CPL Status

What's the best way to secure the CPL filter since I have the 1st gen A119?

There's a CPL filter on Amazon by Blueskysea which is just a flat square adhesive. It will still allow you to adjust the horizontal angle but that doesn't really matter for me. I'm just wondering how reusable it can be.

*I decided to get it and try it out. Will report back on it!

Blueskysea CPL Link for those who are interested.

Last edited:
There's a CPL filter on Amazon by Blueskysea which is just a flat square adhesive. It will still allow you to adjust the horizontal angle but that doesn't really matter for me. I'm just wondering how reusable it can be.

*I decided to get it and try it out. Will report back on it!

Blueskysea CPL Link for those who are interested.
I look forward to your feedback.

On 12/20 I emailed VIOFO this:
Customer message: I purchased your VIOFO A119 Dash Cam about 3 months ago. Last week I received the Circular Polarizing Lens Filter. I don't notice any difference when using the filter. There's two ways to mount the filter. Does it make any difference how it's attached? Do you have any before and after pictures that shows what the filter does to improve image quality? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Their response was of no help:
VIOFO <support@viofo.freshdesk.com>
12/22/16 (10 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Hi John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EDR4XGgnqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfa9kLH-VUY

Please check the videos for some more details,thanks.

Ticket: https://support.viofo.com/helpdesk

Usually a polarize lens rotates to find the best angle to cut down on reflection and glare. I don't see any way to rotate this lens, and find it doesn't reduce my windshield reflection or glare at all. It came with no instructions for use or installation.

I hope someone has success with it and explains how.

Keep the camera in your hand.
Mount the filter on the camera.
Put a white paper on the dashboard
Connect the camera to the charger.
Point the camera to the front of the car and be sure you can see the reflection of the white paper on the cameras display
Rotate the camera slowly to the left or right until you will see the reflection of the white paper disappearing, even just a little and not all.
The position where you see the less reflection of the white paper on camera display that is the orientation of your CPL lens.
Rotate the CPL lens until you will see the less reflection of the white paper and camera to be perfect horizontally.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
I look forward to your feedback.

On 12/20 I emailed VIOFO this:
Customer message: I purchased your VIOFO A119 Dash Cam about 3 months ago. Last week I received the Circular Polarizing Lens Filter. I don't notice any difference when using the filter. There's two ways to mount the filter. Does it make any difference how it's attached? Do you have any before and after pictures that shows what the filter does to improve image quality? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Their response was of no help:
VIOFO <support@viofo.freshdesk.com>
12/22/16 (10 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Hi John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EDR4XGgnqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfa9kLH-VUY

Please check the videos for some more details,thanks.

Ticket: https://support.viofo.com/helpdesk

Usually a polarize lens rotates to find the best angle to cut down on reflection and glare. I don't see any way to rotate this lens, and find it doesn't reduce my windshield reflection or glare at all. It came with no instructions for use or installation.

I hope someone has success with it and explains how.
Which way the CPL clips on to the lens does not make a difference as far as reflections, however it should be mounted with the large slit at the top to prevent the possibility of the glass shifting down.
As far as reflection reduction, the first batch that went out to some sellers were not adjusted properly. It's possible you received one of these. It is possible to rotate the CPL to adjust it appropriately. There is a Viofo CPL thread here, it will tell you how to adjust it properly.

I finally got the CPL I ordered from FoxOffer site. Looks identical to the one I got from ebay Estore a few weeks ago. That ebay Estore Viofo CPL was installed and is working fine ever since I got it.

Keep the camera in your hand.
Mount the filter on the camera.
Put a white paper on the dashboard
Connect the camera to the charger.
Point the camera to the front of the car and be sure you can see the reflection of the white paper on the cameras display
Rotate the camera slowly to the left or right until you will see the reflection of the white paper disappearing, even just a little and not all.
The position where you see the less reflection of the white paper on camera display that is the orientation of your CPL lens.
Rotate the CPL lens until you will see the less reflection of the white paper and camera to be perfect horizontally.

enjoy,
Mtz
Thanks for this info. I'll give it a try.
John

... it should be mounted with the large slit at the top to prevent the possibility of the glass shifting down.
Thanks for that info. I hadn't noticed.
There is a Viofo CPL thread here, it will tell you how to adjust it properly.
Isn't this that thread? If not, can you provide a link?

I got one from Amazon (will not mention seller source, for now) but I got "VIOFO version" and it looks like replica. Turning wheelitself has no red marking and turning wheel it does not make any difference at all (reflection and glare is same as without). Totally useless.

I got one from Amazon (will not mention seller source, for now) but I got "VIOFO version" and it looks like replica. Turning wheelitself has no red marking and turning wheel it does not make any difference at all (reflection and glare is same as without). Totally useless.

That could mean the CPL glass is in backwards. Try the tv test but look through it backwards.

I don't think it's possible to install backward "clip on" CPL. Tv test ?

a9c703627e.jpg

That could mean the CPL glass is in backwards. Try the tv test but look through it backwards.
@OCD Tronic Off topic. Just curious, Last week I saw your listing of the A119s on Amazon Canada only for one day....then gone the next day never to see it listed there again. Did you know that?

@OCD Tronic Off topic. Just curious, Last week I saw your listing of the A119s on Amazon Canada only for one day....then gone the next day never to see it listed there again. Did you know that?

Yes that was the day I got approved for the Amazon.CA unified seller account and my new Amazon Canada rep duplicated/copied my Amazon.com listings to Amazon.ca
(both Fulfilled by Amazon and Fulfilled by Merchant SKUs)

My rep didn't tell me the .ca fulfilled by merchant listings would go live with the copied .com fulfilled by merchant quantities right away. Only after I was private messaged about the wild Canada prices did I realize this was the case.

All my current VIOFO stock is in the Amazon.com FBA warehouse, and they won't fulfill international orders. This means I can't make the Amazon.CA fulfilled by merchant listings live yet. There is such a limit in stock availability I haven't been able to allocate any factory stock to be shipped to Canada FBA yet for Prime/FBA sale.

As soon as I'm caught up on record sales/payments OCD Tronic will able to fully expand VIOFO sales into Canada.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G A119 4
Back