Crash on Dashcam

Dandybound

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My DOD camera is still somehow hanging in there,and give's get capture from this Crash.

Approx 100000 file's used approx. with this camera,the camera has only had a few issue's worth buying a newer model.

In this crash the camera was nearly only thing in cab not to move in crash,i hit steering wheel and window.

I'm a Australian Truck Driver Based out of a Dandenong Depot.

Camera was purchased from Dashcams Australia a Sponsor here,the newer camera like this is DOD LS430W.

Link below,

What was he even doing - that's stupidity right there.

Glad you're ok though!

Ouch, nice move avoiding some of the impact with the swerve over. (still sucked)

When anticipating the crash...... I thought it was the first thing (black truck), then I thought maybe it was the second thing (silver/white sedan), ended up being the third and final remaining watch out moment one at the end.

Its not the first time something like this has happened to me it's just that I didn't have enough time to avoid the collision due to focus being on the Ute driver.

The Black ute did take some focus of the road ahead,due to tailgating the other truck than myself shortly before the crash.

The space from braking to impact was around 22 metre's,i think I did ok in trying to avoid impact.

Some other driver's, I have spoken to have said that I did too much avoidance maybe I need a day at a school??

Other say they would have steered straight,i tend to disagree as most trucks tend to jump/skip whilst straight and you loose steering in that sitation,and the truck to right side may have than crashed into me.

On reflection the crash was the best of 3 that I think would have happened from a better braking maybe rolled truck and not hit the car,or straight into the B Pillar or door which may have been a serious injury or death.

people always try to armchair quarterback crash videos. just look at most threads on here, and if you're feeling really masochistic, look at comments on youtube. it's why i disabled comments on my crash vid before i made it active on youtube, because i knew the potty mouth children would be on it before i could blink.

i agree you took the best course of action in such a short time, especially considering you were driving such a large vehicle. i'm amazed you were able to swerve as much as you did and stop in such a short distance, though from what i saw it looks like only the cab rotated and the trailer probably didn't make the turn and started to jack-knife. Driver of the civic is lucky you hit the front corner and not the door - that would have been ugly. He/she is also lucky you didn't throw them back into the right lane to be hit by the truck you'd just passed. and you're lucky you didn't hit the ditch while swerving/braking like that - could have caused you to roll.

@reverend - i think the civic driver is from russia. i think the law there says you must always make a left turn from the far right lane (and right turns from the far left). and you also have to make U-turns in the middle of a highway without looking. and traffic lights are only decorations.

i agree you took the best course of action in such a short time

Yep, I agree. Your choices were to go straight or left. Your choice probably saved the Civic driver's life, and saved you a bit of impact as well. I don't know how your trailer (or its load) fared, but for the Civic's driver, your choice was optimal.

For anybody who suggests you should have noticed the stopped car earlier, the speed limit was 80. Cars aren't supposed to stop on a highway.

Here's what the Civic was thinking: "Oops, I want to go left, but I don't know if it's safe or not because I'm not comfortable checking my mirrors or looking over my shoulder. If I turn REALLY SLOWLY, the traffic will surely see me and then it'll be safe!"

T-boning that Civic would have been terrible for that small car. Good job driver! Me, I would have probably stayed the course and stayed straight.

Would you have noticed it more if it had a bright color?
A good reason to get a car that isn't black dark grey etc;)
I remember hearing about a survey that established white cars were much less likely to be involved in accidents than grey cars.
As I drive a big truck nearly 3000km a week in all sorts of places I would say that noticing this car and avoiding it is possible 95% of the time considering its color and that you had traffic around you etc. Just bad luck that this was that 5% of the time, just when your concentration is shifted somewhere for a few moments things like this could come out of nowhere, could have so easily happened to me and any other professional driver. Accidents can happen just like that unfortunately.

Dashy your right without the focus on the tailgating ute I would have picked up the car for sure, i'm still kicking myself.

Colour of a car? Sometime's I think data is because some colours tend to be better sellers,and some colours tend to get a type of driver to suit colour.( I drive a light silver car but tend to drive with parkers on in most driving trips,also a company policy to drive with park lights..proven to be seen more often)Yesterday the weather turn quite dark it still cause's me to shake head people unable to judge conditions to turn atleast park lights on.

The back did stay close to straight at final crash point but the turn to left with full air assistants did cut speed and a possible deceased passenger,the driver... I think would still be ok from a full side
crash at that speed but maybe some minor injuries.

The load didn't move too much,just slight bowing of restrants,which the load was quite mixed.
I always try to give extra strapping than most drivers,some loads carried out of our yard, are maybe at half restrant strength than my loads which is a drivers decision,but in such a crash the extra strength is the difference of loads coming off.

I did take photo's of scene as well before moving truck later to render the scene safe.
I can't post them due to are companies media policy the Civic had 90% passenger side damage,towie said possible ride off.

The truck cab is second week of January earliest back(wether being repaired or a new cab unsure ask later today)I hope not repaired because I would be worried if to hit again in same area a weakness maybe present.

I wont comment of the driver of other car as he made admission to Police on scene as being of fault,and was delt with on the spot.
Country of origin doesn't really matter but they should have to do a Australian on road test with a driving school to transfer to a Australian State licence of there current living place.(maybe at discount?but to prove a skill level)

I still think you should have a Australian Licence for driving on our roads.Each country has its own special driving conditions and rule's.

The driver of the car origin country has some excellent drivers as well,a place nearby has a excellent driver from that same country.He also said his city in that country has had some large Australian Transport Companies are looking at temp working visa's due to a lot of driver gaps in the truck driving positons in our country.

I have driven on New Zealand roads but before travelling to the Country I did read the complete road rules of the country before driving on the roads there,wether other people do the same before driving on our roads??.

my claim that the civic driver must be from russia isn't intended to be racist or "country-ist" or anything... it refers entirely to all the russian dashcam crash videos on youtube (which i'll admit, i'm addicted to). it seems people there have no sense and will do exactly what your civic driver did - pull a slow U-turn in the middle of a highway without looking. they'll also run red lights WAY after they turn red, start going before their own light turns green, and also drive WAY too fast for conditions (this seems worse in the winter). these crazy drivers and often their lack of insurance (along with police corruption) are why dashcams are so prevalent there, and thus why we get to see so many of their crashes.

Yes I was aiming to buy a white car but ended up with a bright silver one, myself I drive with headlights on in daytime in the car, however I tend not to do that while driving the truck, unless it is raining etc, we got caught with flat battery twice, but it is worth it having the lights on all the time in the car, just don't want to be unnoticed and hit by someone, it is not like it costs money or something. I have seen enough signs on the roads that tell you to keep your headlights on in day time that it is nearly imprinted in my head:)

In Canada, all new vehicles sold in the country since 1992 (including used imported vehicles) are equipped with daytime running lights. It results in a huge reduction in head-on and t-bone collisions. Even on a sunny day, you can see the two headlights on an approaching car, easily distinguishing itself from its surroundings. It's a fantastic safety feature.

T-boning that Civic would have been terrible for that small car. Good job driver! Me, I would have probably stayed the course and stayed straight.

I was "T-Boned" in my 2009 Civic on the drivers side by a Ford Econoline 250 that was doing about 50mph when it struck me. He was loaded down with constuction equipment, (and was a Russian driver with a suspended license!) He ran a red light on a four lane highway. People say, "God saved you", (I was out of work for around 8 months with back and head injuries), but I can only say that it was Honda that saved me. The seat and side air bags and extra steel enforcements on the doors did their job. If it were my other car, a 2003 Ford Focus, I would not have been "saved".

If it were my other car, a 2003 Ford Focus, I would not have been "saved".

Yeah, I owned a Honda Accord. I always looked at the crash photos on the Honda forums for Accords. They always did well. I won't go cheap on a car and always look at the safety ratings.

Yeah, I owned a Honda Accord. I always looked at the crash photos on the Honda forums for Accords. They always did well. I won't go cheap on a car and always look at the safety ratings.[/QUOTE

I now drive a 2007 Honda Accord. I bought it after the accident(10/2009), for $15,000 with 15,ooo miles on it. 5 years later I just turned 236,000 miles on it. It has the same saftey fetures as the 2009 Civic and all I have done is change the oil, brakes, and the vtech celinoid. Checked into the timing belt, and come to find out Honda put "lifetime chains" on the 06' and 07' Accords. I think I'll drive this until it literally dies.

That 2007 Accord 4 cyl is probably one of the most reliable cars on the road. I owned one of that generation. Don't forget to keep up on transmission fluid changes.

Still haven't worked on truck still in bits possible that with no insurance for car driver or owner.

My youtube accounts back up as well.(will get all videos back up you need to resign up for my video's)

That stinks... I had to use the un/under-insured motorist coverage on our policy when my wife was rear-ended hard enough to total our car. Had to use it because the other company (state farm, not some little fly by night operation!) wouldn't pay up, claiming they were waiting for a "statement" from their driver, who was a minor. I called BS -you don't need a statement when the police report and photos all say your driver was 9000% at fault. I let my insurance company pay for our car so i could buy another and then my insurance company sued state farm to get the money back.

It wouldn't be cheap to replace the cab etc so maybe with a 7 month lease left the lease company in concert with the insurance company may just can the rebuild?

I kind hope a new truck would make my life shine again?(a lot of low points lately but getting there)

I having my yearly drivers training coming up i'm sure this clip will have me front and centre of attention!

Back