Cyclists and the traffic laws

Jimbo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Lukas LK-7900 Ace
I have seen this many times but never had a dashcam fitted to capture it,

yo me paso los altos todos los días. yea.

I caught one the other day.

I don't care about a cyclist running a redlight. It's something completely different like when you running a redlight with a car or truck or motorcycle. The only fascinating thing in the videos is that there are almost no bicycles in california :-D

In germany you have to pay:

Running a redlight with a car:
- within one second after it switched to red: 90,- Euros plus one traffic point (you can collect 18 after that you licence will be taken)
- when the traffic light showed red more than one second: from 200,- to 360,- Euros and four traffic points plus one month ban from driving

With a bicycle:
- within one second after it switched to red: 45,- Euro
- within one second after it switched to red and you hindered someone: 100,- Euro
- within one second after it switched to red and you make a critical situaion: 120,- Euro

With a bicycle:
- when the traffic light showed red more than one second: 45,- Euro
- when the traffic light showed red more than one second and you hindered someone: 160,- Euro
- when the traffic light showed red more than one second and you make a critical situaion: 180,- Euro

I don't care about a cyclist running a redlight. It's something completely different like when you running a redlight with a car or truck or motorcycle. The only fascinating thing in the videos is that there are almost no bicycles in california :-D

Not for the poor person travelling in their car if they knock them flying possibly killing them due to them not stopping when they should, ok the one O got stopped and checked but the other one shown here just shot straight through

Unfortunately police in most casesdiscriminates car drivers vs cyclist or pedestrians. If they cross road in wrong place or via red light, police in majority cases do nothing, even if they stand 10 meters away. But if car driver do the same, - then its a huge fine !

hehe. try visit Copenhagen and see how ppl use ther bicycles there, any Danish town will do offcourse but ppl in Copenhagen are bigger A-holes.

In the UK, cyclist runs red light, driver proceeding, quite legally through a green light, knocks the cyclist off, cyclist can claim shedloads of compo off the driver's insurance.
Driver loses out as he has to claim all damages to his car off his own insurance.

In the UK, we love to mollycoddle the retards. sadly, nobody is responsible for their own stupidity anymore.

In the UK, we love to mollycoddle the retards. sadly, nobody is responsible for their own stupidity anymore.
You could replace UK with US in that statement and it would be just as true.

In the UK, cyclist runs red light, driver proceeding, quite legally through a green light, knocks the cyclist off, cyclist can claim shedloads of compo off the driver's insurance.

Thats why in China/Taiwan/Hong Kong, they make sure to finish off any cyclist or pedestrian in an accident so the other party wouldn't have a defense. A death payout is cheaper than life long medical cost.

Thats why in China/Taiwan/Hong Kong, they make sure to finish off any cyclist or pedestrian in an accident so the other party wouldn't have a defense. A death payout is cheaper than life long medical cost.

[/MEDIA]

sad but true

I despise red light jumping. I mean REALLY despise it. But today I stopped at a light controlled crossing and the single pedestrian crossed all the way over. Then a cyclist came from behind me, showed no intention of slowing or stopping, and went right through. I figured I could go through just as safely, and just as legally* as him. So I asked myself why should I obey the law? And I couldn't come up with an answer. I leave it to you to imagine what happened next.

* As in, its 100% illegal for both of us.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

You know what the crazy thing is? Half the time they aren't even in a rush. I see them crawling along at 5mph, putting no effort into pedalling at all, sometimes even freewheeling. Same thing after they've gone through the red light.

I think that's a disgraceful way to ride on a MAIN road regardless of traffic lights.

But if they are that lazy and tired and trying to take it easy, you'd think they would appreciate the opportunity to stop at a red light and take a breather.

The way their bloody minds work is a mystery to me. Their brains just don't seem capable of processing the fact that they are on a public road.

I despise red light jumping. I mean REALLY despise it. But today I stopped at a light controlled crossing and the single pedestrian crossed all the way over. Then a cyclist came from behind me, showed no intention of slowing or stopping, and went right through. I figured I could go through just as safely, and just as legally* as him. So I asked myself why should I obey the law? And I couldn't come up with an answer. I leave it to you to imagine what happened next.

* As in, its 100% illegal for both of us.

Another reason - you may get fined:
Statistics show more than 7,000 cyclists were fined for cycling on pavements while over 4,000 were caught jumping red lights and ignoring other road signs and markings.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2541739/More-11-000-cyclists-caught-running-red-lights-riding-pavements-just-one-year.html#ixzz5CdD17T1V

If I submitted my dash cam footage and they acted on it, that number of fines would be doubled instantly. Cyclists know their chances of being caught and punished are so low that there is no deterrent effect. Now give them points on their licence... they claim most of them are drivers, so that would have an effect.

If I submitted my dash cam footage and they acted on it, that number of fines would be doubled instantly. Cyclists know their chances of being caught and punished are so low that there is no deterrent effect. Now give them points on their licence... they claim most of them are drivers, so that would have an effect.

Unfortunately UK bicycles don't have number plates so your dashcam footage, like the CCTV camera footage is almost useless!
I think that should change, it would also help to ensure that cyclists are visible instead of all black if they had a reflective license plate on their bikes!

Also, under UK law, you can't get points on your motor vehicle license while cycling, although you can loose your license and be banned from obtaining one.

agree - if bikes are going to use the roads, they need to pay road taxes and have license plates. i've seen cycle vs pedestrian hit n runs before, and a license plate could have helped witnesses ID the biker. law would apply just like it does to motor vehicles. off-road stuff like ATVs or race cars don't need plates, so neither do mountain bikes or bikes used exclusively for racing. but if you want to use that mountain bike or race bike on a public road - you have to have a plate, just like if you want to use a race car on the road.

No matter what the law states, traffic laws don't apply to cyclists

this is why I don't swerve for them

Back