"DashCam Viewer" is NOT reading or displaying GPS info

I have non-GPS A119 and tried Dashcamviewer but stopped at this point...

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 12.12.32.png

I didn't know exactly what this means. Why would I play 5 movies at a time - I only have two eyes? Or does it mean it's limited to playing 5 movies in total before I have to pay up?

Is it free? Does "Purchase" mean there's no free version? Where would I get a registration code from? What does "Not Now" stop me from doing?
Kind of confusing all round.

I couldn't be bothered to waste time on something confusing, which might cost me, when there were other options being recommended. So I stopped right here, uninstalled Dashcam Viewer, then downloaded VLC and Quicktime, both with free versions, and they work fine on my Macbook Pro Retina running 10.9.5

the free version can only load 5 files at a time, gives you a chance to try before you buy

this is perhaps less useful if you don't have GPS though

Unfortunately just like your older version, i still can't get this to work :/

All i get is a black screen - play / pause does nothing whilst the movie shows up in 'movies & geotags'.
Are you using 1440p? A lot of users can't get DV to work with 1440p (or 1296p). I know I can't. I think DV's latest update just fixes GPS info related to the latest A119 firmware update.

Unfortunately just like your older version, i still can't get this to work :/

All i get is a black screen - play / pause does nothing whilst the movie shows up in 'movies & geotags'.

@F0x135 sorry for the trouble. One thing you can try is to reduce the dashcam movie resolution to 1080p or lower. If that doesn't work can you PM me your dashcam settings (movie resolution setting, firmware version) and your PC details (Mac or Windows, which OS version, memory, processor type)? Thanks

Usually people are using 1440p for A119 recordings.
If you have a beta which you know it will be not final version I think you can let it free, or increase the number of played videos to something like 50.
Here is the work of @SergeiF of extracting GPS data.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have non-GPS A119 and tried Dashcamviewer but stopped at this point...

Is it free? Does "Purchase" mean there's no free version? Where would I get a registration code from? What does "Not Now" stop me from doing?
Kind of confusing all round.

redblue_pill.jpg

@DavidUK, think of the "Not Now" button as the Blue Pill. It's the safe option. You choose it and you pay nothing. You will experience a taste of Dashcam Viewer up to 5 movies long but not be immersed in its full reality. Choose the Red Pill by clicking Purchase and your mind will be blown by the ability to extend your journey out to 500 movies or more. It's your choice. ;)

But seriously if your dashcam doesn't provide GPS information, then the utility of DV is somewhat muted. You could still use it to string together all your movie segments so that they playback seamlessly (no need to keep loading one after the other, like you would in QuickTime Player).

Are you using 1440p? A lot of users can't get DV to work with 1440p (or 1296p). I know I can't. I think DV's latest update just fixes GPS info related to the latest A119 firmware update.

Ah! I remember reading somewhere that was going to be addressed, so i stupidly assumed this verion would've been it.

@F0x135 sorry for the trouble. One thing you can try is to reduce the dashcam movie resolution to 1080p or lower. If that doesn't work can you PM me your dashcam settings (movie resolution setting, firmware version) and your PC details (Mac or Windows, which OS version, memory, processor type)? Thanks

First off, THANK YOU for your hard work mate. Yeah the 1440P issue is what got me. I'll roll 1080P next time around.

1440p is no issue for me and DV plays that well (Windows 10, 64 bit).

Unfortunately no joy with the GPS - I am now running V2.5 with V2.0 firmware (A119_20161041_V2.0). DV doesn't pick up GPS position info at all now, not even at the position at the end of the file. Time is picked up correctly.

I haven't had a chance to look at the hex dump of the file yet to see what is actually being written

@RogerL , it can be frustrating keeping up with all these rapid-fire firmware changes. :confused: Perhaps manufacturers, like @viofo , will consider proactively informing me of firmware changes that affect the GPS data encoding. That would be great, but until then I rely on folks like you to send me sample movies so I can deconstruct the format changes.

@RogerL , it can be frustrating keeping up with all these rapid-fire firmware changes. :confused: Perhaps manufacturers, like @viofo , will consider proactively informing me of firmware changes that affect the GPS data encoding. That would be great, but until then I rely on folks like you to send me sample movies so I can deconstruct the format changes.
Do you have any insight as to why some users have been able to use your DV player with 1440p videos and some cannot. Are there certain drivers it requires? I know my Windows 10 64 bit system can't play them. Maybe it's a video card restriction? It's strange that some can and some cannot.

Thanks for your great work, this is related to the Novatek latest SDK.

Yes, I can imagine it being difficult for you!

I'll get a sample file uploaded for you and send you the link when I get back on my desktop PC.

Do you have any insight as to why some users have been able to use your DV player with 1440p videos and some cannot. Are there certain drivers it requires? I know my Windows 10 64 bit system can't play them. Maybe it's a video card restriction? It's strange that some can and some cannot.

Yes, I agree it's frustrating. As far as I can determine the ability to play 1440p videos on Windows Dashcam Viewer is function of the Windows version (seems like 10 is the way to go), the video card, video card driver, and possibly the screen resolution and CPU. The video module I use is a "black box" so I can't get in there very easily to diagnose it. Fortunately, 1080p videos play well on most Win10 systems of modern vintage and the small sensor sizes and apertures on these dashcams make the difference between 1080p and 1440p not as large as the megapixelage numbers would indicate.

Thanks for your great work, this is related to the Novatek latest SDK.

Gotcha. Thanks for the update, @viofo !

I'll get a sample file uploaded for you and send you the link when I get back on my desktop PC.

That will be very helpful, @RogerL . I've got a fix implemented for the A119 issue @HardNougat 's was having but I'll hold off on a release until I hear from you.

The newly released V2.5.1 is now working well with the 2.0 A119 firmware. There are still instances where if the GPS info isn't present at the start of the file (ie when you just power up), it isn't picked up for that duration of that file, but in most instances it is picked up as soon as available, and in any case it always works from the next file in the sequence.

@traveller - I'll try and get you an example of one that isn't picked up asap, unfortunately my current ones have private conversations on the audio ! - Great job fixing things reported to you so far though and the program and A119 combination are very usable for me now.

I installed the latest version of Dashcam Viewer (2.5.2), but I'm unable to play 1440p videos from my A119 (didn't try recording in 1080p yet, but I'm planning to use 1440p regularly. I can see all the GPS data in Dashcam Viewer fine for the video's timeline, but the video window is all black and the video cannot be played.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit with Intel i5-3320M CPU and Intel HD Graphics 4000. My A119 is on the latest official firmware (A119.160829.V1.1).

Does anyone know another program that could be tried instead of Dashcam Viewer?

Registrator Viewer should work great for the 1440p files. GPS info won't show though.

Registrator Viewer should work great for the 1440p files. GPS info won't show though.

I meant another program that could show the GPS info during playback. Otherwise, I could just use something like VLC media player to view the videos.

I meant another program that could show the GPS info during playback. Otherwise, I could just use something like VLC media player to view the videos.
There is no other player that will show GPS that I know of.

Tried on another computer (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, AMD A4-6210 with AMD Radeon R3 graphics), but Dashcam Viewer is unable to play the 1440p video files from the A119. Again, I can see the GPS info during the video timeline fine, but the actual video cannot be played.

Back