Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

Re: Custom Firmware for DR500GW-HD | Higher bitrate | No sta

M-Element said:
McDurbin, you did put the avserver file on SD card root, right?
i tried, if i only put the blackvue folder ( no avserver file ) on SD root, it still work, but only record 7500 bitrate
Yes, I believe I did. Here is a screenshot of the folder to confirm. It looks just like it did before I installed the custom firmware.

Attachments

• blackvue2.png
    blackvue2.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 187

McDurbin said:
M-Element said:
McDurbin, you did put the avserver file on SD card root, right?
i tried, if i only put the blackvue folder ( no avserver file ) on SD root, it still work, but only record 7500 bitrate
Yes, I believe I did. Here is a screenshot of the folder to confirm. It looks just like it did before I installed the custom firmware.

hey McDurbin, i mean not put it inside the Blackvue Folder.
When u insert the sd card, you should see

Balckvue
avserver.sh

about the wind noise, i think cant do too much about it, even professional microphone need to use some kind of windscreen to minimize the noise.

Its an Accident camera for Gods sake What do you expect from it High definition movies.

I never look at mine unless I have an incident.

I can read numberplates if I do a screen grab and thats enough.

I cant believe that people buy these things for $250 and expect a $5000 quality.

Put it in turn it on and hope you dont ever need to use the video for an accident.

Hillbilly said:
I pull mine inside weekly to see that its working ok, last thing you need is to have it sit there for 6 months only to realise its not working when you run into someone.

Ok I'm back in the game.

My camera was bricked earlier and I just unbricked it today. All thanks to Mio.

I had to get ribbon cables and UART to USB connectors and open the camera casing, solder the connections and much more. I hadn't done any of this before. It was weeks long process, since I had to order parts from ebay (china/hk).

Well now I know how to fix a bricked camera.

Hi all,

After i format my SD card. Finally i adjust the bitrate to 15k and it works ! The video quality is so so much better ! I am loving it now. Thanks to MIO !
Just one down side, 15k bitrate, the 1 min video is quite big size (110mb).

Oh guys, now installed 1.1.1. I think you will like it even more
Found even small mistakes when that eliminate the English version will be without them. Russian guys enjoy firmware

wozzzzza said:
Hillbilly said:
I pull mine inside weekly to see that its working ok, last thing you need is to have it sit there for 6 months only to realise its not working when you run into someone.

When I say that I check the card once a month and format and reinstall.

Still dont worry about viewing the video much.. If I run into someone and its my fault I wont be admitting I have it.

Only admit it when its not your fault.

Mio said:
Oh guys, now installed 1.1.1. I think you will like it even more
Found even small mistakes when that eliminate the English version will be without them. Russian guys enjoy firmware
it's interresting reading that russian forum :-) . users testing bitrate of 18M or 20M :) :)
Mio, 20M bitrate, 140MB file, that will fill my 32GB pretty soon. It's approx 3.5hours of recording .... I need to think about 64GB card for the 1.1.1 firmare

Oh mine 20k bitrate. The dvr sure easily overheat in hot country. I cant wait for 1.1 is to be out.

Re: Custom Firmware for DR500GW-HD | NEW* V 1.1.1(E) Coming

Has anyone experienced good audio quality from the recorded videos? For me the audio quality hasn't been that great. if the fan is running full blast, the cam seems to pick up a lot of that noise. Even music sounds pretty terrible in the videos.

Just wondering if that is a software related or hardware related fix.

jsan said:
Has anyone experienced good audio quality from the recorded videos? For me the audio quality hasn't been that great. if the fan is running full blast, the cam seems to pick up a lot of that noise. Even music sounds pretty terrible in the videos.

I was just posting about that earlier. It can't handle bass and if you have a window open all you hear is noise. I'm going to return mine, even after getting the video quality up, it still sucks dealing with lighting. I can't even edit the videos in sony vegas. The sound just cuts out after 1 second of playing and windows movie maker won't even recognize that the videos are there.

Hillbilly said:
Its an Accident camera for Gods sake What do you expect from it High definition movies.
I cant believe that people buy these things for $250 and expect a $5000 quality.
Put it in turn it on and hope you dont ever need to use the video for an accident.
I spent nearly $340 for mine getting the power magic pro, which didn't work, a 32gb micro sd card and the camera. There are people out there who post videos of bad drivers in their cities on youtube and I intended to join them but with the horrible audio and video quality from a $300 camera I can't really do that. Hell, my cell phone records better video and audio than this and I paid alot less for it.

considering this is just a DVR. I find that the audio is quite decent.

McDurbin said:
jsan said:

I was just posting about that earlier. It can't handle bass and if you have a window open all you hear is noise. I'm going to return mine, even after getting the video quality up, it still sucks dealing with lighting. I can't even edit the videos in sony vegas. The sound just cuts out after 1 second of playing and windows movie maker won't even recognize that the videos are there.

Hillbilly said:
I spent nearly $340 for mine getting the power magic pro, which didn't work, a 32gb micro sd card and the camera. There are people out there who post videos of bad drivers in their cities on youtube and I intended to join them but with the horrible audio and video quality from a $300 camera I can't really do that. Hell, my cell phone records better video and audio than this and I paid alot less for it.

Well I dont go around looking for things to post on Youtube and prefer to keep my business to myself. Far too many post things on line that they come to regret. ( Not necessarily on Youtube ) The video rate on YouTube is less than the cameras quality anyway isnt it so why bother doing 15000k when YouTube is a lot less.

If the camera is bought and used for its intended purpose there is little to complain about.

I had a Power magic that appeared to be faulty but later realised it was Ok and I wasnt thinking correctly and it was working but I expected something different

Dscheng said:
considering this is just a DVR. I find that the audio is quite decent.

Audio isn't a big deal for me. The main thing is the video quality, which has been improved immensely thanks to the custom firmware. I was just wonder if it was possible to improve the audio quality by software or hardware mod.

We further plan to completely remake the media server
there and try to do something with the sound. What will we do not know yet

i send Mio a donation to his paypal account,great work,keep going :)

I have not personally had an issue with the sound, but I have to admit picture quality was the higher concern to me and maybe I overlooked it with rose tinted glasses ?

I could have overlooked the audio and the fact you have to mod it to make it do what its capable of if the camera was around the $150 range. But I can't justify spending $300 on a camera that can only be used for one purpose and you basically lose its selling point of streaming to the phone once you mod it to improve video quality. I'll be getting a go pro hero 2. It can run on batteries, has better quality video, and I can hook the sd card up to my phone with a cheap usb to mini usb adapter with no buffering. Plus I can use it for other purposes than recording a possible accident.

Back