Dashcam Virgin - advice please

That may absorb the sun's heat and warm the air around the camera!
I'm sure it is possible to improve things, but it is not as easy as it first seems.

Some GoPro mounts are costly, but there are a lot of generic versions that are really cheap, and the cheap ones work fine, the camera is a lot lighter than a GoPro. I recommend using sticky mounts rather than suction mounts, you don't need to reattach them once a month or whatever it is!
Yes I thought about the 'black' after I posted. Silver might be better. There are window films that are one-way mirror type but Bunnings also has reflective opaque film. As I would only be using it on the area immediately in front of the rear view mirror I don't think I'd be breaching any laws about visibility, but the see thru version might help prevent cops from getting sticky about it. ;)

I see some cams come with sticky pads for the mount but also electrostatic ones. From the little I can work out they seem to work together but I can't work out how or what benefit an electrostatic mount might give.

For the interior mount, if I go for one with separate cam, I am looking at something like this - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/386482908511 - is that what you mean by el cheapo GoPro mount? I like that it's a lever-based suction rather than the normal plastic suction cup idea.

Mind you I've also thought about mounting the main cam on similar mount - although there might be a vibration problem with the extra lever moment. It would allow for relocating if initial choice was problematic.

Of course with the Vantrue N5, if I can swing that one, there's no need for extra mounts. I haven't found a compare of the Viofo A229 Pro & the N5 so if anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Last edited:
Depending on the camera you choose and your vehicle it may be possible to mount it on the sensor housing/cover. That will shield it from most direct sunlight at the hottest times of the day.

For the interior mount, if I go for one with separate cam, I am looking at something like this - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/386482908511 - is that what you mean by el cheapo GoPro mount? I like that it's a lever-based suction rather than the normal plastic suction cup idea.
There are lots of options on GoPro mounts!

I was thinking of something with a flat surface that the camera can be stuck to with the standard sticky pad:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/404240939857
But you can go for more complex solutions:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/375166730749
Older Elantra so no sensor cover, just a sunglasses pocket. :confused:
Don't know about Elantras, but in Oz, moving the main camera 10 cm away from the glass can make a big difference to its temperature, not quite sure why, but I think it is to do with air circulation around the camera and maybe being in cooler air. Don't think there is any issue with the remote cameras.

I see some cams come with sticky pads for the mount but also electrostatic ones. From the little I can work out they seem to work together but I can't work out how or what benefit an electrostatic mount might give.
The electrostatic sticker is much easier to remove from the glass, so good for temporary mounting, or if you are not confident in where you are placing it.
There is no other advantage, for a permanent install I wouldn't use it, if I am putting a camera in a temporary hire car then I definitely use it.

As I would only be using it on the area immediately in front of the rear view mirror I don't think I'd be breaching any laws about visibility, but the see thru version might help prevent cops from getting sticky about it. ;)
It is very easy to cut a smallish piece of window tint film and make it look like factory install, I have a piece behind my mirror that fills the space between the sun visors, not just good for the cameras to hide behind, it also keeps the sun out of my eyes near sunset. Installing film gets more difficult as the size increases, but for the size you want it is very easy.

I haven't found a compare of the Viofo A229 Pro & the N5 so if anyone knows of one, please let me know.
From memory, I think someone said the N5 wasn't using HDR, or maybe not on all channels, which would make the A229 significantly better, but you had better check that out, I may well be wrong. The N4 seems pretty good, although I would still choose the Viofo because of features like the parking duration timer and much better long term support/firmware updates.

I was thinking of something with a flat surface that the camera can be stuck to with the standard sticky pad:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/404240939857
That's what I was looking for - in the brief search I did I found mainly ones with something poking out - screw or button etc.
Don't know about Elantras, but in Oz, moving the main camera 10 cm away from the glass can make a big difference to its temperature, not quite sure why, but I think it is to do with air circulation around the camera and maybe being in cooler air. Don't think there is any issue with the remote cameras.
I'd guess because the immediate area close to glass, the heat rises along the glass &/or prevents the heat exchange out of the cam?
There is no other advantage, for a permanent install I wouldn't use it, if I am putting a camera in a temporary hire car then I definitely use it.
I don't want TOO permanent, as I'd like to replace the car sometime soon. (C'mon Powerball! :D )
From memory, I think someone said the N5 wasn't using HDR, or maybe not on all channels, which would make the A229 significantly better, but you had better check that out
I think it's not on all but would have to check. However in the meantime I scaled back a bit with the Vantrue. Reading comments around the web the N5 seems to be a bit new. Apart from one guy who seems to have got a lemon (but didn't say anything about doing a warranty claim) there are a few comments about it needing improvements & hoping they'd be fixed in FW updates.

So I'm back to looking at the A229 or the N4 Pro. They seem equally rated on numerous sites.

One question - I presume the remote cams all have ability to turn the lens vertically? Would seem a necessity because angle of rear windows vary.

One question - I presume the remote cams all have ability to turn the lens vertically? Would seem a necessity because angle of rear windows vary.
The Viofo ones rotate 360°, so no problem for a vertical window/mount, or even upside down.
There is an option to rotate the image 180° if you want to mount it backwards.
Can't rotate the image 90°, but I don't think that is what you meant

I have some confusion re: N4 Pro cam. The specs on here, DCT, state, "The camera connects to the mount using a magnet which allows for easy removal. The N4 Pro camera can swivel 360° to record interactions at your side windows (i.e. police traffic stop)." https://dashcamtalk.com/vantrue-n4-pro/

This doesn't seem possible from what I have read/seen - do they mean the entire cam can turn on the mount? AFAIK the int cam will turn vertically but that doesn't allow driver's window view.

I have some confusion re: N4 Pro cam. The specs on here, DCT, state, "The camera connects to the mount using a magnet which allows for easy removal. The N4 Pro camera can swivel 360° to record interactions at your side windows (i.e. police traffic stop)." https://dashcamtalk.com/vantrue-n4-pro/

This doesn't seem possible from what I have read/seen - do they mean the entire cam can turn on the mount? AFAIK the int cam will turn vertically but that doesn't allow driver's window view.

It's not possible.
Have a look here it will help. Note this is the N5 but they are the same or similar body.
The video will jump to the relevant part.

I think there also is a ball joint in the N4 mount, just like in the N5 i test, but how much throw it have i have not tested, but i know there is some moment L and R
I will have a look tomorrow / later today when i hopefully go for a little drive in the snow we are supposed to get right now ( 3 AM here )

I think there also is a ball joint in the N4 mount, just like in the N5 i test, but how much throw it have i have not tested, but i know there is some moment L and R
I will have a look tomorrow / later today when i hopefully go for a little drive in the snow we are supposed to get right now ( 3 AM here )
@Journeyman
Oops wrong section.
This section of the video shows the twist or lack of.
will Jump to correct spot... I know I said that last time lol.

It's not possible.
Have a look here it will help. Note this is the N5 but they are the same or similar body.
The video will jump to the relevant part.
OK, so that looks like the mount itself will swivel slightly so it will need a test to see if it does it enough for the cabin cam to show the side window. I think the specs say 160° for the cabin cam so it shouldn't need to much of an angle to see the driver window.

Last edited:
From the video above there does seem to be some movement in the mount itself.

@Jeff_Vantrue says the movement in the mount is minor & for adjustments for the main cam view - not recommended for side window views.

Last edited:
From the video above there does seem to be some movement in the mount itself.
Not enough to rotate it to view a side window. I think it is only to adjust it for facing forward to prevent lopsided camera fitting.
"The N4 Pro camera can swivel 360° to record interactions at your side windows (i.e. police traffic stop)."

@DashCamMan - Check this review. the above sentence is misleading. Thanks. link - https://dashcamtalk.com/vantrue-n4-pro/

I think it should read that with the installed 3x cameras it can see 360 degrees.... not rotate 360 degrees.

If it could rotate that much I think it would hit the windscreen as the mount is to short.

Not enough to rotate it to view a side window. I think it is only to adjust it for facing forward to prevent lopsided camera fitting.
"The N4 Pro camera can swivel 360° to record interactions at your side windows (i.e. police traffic stop)."

@DashCamMan - Check this review. the above sentence is misleading. Thanks. link - https://dashcamtalk.com/vantrue-n4-pro/

I think it should read that with the installed 3x cameras it can see 360 degrees.... not rotate 360 degrees.

If it could rotate that much I think it would hit the windscreen as the mount is to short.
@Jeff_Vantrue provided this pic - remains to be seen on my car whether that's enough to see the drivers window. Another thing I'd need to think about is whether I want to be twisting the main cam like that very often because it might risk the mounting itself. Cams with a swivel cabin cam is a 1 finger turn but I'm thinking the N4 Pro mount would have to be a rather stiff resistance or the cam would move for road bumps etc.
1705473567680.png

Last edited:
you can see some driver side window when normally installed, but a few degrees of turn will not hurt in that case.

Not a issue for me though, if i get pulled over i exit my car to face whoever, that is not a problem here,,,,, yet

Thanks, I updated that sentence.

you can see some driver side window when normally installed, but a few degrees of turn will not hurt in that case.
Not a issue for me though, if i get pulled over i exit my car to face whoever, that is not a problem here,,,,, yet
Your front cabin sees more passenger than driver - that could work in Australia. The rear cabin view is pretty damn good. :D

I thought exiting the car in US before being told to could get you shot? :D

I tested my N5, it can swivel enough to both sides to get a good shot at the door window, mind you in my car it ( front camera ) is pretty much in the midle of the windscreen, so as the interior camera are offset to one side, it will also be a little offset.
And i have the mirror removed.
Offset to a side of a mirror one side might be useless, actually also is in my car CUZ i mounted the 70mai A800S 2 mm from the N5

Yes, you do not want to do that in the US, but here as we are more chill and dont have guns, well no problem.
Mind you, judging by other law making the idiots in charge here have made, 1 cop getting shot by a gangster in his car, and all bets are off.

In the 60ties a thief here pretty much executed 2 policemen that pulled him over, he only got out recently due to health and old age, but back then nothing happened CUZ politicians had a little balls, so did police, fight them in the old days, and you would get " messed " up at the police station.
Which i think is fair, if you can live by the fist well you can also feed on the fist.
Today look sideways at a cop here, and its assault on a civil servant on duty a,d you are in all kinds of trouble.

Last edited:
I tested my N5, it can swivel enough to both sides to get a good shot at the door window, mind you in my car it ( front camera ) is pretty much in the midle of the windscreen, so as the interior camera are offset to one side, it will also be a little offset.
And i have the mirror removed.
Offset to a side of a mirror one side might be useless, actually also is in my car CUZ i mounted the 70mai A800S 2 mm from the N5

Yes, you do not want to do that in the US, but here as we are more chill and dont have guns, well no problem.
Mind you, judging by other law making the idiots in charge here have made, 1 cop getting shot by a gangster in his car, and all bets are off.

In the 60ties a thief here pretty much executed 2 policemen that pulled him over, he only got out recently due to health and old age, but back then nothing happened CUZ politicians had a little balls, so did police, fight them in the old days, and you would get " messed " up at the police station.
Which i think is fair, if you can live by the fist well you can also feed on the fist.
Today look sideways at a cop here, and its assault on a civil servant on duty a,d you are in all kinds of trouble.
Thanks very much for that. The mount looks to be very similar to the N4 Pro mount, so crossing fingers. :D

My bad on the US comment - I didn't look to side of page to see where you are from, just went by the drive on the right.

The world is crazy these days - someone needs to explain 1984 & Brave New World were WARNINGS, not How-To manuals for society.

Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO

Back