Dash cam video locking

winship

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am traveling to the Yukon and Alaska.Is there a dashcam that has a button that I can lock a video it is taking for 5 minutes.Example, I am cruising down the road and there is a bear crossing the road very slowly.Is there a button I can push to keep 2 or 5 minutes of this video.The dashcam keeps recording and restarts new again when the card is full but my video of the bear is saved.Can one save episodes like this more than once.I really would like to buy a dashcam that can do this.My trip will take 100 hours and 99% of it is not interesting.

I think almost every camera has a button to save a video from automatic deletion, let's call that button SOS button as some cameras do.
These cameras records video segments like 3 minutes or 5 minutes long, usually when you press SOS button that current video file will be marked as read only and it will not be overwritten, it's a matter of luck is your event happening on the first or last second of current segment.
Some cameras like my G90 record 30 seconds when pressing SOS button, 10 seconds before button press and 20 second after, this is good system but you must remember push button quite fast if you see something worth to save.
This is reason why i use large memory card, my cycle time is about 6 hours so i don't have to do nothing right away, i can look and save that event later.

I think almost every camera has a button to save a video from automatic deletion, let's call that button SOS button as some cameras do.
These cameras records video segments like 3 minutes or 5 minutes long, usually when you press SOS button that current video file will be marked as read only and it will not be overwritten, it's a matter of luck is your event happening on the first or last second of current segment.
Some cameras like my G90 record 30 seconds when pressing SOS button, 10 seconds before button press and 20 second after, this is good system but you must remember push button quite fast if you see something worth to save.
This is reason why i use large memory card, my cycle time is about 6 hours so i don't have to do nothing right away, i can look and save that event later.

Thanks for the reply.I shall read some Dashcam manuals.

I recommend at least two at least 32 GB memory cards, it would be a shame if that event happen to be just in change of video file and you get only a part of that event, or that event could last 15 minutes or more.
You must stop time to time to stretch anyway at your journey, that would be a good time to select appropriate video files and save them for good to your hard drive.
I use 5 minute segment, and still many times that accident or what ever is divided in two video files and i must parse them together before final cut.

Sod's law dictates that the one event you wish to save happens on the cusp of a file change AND the locked file will be the one containing the least amount of information needed

Back