Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

Re: Custom Firmware for DR500GW-HD | NEW* V 1.1.1(E) Coming

My 64GB SD card has arrived and has been formatted to FAT32 and seems to work perfectly in my DR500, although it did clear all my sensitivity settings and I had to reset the city time and change back to mph instead of kph. That should give me about 12 hours recording time at 12 mb/s, more than enough for my needs.

Again many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum, it is the advice on here that made upgrading my dashcam so easy.

One question though, how easy is it to customise the stamp in the bottom right corner and how would I go about it? Mio sent me the files to remove it completely, but I don't mind it being there. It would be nice to customise it with my car registration number like someone else here did.

have to hex edit a file. easily fuked up.

Thanks, if that is the case I don't think I will bother!

I was reading the russian forum, where Mio is discussing with .RU people, and saw, that more people were reporting that their 64GB cards did get broken in DR500GW (after 1 month of using it, ...)

@Mio, what is the truth with 64GB cards used by russian community? Do they get broken after some time ?

problems in those who do not properly format the flash card.
And some SanDisk defective come across

Interesting about the 64GB cards not lasting long. Mine is a Sandisk Ultra. I will let you all know if I have any problems with it in the near future.

mike1088 said:
Interesting about the 64GB cards not lasting long. Mine is a Sandisk Ultra. I will let you all know if I have any problems with it in the near future.

Be careful where you buy it Sandisk is the brand that has been copied more than any other Especially on EBAY where 90% would be fakes. Other Online sellers are similar

I started using my 64gb card about a week ago. No problems so far. I bought it from Amazon

I had been using 64GB sandisk for a few month. No problem so far. I brought from shop. Should be original.

would getting a SanDisk ultra 64gb SDXC I, micro SD card from Amazon.co.uk be a safe bet compared with say ebay?

Mollydog, I bought mine from Amazon. That particular item had a number of very positive reviews. Time will tell whether it lasts.

mike1088 said:
Mollydog, I bought mine from Amazon. That particular item had a number of very positive reviews. Time will tell whether it lasts.

Thank you, I'll get one from Amazon, they are just a few pennies under £40 :)

That will be the same one I got. Fingers crossed they last.

waiting for the 128GB MicroSDs to come out. think of the record time :o Or 256GB :!: :shock:
probably worth more than the camera itself

Remember that Amazon also allows resellers to list their products, so you're not guaranteed a faultless non-counterfeit item. Just be mindful of who the actual seller is and what your options are if there is a problem.

If anyone is interested:

The boot time for the Dashcam with custom firmware is about 45 seconds. That means after the Camera receives power it takes it 45 seconds to capture and record the first frame of the video.

The cutout time is ~1-2 seconds. Meaning The Video file is only recorded to 1 second after the camera looses power.

I wish the boot time was faster. Does anyone know the boot time for Stock Firmware?

jsan said:
I wish the boot time was faster. Does anyone know the boot time for Stock Firmware?

around 30 seconds or so from memory, not sure why Korean (or TI based maybe) cameras are like this, quite a few of the Korean cams don't have batteries in the them and use a large capacitor instead (there's advantages and disadvantages to battery or capacitor) so have very limited amount of power available for file save during the power off process

is that why occasionally I have a corrupted file in there?

jokiin said:
jsan said:

around 30 seconds or so from memory, not sure why Korean (or TI based maybe) cameras are like this, quite a few of the Korean cams don't have batteries in the them and use a large capacitor instead (there's advantages and disadvantages to battery or capacitor) so have very limited amount of power available for file save during the power off process

30 secs for stock firmware? I see.

And I knew it used a superCap but I don't really have a problem with its stopping time. If I wanted to increase cut out time, I could increase the amount of time my acc. power remains on after the is key out of the vehicle.

I guess Mio can shed some light on if there is a possibility of improving the boot-up time.

It's not a big deal for me because to compensate for the delay in recording I normally remote start my car a minute before I get in it. So that my dashcam is recording before I move my vehicle.

wozzzzza said:
is that why occasionally I have a corrupted file in there?
I haven't had any corrupted files so far. And from what I've seen on my dashcam the supercapacitor has plenty of juice in it to keep going once the power is lost. But it doesn't use all of it and shuts off as soon as the file is saved.

When my dashcam was bricked and I was updating it. The camera's voice kept saying "Error 90". It kept repeating it for about a minute after I unplugged the camera.

I also have the voices on, so it tells me when it has started recording and when it says "blackvue is now shutting down" followed by a little blip in the speaker I know that the camera has shut down for sure. This is when I pull out the SD card if need. I wait about 10 second before I take it out.

Back