Dashcam Recommendation

GarySch

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy a few dashcams for my trucks. The trucks are running for most of the day and they go through quite extreme temperatures. As a result, I need something that can survive the heat of the desert on a consistent basis. Reliability and build quality are really important as my drivers are unlikely to treat the cameras with the utmost care.

Even though the trucks are fitted with trackers, GPS functionality is still important as I'd want to have the ability to monitor the vehicle's speed when watching the clips. As for a screen, well preferably not as I'm worried it may be more tempting for thieves (I'm in South Africa) but, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if they did have.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Thanks! I'll take a look at it..

Anything that's currently available?

Lukas LK-7900, bigger form factor though.

Thanks! I'll take a look at it..

Anything that's currently available?
Yes yet they are larger. A good one, available now would be the Powerucc Panorama II or the VicoVation Marcus 1, which is being released as we speak. They are both reliable, great quality and durable, just not super discreet.

I would say the Mini 0801, unfortunately the mount is a little fragile. An upgrade is coming maybe with a better mount.

Gurkha9's reccomendation was a good one. Jokiin's GuardTrak camera fits your needs perfectly. It's designed to take the heat, easy on/off mount, quality construction, 2 year warranty, GPS, screen and all this in a camera the size of a credit card.

There are many great new dashcams will be available in upcoming few month, but they still need to be so called "approved" by the real life tests, firmware bugs etc., which againg will take another couple of month.
What is your budget per each dashcam?

Lukas or Panorama II can record on 128Gb SDXC.

Thanks for all the responses!

Recording time is not the biggest of issues for me. I'd be happy with using 32gb cards and, if need be, lowering the resolution slightly. It's only needed in the event of an "accident" taking place. Plus the occasional random inspection..

I know Lukas is introducing their OBD functionality which seems rather useful! Are any other manufacturers considering the same?

As for the size factor, this is not a major issue for me either. I'd be happy to sacrifice some "discreetness" in return for better reliability and build quality.

Recording time is not the biggest of issues for me. I'd be happy with using 32gb cards and, if need be, lowering the resolution slightly. It's only needed in the event of an "accident" taking place. Plus the occasional random inspection..

I know Lukas is introducing their OBD functionality which seems rather useful! Are any other manufacturers considering the same?

As for the size factor, this is not a major issue for me either. I'd be happy to sacrifice some "discreetness" in return for better reliability and build quality.

BlackSys / Camsys has also OBD series but its 2 channel and much more expencive.

Off topic: interesting to me you want to use OBD for recording engine temperature or other parameters?
Thanks

Lukas OBD: BlackSys OBD
Thanks!
I know about the function of these Dashcams and about OBD (as an automotive engineer), but I wonder what parameters @GarySch will use for yourself.
Maybe I do not know about these tricks?:)

Thanks!
I know about the function of these Dashcams and about OBD (as an automotive engineer), but I wonder what parameters @GarySch will use for yourself.
Maybe I do not know about these tricks?:)

I suppose it's just about being able to tell (in the event of an accident) whether or not the driver engaged brakes, used his turn signals, etc etc.. This could help determine the cause of the accident (driver error or vehicle malfunction).

if the camera has a G-Sensor then the data recorded will show deceleration prior to impact, likewise the sound of a turn signal relay is often heard in the recording, there's lots of info there already without getting into OBD info, I've looked at OBD interface and it may be something we'll include at some stage, at the moment the systems that have it don't work with all cars and are a bit primitive in their implementation, it's the type of thing that I'd rather do right not just do for the sake of saying we have it, at this stage I just don't think it's there

I suppose it's just about being able to tell (in the event of an accident) whether or not the driver engaged brakes, used his turn signals, etc etc.. This could help determine the cause of the accident (driver error or vehicle malfunction).
Now I understood. I thought in the beginning about OBD use for control of actions of the driver as correctly it operates the motor.

Back