COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do not know if a bat sneezed on a human while being butchered and transmitted the virus that way or through blood after being killed. Either way is possible.
Might have been a cat, eating cats has since been banned in much (all?) of China.
Might even have been from eating tigers, they are still used in chinese medicine.

We do not know if a bat sneezed on a human while being butchered and transmitted the virus that way or through blood after being killed. Either way is possible.

This problem has to do with what are known as "wet markets" where in a 2007 study, Chinese scientists first identified the presence of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats combined with unsanitary wildlife markets and the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China led directly to the outbreak. The issue primarily had to do with people being exposed to blood and body fluids of exotic animals during the butchering and processing phase as well as consuming these animals. Another vector is flies and other insects that have direct contact with raw butchered animals on display at these markets.

Ebola, for example came from monkeys, infected by bats and then butchered and eaten in the African bush by people in very poor villages.

I think speculation about "sneezing bats' is stretching things a bit much as there is no evidence of that.

Calls for global ban on wild animal markets amid coronavirus outbreak

Last edited:
We can take the last 2 too, just cant clog up Aarhus harbor as that's our main ship good harbor, but without taking up dock for container chips i think they can find room for a cruise liner or 2.
Hard to tell i have not been down there in a long time, and the harbor front are prime development areas as the actual working harbor are pushed further out into the bay.
What was the container harbor and loos goods when i was a kid are not real estate and trendy expensive apartments.

But we also have other little places for a big ship, even if it run a bit deep.

They will probably have to do something about those markets, even if rich / influential Chinese like to eat exotic things,,,,, if they want they can just jump on a plane to France :)
Aids also came from monkeys as far as i remember, but how it got into humans are a chilling thought, i know in Asia some people will have sex with a orangutan just fine,,,,, which is also a horrifying concept.
Wasent there a Russian Zarina that liked a horse so much that,,,,,, :eek:
I even think we progressive liberal Danes finally banned animal sex some years ago, after for decades being going by " well as long as the animal don't suffer" :oops:

Humans ! Able of such wonderful things, and so dark and horrible things.

I think there's a lot of emphasis placed in the consumption of exotic animals, I think it's less about being exotic and more about what's cheap in a lot of cases, a lot of people can't afford farmed meats and supermarket prices, a lot of what's in wet markets cater to that demographic

"The governor of New Jersey made a seemingly odd call for help last night: The state desperately needs COBOL programmers to revamp the software powering the 50-year old mainframes behind the state's unemployment system. That may seem surprising on the surface because COBOL debuted back in 1960 and mainframes ceded the leadership position to general-purpose x86 servers decades ago. However, these (sometimes) archaic systems still power much of the infrastructure behind governmental agencies, banks, and airlines. "

Incredible.
But it is often the same here im afraid, and i sort of feel insulted as a tax payer that it is this way.

I think there's a lot of emphasis placed in the consumption of exotic animals, I think it's less about being exotic and more about what's cheap in a lot of cases, a lot of people can't afford farmed meats and supermarket prices, a lot of what's in wet markets cater to that demographic

The article I linked to above has a different perspective, at least in China. "But in China, wild animal meat is not cheap. “These have now become luxury items. It’s a perfect storm."

The article I linked to above has a different perspective, at least in China. "But in China, wild animal meat is not cheap. “These have now become luxury items. It’s a perfect storm."
there would certainly be items within those markets that fall into that category, I've seen wild animals in cages outside restaurants and in a lot of cases some of the suspect end of the food chain is not expensive, whether the product is expensive or cheap the hygiene issues are real, a lot of these places are pretty disgusting by any standard

there would certainly be items within those markets that fall into that category, I've seen wild animals in cages outside restaurants and in a lot of cases some of the suspect end of the food chain is not expensive, whether the product is expensive or cheap the hygiene issues are real, a lot of these places are pretty disgusting by any standard

I remember growing up in NYC and seeing wild animals in cages and aquariums in Chinatown such as turtles, fish, reptiles, chickens, ducks, geese, etc. There were also a lot of dried animal parts in the markets such as cuttlefish and some others I couldn't recognize. I have to assume much of that no longer exists except for live fish and lobster tanks.

Oh, speaking of cuttlefish, I forgot to mention this but way back in the 1980s when I lived in a rented 5 bedroom house with a group of 7 friends I bought a hard flat dried cuttlefish in Chinatown NYC and mailed it to my housemates in Vermont. I wrote the address directly on the dried fish using a Sharpie and used a fake return address (from a humorous fake name that was an inside joke with my friends), and then I put LOTS of postage stamps on it and dropped it in a mailbox. It got there! During its journey it broke in half somewhere along the way and some postal employee carefully taped it back together with cellophane tape. It was the talk of the town I lived in at the time (pop. 2500) and all the local postal employees for weeks! :joyful:

Last edited:
"President George W. Bush in 2005:

"There is no pandemic flu in our country or in the world at this time. But if we wait for a pandemic to appear, it will be too late to prepare. And one day many lives could be needlessly lost because we failed to act today."

Last edited:
Almost every country was equally prepared for a pandemic. Poorly or very poorly.

That's absolutely not true. Taiwan was exceptionally prepared for this pandemic and the results are apparent. Singapore and Hong Kong were also well prepared. They learned their lessons from the 2003 SARS epidemic and prepared for the next viral outbreak accordingly.

What Taiwan can teach the world on fighting the coronavirus
Analysis: Taiwan put lessons it learned during the 2003 SARS outbreak to good use, and this time its government and people were prepared.

Why Taiwan's COVID-19 death rate is shockingly low

COVID-19: Lessons from Singapore and how it handled SARS

What We Can Learn From Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong About Handling Coronavirus

Various countries have received high marks for their pandemic responses such as France, Thailand, Norway and especially Cuba.

France received the highest score for its infrastructure, and very high scores for its stable politics and overall socioeconomic situation, all of which are useful in many different types of crises, including epidemics.

Norway's overall risk environment was rated highly, as was it's infrastructure.

Cuba’s Coronavirus Response Is Putting Other Countries to Shame

Last edited:

"SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess"
saw that reported a few weeks ago, a worry when it can stay active that long

saw that reported a few weeks ago, a worry when it can stay active that long

Well, FWIW the report also said, "Although these data cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces, further study of fomite transmission of SARS-CoV-2 aboard cruise ships is warranted."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back