Dashboard temperature.

I use black electrical tape above mine to shield them from midday sun which appeared to reduce the temperature by around 20C back at mid summer.
I used to do that too but the tape didn't stick very long and it draw more attention to the place where the camera is. Now I use one of those "metallic" windscreen sunshades, XXL size, and I put it on the outside, stuck between the doors. Not only it protects the camera but also doesn't let the glass heat up, keeping the inside of the car cooler too.

Does the dashboard temperature matter that much when the majority of us have the front camera attached to the top of the windscreen?

A qualified "yes" here. The dashboard heat will rise to the cam location above so a cooler dash = a cooler cam.

A paradox we're stuck with is that for least dashboard reflection which can affect video, you want it flat (matte) black- but that is also the exact color you use for acquiring the most solar radiation and heat. Can't win either way.

Phil

I only asked because I noticed that the temperature inside the car was not as high when the roof is in the shade than when I protect the dashboard but leave half the car's roof exposed directly to the sun (I have a black matte"ish" cloth over the dashboard, don't know if it has anything to do with it).

Does the dashboard temperature matter that much when the majority of us have the front camera attached to the top of the windscreen? Isn't the roof temperature more important in this case?

Some car has toned part of the windscreen to shade other don't. So the camera will more or less be exposed to suns ray and will probably get close to these temperature I mentions.

Some car has toned part of the windscreen to shade other don't. So the camera will more or less be exposed to suns ray and will probably get close to these temperature I mentions.
Mine does but it doesn't protect the camera at all, and since I installed it I never once left the camera exposed directly to the sun.
What I meant when I mentioned leaving the dashboard exposed was only the dashboard, not the windscreen.

For the temperature issues cited, I use a suction cup mount to at least allow some air circulation around the camera. At least the camera isn't "baking" on the dashboard or, worse, the windshield. The air temperature still gets very hot inside--even when the outside day temperature only 68F or 20C.

If I really want to run a dashcam while parked in the sun, I'll mount it elsewhere, such as between the headrest and seat to reduce the impact of heat damage.

Back