Dash Cam Buttons...Melted?

LoneWoof

Reaction score
Country
United States
I left my SG9663DC out in the sun today for around 7 hours. It was running parking mode. When I got home earlier today and wanted to turn it off (because I didn't need parking mode at home), I realized that the buttons were pushed..inward? I know it wasn't like that before, because the other button I've never even touched. The buttons still work though (I can turn off the dashcam by pressing it).
IMAG1011.jpgIMAG1012.jpg

Sent it to you through PM.

i had a button pushed in once, thought i pressed it too hard or something so i pulled it apart to fix it up.

The same thing happened to me (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/camera-will-turn-on-30-minutes-later.35251/). My buttons on the replacement cam are pushed in a bit however they work okay, sometimes I have to give it a bit more pressure to press it. On the first cam I had, they got stuck and were really hard to push. I think it is caused by the heat.

i had a button pushed in once, thought i pressed it too hard or something so i pulled it apart to fix it up.

Just wondering since you fixed it have they been pushed in again?

I've asked the hardware engineer to look at this to see if we need to improve the design on the button mechanism

This happens to mine as well, on hot summer days. Buttons get stuck and feel mushy.

Update:

We recently confirmed that the 2 customers with the reported warped button issue have confirmed they are putting up reflective heat shields in their windshield when they park to keep the cabin cooler. This actually creates an extremely hot amplified oven environment between the windshield and camera. This small oven pocket will for sure exceed any dashcam rated max operating (and even storage) heat specs and should be avoided.

User manual will be updated to let people know that might not realize the repercussions of doing this.

Please don’t put up reflective heat blocking shields in your vehicle if there is a dashcam between that and the windshield.

Last edited:
Aaaa nice to hear it took a special set of circumstances to pull the melting button trick off.

Aaaa nice to hear it took a special set of circumstances to pull the melting button trick off.

it will cause a problem, that said we are upgrading the plastics used to a higher temp rating, I expect that heat shields would still be a problem anyway but the temp rating will be 20°C higher which allows a bit more headroom

Damn, I wish I saw this thread before I kept my shield up. Anyway to pop the buttons back into place?

No i think you are entitled to a replacement camera, the official SG rep should catch on to this soon.

It is not supposed to happen.

Damn, I wish I saw this thread before I kept my shield up. Anyway to pop the buttons back into place?

No i think you are entitled to a replacement camera, the official SG rep should catch on to this soon.

It is not supposed to happen.

Any DashCam will melt if you use a reflective heat shield. It creates an oven like environment amplified many degrees hotter than normal. Physics meets Electronics/Plastic can only do so much

Aaaa yeah if thats a shield that go up from the inside, and so trap air and camera between it and the glass, then yeah that might be a problem.
Up untill right now i was like ???? why, thinking that shield went on the outside of the windscreen, but i think things just fell in place for me.

Maybe you can get some new buttons ? it is not rocket science taking the camera apart, and i do think you need to put new buttons in place from the inside out.

If the buttons are compatible with older models of the GC camera i might be able to do something for you, but i don't know if those buttons can be used. ???

Just rebooted my brain and the GC and the DC are completely different button designs. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I mean, the science makes sense as to why this would happen. I was just short-sighted to not see the problem.
So will my warranty cover this? If not, any tips to resolve the issue? Just looking for any advice right now.

If the rest of the camera are good, i hope maybe the boss can throw a few buttons in a envelope to you, at least that way you can get back up and running without having to press the switches with a pen or something which i assume you can do without the buttons.
I am not sure this is covered by warranty, but i am fairly sure that if you want to go with a new camera and still a SG one you can get a return / existing customer discount.

But if you are good with opening the camera up and the boss can source you some new buttons, that would be ideal to soldier on for now.

I am donating my DC to my friend when i get new models to work with, so i am not able to donate you the front camera / buttons.

Yeah, I mean, the science makes sense as to why this would happen. I was just short-sighted to not see the problem.
So will my warranty cover this? If not, any tips to resolve the issue? Just looking for any advice right now.
serial number of your camera?

Back