DAB205 no PAL/NTSC option

205User

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello.

I just got a DAB205, came with an old firmware and I updated to the last one (v2534) from the captureyouraction website. It's great they have the firmware versions for download,

I noticed with this version/camera combination:

- No PAL/NTSC selection option on menu (or I'm unable to find it)
- Video with lower than expected quality, and some "skipped" frames every few seconds on all the video players tested.

Any suggestion or advice?

Thanks!

Thank you for your comment.

I'm testing now with a new Class 10 UHS-I Card with 128 Gb capacity.
No errors reported, and the camera seems to replay fine with HDMI. I noticed the skip problem when viewing files on the software. I tested the included software for windows and different third party players on Windows and Mac. Seems like a encoder issue...

The lack of PAL/NTSC option in the menu is confusing me, as all people seem to have this option available with the latest firmware versions.

I'll check that firmware. I just installed it on all my DAB202 and 205's that I have. I didn't notice if it had the pal/ntsc option.
I wouldn't use the CarDVRPlayer. It's not very good. I should probably just take it off the site. Registrator Viewer is probably best.
Did you notice an image quality drop after you upgraded? I have the new firmware version on the 205 in my car, but didn't notice any difference in image quality.

You are correct it it does not have a PAL/NTSC option. Did you need it to be PAL?

I could be off base here.... but isn't the option for PAL/NTSC only when you use a video out? (IE analog)?

I don't think it would have any effect on the way a video gets saved on your card.

It's usually any option in the Dome firmware. I think it's usually listed under System Mode or something similar. Never noticed it wasn't available in the 202 205 firmware.

Thank you for all the replies.

PAL fps is 25p or 50p. NTSC is 30p or 60p. This is reflected in recording file, encoding and other internal file information.
I want to test with PAL option as in our location all systems are PAL and cross convertion isn't good, I think the skipped frames could be due to this.
Additionally I expect the 25p or 50p options to make smaller files than 30p and 60p.

I will test the Registrator Viewer, will look also for a Mac player.

I don't have the previous files to compare both firmware versions. The version installed when I received the dashcam was very old and had only a few options in the menu, and keep the GPS running only the first 2 minutes. So I decided to check if more recent firmware works better with the GPS and the last version from your website works fine with the GPS.

@CaptureYourAction Thank you for testing this version on your DAB205 and confirmation of the lack of PAL/NTSC option.

I might be able to get a PAL version of the firmware if you think you need it. It probably will be a little different in some other ways as well though. The versions I recall seeing the option were for the A7 chip, so may for some reason they don't give the option in A12? Not sure. I can ask.

I might be able to get a PAL version of the firmware if you think you need it. It probably will be a little different in some other ways as well though. The versions I recall seeing the option were for the A7 chip, so may for some reason they don't give the option in A12? Not sure. I can ask.

Not needed if you need to make an effort. Just if you notice a new version for the A12, it will be great.

Thanks a lot!

Not needed if you need to make an effort. Just if you notice a new version for the A12, it will be great.

Thanks a lot!
Not a problem. I just need to ask my rep. If he has one, he'll send it to me. Not a real effort at all. Once I get a new version of the firmware I'll always post it on my site.

@205User
You said you thought video quality was lower than expected. Was this in general, or are you saying this happened after you upgraded to the latest firmware?

@205User
You said you thought video quality was lower than expected. Was this in general, or are you saying this happened after you upgraded to the latest firmware?

In general, the first recordings I got with the original firmware and the last ones. Using the 1440 resolution the video seems over-sharpened.
Only I'm not sure if the players I tested aren't working fine with the Ambarella codec, and they don't use the right decoding algorithms or the original files are really written with a huge sharpening algorithm.

I was using the Fine quality mode.

I used the camera for a complete travel today, about 200 km on highway and secondary roads, and some city streets.
Camera performed very well, used only the 1440p setting with HDR on 30 fps.
Good video overall, I can just note:
  • Good detail and dynamic range with the highest resolution mode in HDR.
  • The split file setting works really well.
  • No high temperature observed in camera. After 2 and half hours of continuous use it's less warm than my iPhone.
  • Lens does a good job, barrel distortion is managed beautifully even with this huge FOV. Better than expected.
  • Image is oversharpened, really noticed on signal posts and streetlights, or in buildings borders.
I checked the video files on my iPad and video flow is smooth, no skipped frames as on the computer. I think the two players I'm using on the iPad decodes the Ambarella files better than my computer.

I've found that I prefer the picture during the day with HDR OFF. The colors are more vibrant.
I'd appreciate having the ability to adjust sharpness, as I agree. It's a bit over the top.

The first complete test was using Superfine.
Will check with "fine" setting to see the difference, if it's less sharpened or lower bitrate.
I'm not sure at the moment.

I did some testing myself. Switching from SFINE to FINE simply lowered the overall bitrate.
SFINE: Just shy of 24mbps
FINE: Just over 21mbps

Makes me kinda wish there was a high (about 30) bitrate firmware version with MPH as well as a sharpness adjustment.

Just returned from a travel using the "fine" setting. These are my opinions:

- Sfine has a slightly higher bitrate
- Fine produces many artifacts in vertical lines (streetlights, walls...)

For me Fine isn't usable. Only Sfine, will test without HDR to see if the oversharpening is equal or better...
Will try to post some pictures of the FIne and Sfine difference regarding image artifacts.

Back