Dashcam Theft on rise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! It's an epidemic!!!

"Police are warning motorists about a sharp rise in the number of dashcams stolen from cars during the day in Lincoln.'

"Two cars parked in a car park on Malkin Street were broken into on Thursday, April 6 between 8am and 6pm."

"Two dashcams, a telematics machine and some loose change were stolen."!

"Smashed Vauxhall car window on Nightingale Crescent – nothing taken"

"A jacket could contain cash or cigarettes that may encourage them."
  • Volkswagen car broken into on Ivywood Close – two coats valued at £230
  • Vauxhall Astra window broken on Harrier Court – £5 in cash
  • Ford (Europe) broken into – tool bag taken
  • Hyundai Santa Fe on Queensway – unspecified items taken
  • Ford Focus and outbuilding broken into on Martin Road – wood taken from building
  • Hyundai Ioniq on Queens Way – alcohol, wine, wallet and aftershave taken
AFTERSHAVE!!

OMG!!!

Heaven Help Us!

This sounds more like online news outlet (and DCT) click bait about a spate of petty break-ins than a truly rampant "dash cam theft" crime wave. :rolleyes:

Plus the article cited was from February 26, 2020, more than two years ago and the second article cited was from December 19, 2019, 28 months ago. :unsure:

Last edited:
I must admit, I've always considered a dashcam in some areas could be a magnet rather than a deterrent.

I see some dashcams, clearly in view with the lead just dangling down from the cam to power socket and think if anyone is going to break in then a recording dashcam is going to go.

In the UK maybe...
I haven't heard anything about dashcam theft being a serious issue in USA.

I'm not aware of a particular issue here in the UK. The most popular models do seem to be those that dangle from a ball joint, making them easy to see and to grab.

Correct.

I didn't mention the UK specifically but just my thoughts on leaving a clearly visible dashcam in easy view.

Just my opinion but on balance I'd rather leave a dashcam recording when parked than remove it. I reckon it's more likely to provide useful evidence and a possible deterrent than it is to invite a break-in.

If someone damages my car when it's parked, the camera might allow my insurer to recover the cost from the other party.
If someone steals a camera when my car is parked, I'll claim on insurance and buy another one.

I'm not aware of a particular issue here in the UK. The most popular models do seem to be those that dangle from a ball joint, making them easy to see and to grab.

Correct.

I didn't mention the UK specifically but just my thoughts on leaving a clearly visible dashcam in easy view.
Or anyone using a GoPro as a dashcam.
If one is using that, then don't be surprised that it gets stolen...The same as leaving any valuables in your car.

I doubt that anyone doing car theft would recognize or even care to steal a SG9667C2K or an A119 V3. They might know what a GoPro is.

I doubt that anyone doing car theft would recognize or even care to steal a SG9667C2K or an A119 V3. They might know what a GoPro is.

That's pretty much been my experience over the years. Most of the time people who notice my dash cams don't know what they are or what they do. That's changed slightly as dash cams have become more common but even with that people will see my A119 V3 and think it is some kind of rain sensor.

Just don't leave aftershave lying around your vehicle in plain sight! :smuggrin:

I'll think twice once my car is actually broken into and my dash cam is stolen.

In the UK maybe...
I haven't heard anything about dashcam theft being a serious issue in USA.
The USA is mighty bigger than the UK. Most people won't even log a dash cam theft with the police.
Getting stats will be impossible. In the UK garden sheds are broken into all the time.
A door to door cpa proved just 2.2% of shed robberies are reported.
Dashcam robberies are probably less.

Or anyone using a GoPro as a dashcam.
If one is using that, then don't be surprised that it gets stolen...The same as leaving any valuables in your car.

In the UK they would steal dog poo if you leave it in the car.
They kill for £5 here so if a Dashcam looks that it could pay for a bit of booze, trust me they will steal it.
You won't hear about dashcam theft because 99% of people won't even bother reporting it to get just a crime number.

In the UK they would steal dog poo if you leave it in the car.
They kill for £5 here so if a Dashcam looks that it could pay for a bit of booze, trust me they will steal it.
You won't hear about dashcam theft because 99% of people won't even bother reporting it to get just a crime number.
That was before Brexit, when there were gangs roaming our backyards and shipping all our tools back home!

Last edited by a moderator:
That was before Brexit, when there were gangs of eastern Europeans roaming our backyards and shipping all our tools back home!
Amazingly, the crime rate has gone up in London since Brexit. Since Brexit January 2020, The crime rate in London has increased 30%.
So this is something us Brits can't put on foreign people leaving here.
We have to carry our own dirty laundry now :(

Amazingly, the crime rate has gone up in London since Brexit. Since Brexit January 2020, The crime rate in London has increased 30%.
So this is something us Brits can't put on foreign people leaving here.
We have to carry our own dirty laundry now :(
That was mainly due to people having Covid Parties :ROFLMAO:

That was mainly due to people having Covid Parties :ROFLMAO:

Besides, London is still occupied mainly by foreign people and people with multiple nationalities.
Covid parties- very true
I live in an area with very limited "foreign people" and 200 miles from London. Our crime rate has increased 22% and serious crime is up 6%- and all AFTER Brexit.
I think most of the people you refer to are British born.
If you take Benidorm for example, it's 99% British and over the past ten years it's crime rate has risen exponentially.
I'm not ashamed to admit, our own people are responsible too.

If Spain has a Spexit (God help us) and they sent all the Brits home, we would see our crime rates treble. Brits are living on peanuts in Spain. If they return here, stealing or claiming benefit will be their only option to survive.

***Benidorm is mostly populated by Brits-
Here are the latest stats***

Statistics published yesterday show Benidorm on the southeast coast is the most likely place to be robbed or assaulted.

The resort is among the top holiday spots in the world for Irish and British tourists.

Last year, however, there were more than 175 offences recorded for every 1,000 inhabitants, while the national average is just under 47 per 1,000.

***Cyprus is the same***
Expats are moving their families out there from the UK.
I have a friend who opened a Security Alarm company in Peya which is filled with Brits. His business is thriving with installations every day as burglaries come in like a tsunami.
I lived in Cyprus in 1974. Crime was unheard of back then. Now the hotels are warning people to be on guard for thieves and pickpockets.

**I think all we did with Brexit was lose valuable hgv drivers resulting in extortionate food prices. We also lost valuable nurses and doctors, resulting in dead people due to a collapsed NHS.

Its not the news us Brits want but facts are facts. :(

Last edited:
The USA is mighty bigger than the UK. Most people won't even log a dash cam theft with the police.
Getting stats will be impossible. In the UK garden sheds are broken into all the time.
A door to door cpa proved just 2.2% of shed robberies are reported.
Dashcam robberies are probably less.

The size of the US has nothing to do with whether people report crimes. People live in cities, towns, villages comprised of smaller communities and neighborhoods, all of which have local law enforcement services. People tend to report crimes like car break-ins and burglaries and these crimes are always logged and statistics are collected. When someone smashes your car window, you report it so you can claim it on your insurance for the costly repair. Whatever may get stolen from your vehicle is only part of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back