Theft of Dashcams

Bluenose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 622GW
Hello folks
I am very new here and have learnt quite a bit from reading the articles in the various sections.

I have just purchased my very first dashcam and intend having it fitted into my next car which I am hoping to get before the end of the month. My initial thoughts are to have the front and rear cameras hard wired but, I am wondering what is the level of reported thefts of such cameras.

I have looked around but as yet I have not seen much by way of reported thefts. I know that it has always been a bit risky to leave portable SatNav units on show in your car and, I have often heard of cars being broken into to steal them. I imagine that it would follow that dashcams would be subject to similar action.

With this in mind I am wondering if I might be better off by installing the front and rear cameras in such a way as to be easily removed when parking overnight. I know that I will lose the benefit of 'Parking Mode' but at least I will have peace of mind knowing that I am unlikely to have a brick put through my window. In any case, parking mode will not be of much help if the thief puts the brick through a side window, neither camera will be of help in this instance.

If the cameras are installed as 'removable' I can still conceal all of the wiring so that just the plugs are visible.

What are the general thoughts of fellow members?

I think in part a lot depends on where you are, I've had multiple cameras in my cars for the last few years and never take them out, most people here aren't that familiar with them though so perhaps that might be different if thieves were looking for them, most still don't know about them still

I have a B40 A118 dash cam where I have hidden all the wiring through the roof and down the A pillar and into the dash. you can see part of mine if you know to look for it. I attach mine first thing in the morning and then remove it last thing at night. When the weather gets warmer I will leave it in there 24*7.

The new Street Guardian SG7LA50G has a nice quick release button eject system just for this purpose. Just pop it in the included micro-fiber bag.

I prefer permanent hard wired parking mode systems myself. I haven't heard of any local DashCam smash and grabs yet but anything is possible and stealthy or removed is best of course to be safe.

I wouldn't go too nuts. If I were a crook, I'd likely steer clear of security cameras in lieu of stealing them. I'd hate to get run off half way through the job.

I do suggest shutting all off when the car is unattended. When cell phones were less common, I returned to a smashed passenger window and busted glove box door because the charger's LED attracted attention. They left the charger, but took the spare change. I'd have had less damage if I left the car unlocked.

My Panoramas are out there and easily visible to passersby and I park in a tough part of town at work. I am sure most people have no idea what they are.
If someone wants to smash a window to steal one or both of my cameras, they would have to take the time to unscrew it from the mount and/or try to rip it off and most likely destroy the camera in the process. I have them mounted with a really thick and strong version of 3m VHB. So strong in fact that my windshield was flexing so much when I was trying to move one myself.

Ultimately, the camera would be useless to them and hopefully even a thief would realize that the risk is not really worth the reward especially if they are interrupted. My cameras are always running :)

Last edited:
Life is too short to worry about these things. You are as likely to lose your wheels and rims as you are your DashCam. These are crimes of opportunity and you can not do anything about it. Try to be aware, and move on.

Life is too short to worry about these things.

The prospect of returning to my car to find broken side window glass throughout the interior, plus missing DashCams, would worry me. Not to mention the hassle of fixing the mess & dealing with the insurance claim.

Which is why I would never install a conspicuous DashCam, no matter how good it's performance. Install a small, discreet camera that can be mounted in such a way as to be near-invisible from outside, e.g. Mobius, Innovv, etc. Or one that is likely to be mistaken for OEM equipment, e.g. A118, CDV300X, etc.

Back