:
Yes you need either a swift kick in the back to get going, or a swift kick in the chest to land.

Ill take a F 18 super hornet launch and landing on "the big stick" anytime, would make my death a much happier one when that day come.
For the roller coaster ride, maybe, but why put all that stress on the airframe when you can take off using only a third of the deck by just winding up the engines and heading up the ski ramp while other aircraft are simultaneously landing behind you:

I really wish we Danes hadent ordered the F 35 lightning, IMO its like giving your 5 year old child a iphone 11 MAX 512 GB, the child do not need that.

I really wish we Danes hadent ordered the F 35 lightning, IMO its like giving your 5 year old child a iphone 11 MAX 512 GB, the child do not need that.
If you actually needed them for your own defence then no aircraft would be much use on your own, what you need is something that integrates with the combined NATO force, and for that they are a good choice - when you get attacked, just fly them over here and then we can make use of them and your pilots against your enemy!

Of course yours won't be much use on our aircraft carriers, they would need the full runway, and maybe a bit more!

The Vermontilator!

vermontilator.jpg

https://www.uvm.edu/uvmnews/news/vermont-team-invents-emergency-ventilator

Over the last three weeks, a team of scientists, engineers and doctors at the University of Vermont have developed a new design—and built a working model—for a simple, inexpensive ventilator.

“We think these could be rolled out very quickly and be effective on an emergency basis,” says University of Vermont lung expert Jason Bates who is leading the new effort in response to the burgeoning global coronavirus epidemic—and the huge shortage of ventilators that may be needed to treat people.

"Unlike other improvised emergency ventilator designs, now being worked on around the world, the UVM team’s approach uses an alternative mode of helping critically ill patients breathe. It’s called “airway pressure release ventilation” or APRV.

This APRV approach is the opposite of a normal breathing pattern—and may allow patients with COVID-19 to avoid, or reduce, the lung damage associated with the disease and with extended periods on a ventilator."

Affectionately called the “Vermontilator," preliminary calculations suggest the UVM Ventilator “can be produced quickly and in large numbers for a few hundred dollars per unit in parts and materials.”

Last edited:
Another if the AIDA cruise ships docked in Denmark, this one in the port of Skagen on the top of Jutland.
hadn't seen one of their ships before, interesting side note I once got a cease and desist letter from their lawyers over a copyright claim

Just recently people were being told that animals such as domestic dogs and cats could not contract cornonavirus. This is a potentially ominous development.

Tiger at Bronx Zoo in New York City tests positive for coronavirus

A tiger at New York City's Bronx Zoo has tested positive for COVID-19, the Wildlife Conservation Society said in a statement.

The tiger, a 4-year-old female Malayan tiger named Nadia, developed a dry cough and a decrease in appetite. She was tested out of an abundance of caution, and the results were confirmed by the USDA's National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Iowa, the society said.

Her sister Azul, two Amur tigers and three African lions also showed coronavirus symptoms, but all of the cats, including Nadia, are expected to recover.

It is unknown how the disease develops in big cats. There is also no evidence that animals can infect people with the virus.

The Bronx Zoo has been temporarily closed since March 16.

Last edited:
hadn't seen one of their ships before, interesting side note I once got a cease and desist letter from their lawyers over a copyright claim
How did that end? Did you cease and desist or did you fight and win?

It is unknown how the disease develops in big cats. There is also no evidence that animals can infect people with the virus.
YET

No one can say it will not be proven in time. We are told the virus came from bats and went to humans. Animal to human transmission ability has been spoken about for quite some time unless I misunderstood the news stories..

YET

No one can say it will not be proven in time. We are told the virus came from bats and went to humans. Animal to human transmission ability has been spoken about for quite some time unless I misunderstood the news stories..

The transmission from bats to humans had to do with butchering them and consuming them for food. Infectious transmission between animals and humans via contact with droplets in the air or touching/petting an infected animal is another matter entirely.

While this "may" be proven "in time", if domestic animals or livestock can indeed be infected communally it will have to be investigated and addressed sooner than later.

The transmission from bats to humans had to do with butchering them and consuming them for food. Infectious transmission between animals and humans via contact with droplets in the air or touching/petting an infected animal is another matter entirely.

While this "may" be proven "in time", if domestic animals or livestock can indeed be infected communally it will have to be investigated and addressed sooner than later.
We do not know if a bat sneezed on a human while being butchered and transmitted the virus that way or through blood after being killed. Either way is possible.

Lots of paths we have to investigate, Danish genetic and virology scientists are already in China to try and determine the exact place of origin.

Diva. the one in Frederica are named Mar.
2_2020458165.jpg

Looks like cruise liners know a friendly port when they see it, the circumstances are probably the same as with the other ship, so just crew and they will remain on board the ship.
But as the good hosts we are we will throw them a router and a fiber optic cable so they can do 8K face time with their family at home if the like to.
I was wondering why they didn't go home to Rostock, not far to go!
But if all 14 of them arrived in the 1 port then I guess there would be a problem!
They are registered in Italy, but it is a German company, owned by a UK/USA company.

There are still 2 on the move:

BridgeCam for AIDAdiva:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back