CPL Status

I think he means the glass might be in the black piece backwards.

can happen, when we got the first batch I had to go through and realign a bunch of them, I found one piece out of the six hundred that I adjusted that had the glass in backwards

Keep the camera in your hand.
Mount the filter on the camera.
Put a white paper on the dashboard
Connect the camera to the charger.
Point the camera to the front of the car and be sure you can see the reflection of the white paper on the cameras display
Rotate the camera slowly to the left or right until you will see the reflection of the white paper disappearing, even just a little and not all.
The position where you see the less reflection of the white paper on camera display that is the orientation of your CPL lens.
Rotate the CPL lens until you will see the less reflection of the white paper and camera to be perfect horizontally.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have read all the threads that I can find about adjusting the Viofo cpl Filter and i'm quite sure I have it adjusted properly. I used the Polarized sunglasses method posted by OCD Tronic and i even went out to the car with white papers on the dashboard. The way i have it adjusted now i see none of the white paper while looking straight ahead,so i assume it is adjusted right...or maybe i did it wrong?? My biggest problem is my daytime video's are very dark and i live in South Florida. The video's almost look like night time. Is there any other suggestions at all i can try..?? Would going back to previous firmware help? A119S version 2,latest firmware.

the CPL won't have that large an effect to make the videos look that dark, did you reset default settings after loading the latest firmware?

the CPL won't have that large an effect to make the videos look that dark, did you reset default settings after loading the latest firmware?
Yes i double checked that. When i get more time,i'll mess with it some more. Maybe go back to the other firmware for a test.

I have read all the threads that I can find about adjusting the Viofo cpl Filter and i'm quite sure I have it adjusted properly. I used the Polarized sunglasses method posted by OCD Tronic and i even went out to the car with white papers on the dashboard. The way i have it adjusted now i see none of the white paper while looking straight ahead,so i assume it is adjusted right...or maybe i did it wrong?? My biggest problem is my daytime video's are very dark and i live in South Florida. The video's almost look like night time. Is there any other suggestions at all i can try..?? Would going back to previous firmware help? A119S version 2,latest firmware.

Have you adjusted the EV values? I bumped mine up to either +1/3 or +2/3

Question for OCD Tronic. I purchased a CPL in early May so I am sure it's the latest. The filter does go dark at roughly 45 degrees, and bright at 0 (with slit at the top, and looking "out" through the filter). But I find that I get absolute brightest when the CPL is slightly off axis, maybe 10 degrees.

Is that normal, or should I rotate the lens? I did the test by rotating the CPL frame, not the lens which is secured well.

I understand that the purpose is to cut reflection, but do you achieve that at maximum brightness, or is that totally unrelated? Or, do you achieve maximum brightness when you get no polarizing at all -- equivalent to turning the CPL "off"?

Question for OCD Tronic. I purchased a CPL in early May so I am sure it's the latest. The filter does go dark at roughly 45 degrees, and bright at 0 (with slit at the top, and looking "out" through the filter). But I find that I get absolute brightest when the CPL is slightly off axis, maybe 10 degrees.

Is that normal, or should I rotate the lens? I did the test by rotating the CPL frame, not the lens which is secured well.

What's are you using to test? Many computer monitors are polarized at 45 degrees so that would match your test.

Here is how my 55" Samsung TV (Non-3D) behaves which is much easier than 45 degrees of course.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/cpl-status.20524/page-23#post-305351

1DLnzTN.png

Last edited:
Thank you both. I was testing using a LCD computer monitor. I read up on polarizing light some more, and now understand Jokiin's point that brightness and reflection reduction are not the same thing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G A119 4
Back