Custom firmware BlackVue DR550GW-2CH

I sent DashCamDave a manual to the correct translation

Works a treat. So happy. Can't wait to test it on the way to work in the morning. Thank you.

Rebel, Stay tuned.
Now you have full access to the private section, where developers are updates.
Good luck.

Just read this thread just to confirm if I make a donation I will get a link to download custom firmware for dr550gw.

I take it supposed to be better than the original latest software but in what way is it better. What have they improved on.
Thanks

As I understand it, and I'm sure alexsoll will correct me, if I'm wrong - it's a newly compiled linux kernel (so they built their own OS for the cam); with adjustable bitrate - front and rear; web interface (most of the settings, including reboot; permanent WiFi; exFAT support (i.e. large SD cards); ability to copy files from the cam over wifi to your laptop/tablet/computer; native SSH support; customisable right-hand corner stamp, in place of DR550GW-2CH/FHD - up to 19 symbols; GPS reset via web interface; clock synchronisation with GPS and according to user's time zone - all adjustable via same web interface … Probably missed something, but that's the gist of it.

Does that mean the blackVue android app would not work anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the app runs on your android device, it won't be affected, neither will be Windows & Mac viewers, nor iOS app - the firmware only upgrades the cam OS.
In fact, you'll be able to access most of the settings on your 550 via the web browser on your android device.

Just registered with the forum.

If I update to custom firmware will I be able to remove it back to standard firmware if i had to

Made a donation just got to wait now
But why wait? The sea weather?

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/custom-firmware-blackvue-dr550gw-2ch.4749/page-3#post-58055

43374db7b642.png

Last edited by a moderator:
same here.
did all the procedure above yesterday...
how long does it take usually to get access?
You have to go back onto the car dvr forum and send alexsole a message and proof of donation. I just sent transaction number. Did it on dash cam forum first when had no reply did it on dvr forum.

Not used to this I get my lad to do all this sort of thing but he is sorting out our house ip cams on a pc he has just rebuilt.
I have the custom file now but don't know what to do with it as blackvue updates come with a installer,If it gets any deeper I could drown:confused:o_O

Done it and its working,well my lad did. First you need to have a son, wait for him to grow up and let him sort it all out

Also supports wireless n just tick the box and it's much faster viewing and down loading files with longer range. So far it's great going. well done. sleep now 3.30 in the morning

Weak point is those sockets and i suppose there is nothing they can do till they bring out a new model.. just needs a socket tht plugs in first then you plug on unplug into that.

Okay, Got Access and installed the FW.

This was ABSOLUTELY EASY to install.

For those people who are in doubt, I can just say do the upgrade!

I hat the latest original pittasoft FW v2.0000 (English) installed, and did it as instructed:

Put the custom550_1.0c.tar.gz file which downloaded into the root of the card and the upgrade.cgi file into the folder blackvue/config.

Then power on, connect to wifi and call the script in internet explorer with this URL:

http://192.168.8.1/Config/upgrade.cgi

It does not take long and you get a "done/please reboot"

After rebooting, all new modes for the setting are in the Webinterface AND in the Blackvue iPhone APP

Great work and worth a donation, even if you get it for free in the future...!

Thanks to the developers for this.

@alexsoll
maybe it makes sense, to also put a mode for 30 frames front cam and 15 (or even 7) for the back camera.
or maybe 30/15/7 individually selectable for each camera?

vortex, Thanks for the feedback. Good luck on the road!
in the nearest time the update will be released custom firmware

I cant even register on that site. Been waiting for registration email since yesterday.

Can I just hit donate without registering, and just send email to alexsoll ?

thanks

ptrout, see mail, I activated your registration

Thank you, donated and ID sent.

Appreciate the work you guys do

Back