Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

Re: Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-

I set mine to 13000 bitrate. Here's a video. I refocused the lens a little...not sure if it helped. Before the right side was very blurry. Do you think this looks normal or should I re-adjust the lens?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm having a problem with the application - it's in Russian - how can I change it to be in EN??

bhuwan said:
I'm having a problem with the application - it's in Russian - how can I change it to be in EN??

You mean applications on a MicroSD? If this is so, write mail to Mio and he will send you a special patch which solves this problem.

formatting will be ENG
On fleshсarte can be replaced with any firmware version ENG

cisf0rcalvin said:

I set mine to 13000 bitrate. Here's a video. I refocused the lens a little...not sure if it helped. Before the right side was very blurry. Do you think this looks normal or should I re-adjust the lens?

I don't know, can you do one where you are behind a vehicle and see if you can read the plates?

Ur vid looks very familiar. Westminster CA?

vbx said:
I don't know, can you do one where you are behind a vehicle and see if you can read the plates?

Cerritos/Buena Park Area :)

Here's another video. In front reads well. However if they put a couple car lengths ahead its hard to read, but I think its US license plates in general that are hard to read. Surroundings seem a little grainy...maybe I'll adjust the lens a little more.

cisf0rcalvin said:
vbx said:

Here's another video. In front reads well. However if they put a couple car lengths ahead its hard to read, but I think its US license plates in general that are hard to read. Surroundings seem a little grainy...maybe I'll adjust the lens a little more.

Only looks a little better than my from stock. When did you buy it? I returned my for an exchange. Pittasoft said my cam was defective.

vbx said:
Only looks a little better than my from stock. When did you buy it? I returned my for an exchange. Pittasoft said my cam was defective.

Bought it in February this year. What was wrong with yours?

cisf0rcalvin said:
vbx said:

I doubt that adjusting the lens will affect the graininess. I'm getting graininess, but I expected it when the bitrate went up. I'm thinking it's thermal noise that is hidden by the lower bitrates. Increased bits allows for greater detail, so now the noise becomes visible. I could be wrong, but as I expected the issue, I'm inclined to think that's what's happening.

I'm getting a "check SD card" error message... I'm a Mac user. I formatted 32 GB SD card in MS-DOS Fat 32 and installed custom Blackvue directories. Don't know if it's Mac related or what the problem is. Anyone else encounter this? Suggestions? Should I name SD card "NO NAME" like Pittasoft SD card?

have you tried formatting the card in the camera, have seen a few complaints about card errors when formatted in a Mac

cisf0rcalvin said:
vbx said:

Wifi wouldn't turn off and the major one was the cam couldn't pick up the plate unless I was really close to the car in front of me. So they will be replacing it with one that should have a better focus area.

Supposedly, everything would be at no cost to me. eBay seller is suppose to refund me the shipping cost next week. Let's see how it goes.

jokiin said:
have you tried formatting the card in the camera, have seen a few complaints about card errors when formatted in a Mac

Earlier in the thread it was said not to format in the camera Best to format in a PC using Pittasoft SD FORMATTER program.

However I have frequently just used the format function in Windoze and it has always worked

vbx said:
cisf0rcalvin said:
vbx said:

Wifi wouldn't turn off and the major one was the cam couldn't pick up the plate unless I was really close to the car in front of me. So they will be replacing it with one that should have a better focus area.

Supposedly, everything would be at no cost to me. eBay seller is suppose to refund me the shipping cost next week. Let's see how it goes.
I have just been reviewing footage taken in the USA on my DR400 and found that generally if I was within 3 carlengths it could read the plates Also the magnifier in the Viewer could also.

Cant say that for the 500 unfortunately Havent been able to get it to read a plate unless I was right behind it.

They should go back to the same width lens as in the 400 IMHO

That camera has a much more realistic view of the road and distances look much truer.

Hillbilly said:
I have just been reviewing footage taken in the USA on my DR400 and found that generally if I was within 3 carlengths it could read the plates Also the magnifier in the Viewer could also.

Cant say that for the 500 unfortunately Havent been able to get it to read a plate unless I was right behind it.

That camera has a much more realistic view of the road and distances look much truer.

yeah I have to say I'm not a fan of the super wide angle lenses, I think they bring more negatives than positives, some people do like them though

Hillbilly said:
jokiin said:

Earlier in the thread it was said not to format in the camera Best to format in a PC using Pittasoft SD FORMATTER program.

However I have frequently just used the format function in Windoze and it has always worked
SD Formatter is PC program...
UPDATE
My SD is bricked! Don't know if it's coincidence, Mac formatting, or if the DR-500 crippled it, but Disk Utility in Mac can't reformat. So the unit was correct when it said check SD card because the SD card was wiped! Did it happen during firmware update, did I interfere by stopping FW update? Will retry with 16GB Pittasoft SD card while I wait for replacement of bigger crd from Amazon. :roll:

Formatting SD cards: if you are using a 64GB microSDXC card, make sure you put it in the correct card reader that support the SDXC cards. Don't try to format cards using any other reader, like the one you get with the camera.

I had the same problem. My dashcam started saying "Please check the SD card" I formatted it and inserted it back into the DVR. The DVR said "Initializing SD Card" and it wouldn't go any further.

Then I re-formatted the SD card using the card reader that I got with the MicroSDXC card. and it worked. The camera initialized the card successfully and everything was working fine again.

I always use the reader that I got with blackvue DVR to read files, but remember to format a SDXC card use only SDXC reader and proper formatting utility.

Pappy said:
Hillbilly said:
jokiin said:

UPDATE
My SD is bricked! Don't know if it's coincidence, Mac formatting, or if the DR-500 crippled it, but Disk Utility in Mac can't reformat. So the unit was correct when it said check SD card because the SD card was wiped! Did it happen during firmware update, did I interfere by stopping FW update? Will retry with 16GB Pittasoft SD card while I wait for replacement of bigger crd from Amazon. :roll:

Pappy said:
Hillbilly said:
jokiin said:

:

Thats why I said to do it in a PC as others have had trouble using Macs

Hillbilly said:

Yeah, I thought that too and said to them that I doubt a replacement camera would fix the focus. But they said my camera is probably out of focus so they are replacing / repairing it.

Which settings do you guys use?

My videos are still quite dark.
I'm using the custom firmware. Is this normal?

dark3f10c04apng.png

Back