Dashcam stolen - tracking it?

Witchcraftz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Does this dash cam have any way of tracking it?

My car was broken into tonight and they stole the dashcam.

Sorry to hear. Even if the serial number is known it won't help police track it online anywhere after someone connects the wifi. (There is no low-jack / iCloud like tracking with dashcam products out there just yet)

I didn't think so. But figured I'd ask.

I want a new dash cam that is "insivible" what is available? And if it's electrified that would be a bonus...

Another question, I can't find the serial number on the box?

It looks good but lacks wifi it seems unless I missed it.

Also will need something cheap for now as this is my third case of someone breaking into/or taking my property and I'm strapped for money (insurance -ICBC- sucks here they refuse to honor coverage in most cases).

We include a OTG card reader if you have an android device. If you really need / use wifi often check out the HooToo TravelMate Nano for $15 on Amazon.

The Hootoo is interesting. How much are you selling this SGZC12RC?

Also can you control the whole system through the dongle? I want to mount the main box inside the dash where people wouln't be able to get into it. The thief stole stuff from my glovebox too so keeping it anywhere easy to find would be useless.

RC is $200 USD (we can export no probkem) and it will be in stock again in about a week. It will also be listed on Amazon.CA soon after that as well. CalgaryDashCam might have some in stock. BlackBoxMyCar recently started carrying Street Guardian as well.

Control is all done through the touch screen on the mini monitor which you can hide anywhere you want. (Very long cable included)

So $300 CAD.... Not bad but don't have the cash at the moment. Will have to wait.

If this had a wifi connection for controlling it, it would be almost perfect.

What do you need to control or change exactly? It's pretty much a set it and forget it appliance once aimed and setup correctly.

I like being able to go through the various motion and event recordings and save them if needed without having to go into the car and fiddle with buttons.

With the 7950 I could sit in the back seat, my living room or a coffee shop and was able to download videos to my cell for uploading or sharing.

Ah, you might want to get a new 7950 then. Lukas is the only decent wifi dual channel system with good night performance and reliability. Maybe @Calgary Dash Camera - Robert can cut you a deal. There are some exciting new dual channel wifi products in development for 2016 but a ways away.

Can you add car insurance to cover it should this happen again?

The insurance company (only 1 here) has a deductible of $200-$500 and won't cover electronics like dash cams or radar detectors which it considers "no part of the car".

The insurance company (only 1 here) has a deductible of $200-$500 and won't cover electronics like dash cams or radar detectors which it considers "no part of the car".
If you have homeowners/renters insurance you might want to check that.

I had some stuff stolen from my car some years ago and my auto insurance covered damage caused by the break-in to the car and my homeowners covered the stuff that was stolen. Unfortunately there is still the deductible that has to be considered which is probably more than the value of the camera.

You are correct, my homeowners insurance has a $500 deductible, so if I make a claim for the $800 stolen this time, (dashcam,tool, knife,sunglasses,etc.) after depreciation of value I'd get about $50, and my yearly insurance premiums will go up by $100. Basically unless your claim is in the thousands it's not worth it. :(

The great thing is they keep breaking in without breaking my windows. The bad thing is they keep breaking in without breaking the windows, last night I found evidence they used a sharp knife like object to open the lock. It left a cut groove in the plastic above the keyhole.

After last night I've decided to sell the car. It's been a great solid reliable ride for a couple of years but if breaking into it is this easy I'm damned if I'm going to continue to line the pockets of thieves and druggies.

Last edited:
Ah, you might want to get a new 7950 then. Lukas is the only decent wifi dual channel system with good night performance and reliability. Maybe @Calgary Dash Camera - Robert can cut you a deal. There are some exciting new dual channel wifi products in development for 2016 but a ways away.

Can you add car insurance to cover it should this happen again?
I would be happy to help, and get your dash cam back on

Back