Dashcam Virgin - advice please

Journeyman

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I came back to my car a few days back to find the front wing had been bumped. So, definitely time to invest in a dashcam. I've been doing some reading. (after the initial rush of WOW! Look at this cheap one! ;))

My funds are limited but decent (Australian) pricing is possible with likes of Afterpay, Klarna or Zip.

I want a decent cam quality, pref 3 channel with interior cam able to swivel to driver's window.

Parking: Some descriptions I've seen seem to imply dashcams that 'wake' on impact, record some video then go back to sleep. I've asked a couple of vendors if this is done using the built-in capacitor but no replies yet. So that's the 1st question - is parking recording available in any cams without hardwired?

Car gets used almost every day & most parking is secure at home. Is parking mode simple to set when at shops etc. i.e. not a painful journey through 4 levels of menu to turn it on or off?

What sort of power drain would 1 frame p/sec be? Would that usually (I realise likely cam-dependent) wake to record video or just give a series of stills when car is bumped?

I like the Viofo 229 Pro but it doesn't swivel so there's that. Or the Vantrue N4 Pro. What would be an approx equivalent to those but cheaper? Doesn't have to be 4K if 2K or 1080P is decent.

Welcome
My funds are limited but decent (Australian) pricing is possible with likes of Afterpay, Klarna or Zip.

What about paypal they also offer 4x payment system.

I want a decent cam quality, pref 3 channel with interior cam able to swivel to driver's window.

In the Viofo range the T130 has a swivel front camera.

Parking: Some descriptions I've seen seem to imply dashcams that 'wake' on impact, record some video then go back to sleep. I've asked a couple of vendors if this is done using the built-in capacitor but no replies yet. So that's the 1st question - is parking recording available in any cams without hardwired?

I doubt any Dashcam will work in "Parking Mode" after the ignition is off. (There are exceptions but that will only complicate things. )The hardwire kit allows power to be fed to the the dashcam after the ignition is off.

Car gets used almost every day & most parking is secure at home. Is parking mode simple to set when at shops etc. i.e. not a painful journey through 4 levels of menu to turn it on or off?

Using a hardwire kit will allow the dashcam to automatically go into parking mode. No need to turn on or off anything after the initial dashcam is configured for parking mode.

What sort of power drain would 1 frame p/sec be? Would that usually (I realise likely cam-dependent) wake to record video or just give a series of stills when car is bumped?

Really depends on the unit. If you use say 500mA ( 0.5 Ampere) then that should give you some idea how long it would last in parking mode. (I have over simplified this answer. )

I like the Viofo 229 Pro but it doesn't swivel so there's that. Or the Vantrue N4 Pro. What would be an approx equivalent to those but cheaper? Doesn't have to be 4K if 2K or 1080P is decent.

In the Viofo range I think the only thing that fits your request is the T130
It is a 2K front camera and the others are 1080.

https://viofo.com/dash-cam/252-t130...-1080p-for-lyft-taxi-ridesharing-drivers.html

@ AUD $321.32 for the 3 camera model.

I'm sure there are other companies that might also fit your requirements and others may chip in and offer their advice.

Cheers

I doubt any Dashcam will work in "Parking Mode" after the ignition is off
First, thanks for the detailed reply.
So what is the built-in battery/cap used for? They seem a bit overpowered to just be to hold CMOS settings.
Using a hardwire kit will allow the dashcam to automatically go into parking mode. No need to turn on or off anything after the initial dashcam is configured for parking mode
I was thinking more of how to do it without the hardwire. Given most of the time the car is safe, is it a chore to park, set Parking ON, then turn it off once back in the car? Is it something usually done with an app for the cam?
In the Viofo range I think the only thing that fits your request is the T130
It is a 2K front camera and the others are 1080.

https://viofo.com/dash-cam/252-t130...-1080p-for-lyft-taxi-ridesharing-drivers.html

@ AUD $321.32 for the 3 camera model.
Thanks - I didn't see that model so will have a look.

You can mount the A229 Pro IR Interior camera on the rear window, and it might cover outside both front windows.

You can mount the A229 Pro IR Interior camera on the rear window, and it might cover outside both front windows.
Great idea... until I checked pricing. Lowest seems to be around $480+ for the 2ch one.

The T130 seems to be the weapon of choice for me. Just got to work on the moolah side. :D

I'm sure there are other companies that might also fit your requirements and others may chip in and offer their advice
I've been looking & so far, your suggestion seems to tick all the boxes from Sony cam to swivel for interior. Others that might come close also bring a hefty price tag.

So what is the built-in battery/cap used for? They seem a bit overpowered to just be to hold CMOS settings.

Just discovered this - i hadn't posted the following. :oops:
With Viofo Dashcams the capacitor allows the unit to shutdown cleanly.
Without a battery or capacitor the last file won't close correctly which can cause file corruption.
Capacitors are replacing batteries because they are less likely to swell and tend to last longer. Heat is what will kill a battery.

There is a little rechargeable battery to remember date and time. I think the settings are stored in a seperate non volatile chip.
The GPS also has a small rechargeable battery.

how to do it without the hardwire.

You can do it without a hardwire kit if you do the following.
Purchase a Dashcam with gps.
Set parking mode on in the Dashcam menu either via the screen or the app. T130 doesn't have a screen so this would be via the app.
So to make it work you have to maintain power to the cig lighter port after the ignition is turned off.
The gotcha is you also have to monitor the voltage level of the car battery otherwise the Dashcam will drain it and that will wreck it sooner than later and also leave you stranded.

To get the Dashcam out of parking mode the Dashcam has to detect via its GPS that the car has started to move.
The car has to reach about 8 kph before it will resume normal recording.

Note this method can be flaky.
Always do your own research.

I contacted Viofo & the only negative seems the T130 will be going out of production soon, but they assured me support will continue indefinitely, just there may not be firmware updates.

Given the age of this thread, & a lack of threads about serious problems with the T130, I am presuming issues have been addressed in the past 3 years?

Does anyone have suggestions for other dashcams I may not have seen?

I contacted Viofo & the only negative seems the T130 will be going out of production soon, but they assured me support will continue indefinitely, just there may not be firmware updates.

Given the age of this thread, & a lack of threads about serious problems with the T130, I am presuming issues have been addressed in the past 3 years?

Does anyone have suggestions for other dashcams I may not have seen?

Vantrue is another option but the way they do their camera doesn't work for what you want and they are also expensive.

Another brand that I haven't personally used is Rexing.

This person might be able to throw some light on their products @Sam_Rexing

Cheers.

I came back to my car a few days back to find the front wing had been bumped. So, definitely time to invest in a dashcam. I've been doing some reading. (after the initial rush of WOW! Look at this cheap one! ;))

Hi! Thanks for reaching out! So, it sounds like you need 3-channles with the option to rotate the side camera to the position you need. That being said, I recommend the REXING V33. It has customizable viewing options, a built-in supercapacitor, and 24/hr parking mode! If you would to speak with a live customer care agent, please reach out using this contact info! Our team is more than happy to help you find exactly what you need.

Hi! Thanks for reaching out! So, it sounds like you need 3-channles with the option to rotate the side camera to the position you need. That being said, I recommend the REXING V33. It has customizable viewing options, a built-in supercapacitor, and 24/hr parking mode! If you would to speak with a live customer care agent, please reach out using this contact info! Our team is more than happy to help you find exactly what you need.
I tried contacting support to ask some questions but Order number is mandatory. le sigh...

These were the Q's:

1. Does the cabin cam swivel to cover driver window?
2. If so, will it cover driver window in Australia? (right hand drive)
3. Does it use voice command/error msgs?
4. Is it USB C power?
5. What comes in the box?
6. Is there a polarising lens available to help with Australian sun glare?

Appreciate any help you can give

I recommend the REXING V33. It has customizable viewing options, a built-in supercapacitor, and 24/hr parking mode! If you would to speak with a live customer care agent, please reach out using this contact info!
From the blurb about V33, there is this...
"With parking mode, the dash cam is on alert for motion even when your vehicle is turned off. When the camera detects movement, it will start to record and then turn off again to save energy"

That implies it might do basic parking monitor using the capacitor? Is that correct or does it need hardwire connection to perform this?

Is there an Australian Rexing site or contact?

@Journeyman another company Vantrue may have a dashcam that fits what your after. They have been hinting that some new model/s will be coming out this year... I assume sooner than later lol.
@Jeff_Vantrue Have you got anything the fits what Journeyman is looking for?
Thank.

@Journeyman another company Vantrue may have a dashcam that fits what your after. They have been hinting that some new model/s will be coming out this year... I assume sooner than later lol.
@Jeff_Vantrue Have you got anything the fits what Journeyman is looking for?
Thank.
It was the Vantrue N4 Pro that had me looking further - as a noob I was considering one of the azdome range on ebay & saw Vantrue in the list. Down the rabbit hole I went & realised I dodged a bullet as far as quality. But I can't afford the N4 Pro - it's around $550 in Australia.

Apart from the Rexing possible (questions for them above & emailed them) at present the Viofo T130 looks the goods & is pretty much at the limit of my money. Now if any of them did Afterpay... :D I don't have paypal so that '4 payments' option isn't available bu AP & Klarna are.

But glad I fouind this forum - browsing has been valuable info.

I like the Viofo 229 Pro but it doesn't swivel so there's that.
You can mount the interior camera on a swivel mount, there are plenty of options for mounting GoPro cameras, and some GoPro mount components are suitable for sticking the A229 interior camera onto using the normal sticky pad. The interior cameras are very lightweight, so a GoPro mount has no problem holding them securely.

From the blurb about V33, there is this...
"With parking mode, the dash cam is on alert for motion even when your vehicle is turned off. When the camera detects movement, it will start to record and then turn off again to save energy"

That implies it might do basic parking monitor using the capacitor? Is that correct or does it need hardwire connection to perform this?

Is there an Australian Rexing site or contact?
Hi! please send an email to this address care@rexingusa.com or call to speak with our care team (877) 740-8004 available Monday to Friday from 9am - 6pm EST.

Hi! please send an email to this address care@rexingusa.com or call to speak with our care team (877) 740-8004 available Monday to Friday from 9am - 6pm EST.
Thanks Sam, I got a reply this AM from them. I'll go check the V5 & V55.

In case it's useful for others, here is the info they gave.

The cabin camera doesn't swivel but moves up and down.
The camera doesn't have voice commands. The V5 and V55 are the only cameras with voice commands.
The V33 uses a mini usb cable for power.
The V33 doesn't have a polarising lens

Package Contents
  • Rexing V33 (front and cabin camera)
  • In-Car Power Cable (12ft)
  • 3M Adhesive Mount
  • USB Computer Cable
  • Cable management tool
  • Wire clips
  • User Manual
  • Warranty Card

You can mount the interior camera on a swivel mount, there are plenty of options for mounting GoPro cameras, and some GoPro mount components are suitable for sticking the A229 interior camera onto using the normal sticky pad. The interior cameras are very lightweight, so a GoPro mount has no problem holding them securely.
It's possible funds might increase to allow a more recent unit than the T130. That opens up the Viofo A229 Pro with int cam on a swivel as you suggest, or even maybe the Vantrue N5 4 ch.

I figure I could use an opaque sticker to block sunlight to the A229 down to the lens to reduce possible heat issues - I can mount it behind the mirror so only the main lens peeks below the black windscreen pattern & have the interior on a swivel phone mount or similar. I haven't looked but figure GoPro mounts would be costly - I can get a generic suction mount for about $10.

The N5 is appealing - the rear cam is 2-way so it's 4 ch & interior is covered from front & rear so all windows get coverage.

There's also the Vantrue N4 Pro - comes with a swivel mount for the front unit so if I needed driver window coverage I could just swivel it.

It's a bit annoying that neither Vantrue or Viofo Australian sources have the dashcams, but at least the US sites offer free postage.

I figure I could use an opaque sticker to block sunlight to the A229 down to the lens to reduce possible heat issues
That may absorb the sun's heat and warm the air around the camera!
I'm sure it is possible to improve things, but it is not as easy as it first seems.

I haven't looked but figure GoPro mounts would be costly - I can get a generic suction mount for about $10.
Some GoPro mounts are costly, but there are a lot of generic versions that are really cheap, and the cheap ones work fine, the camera is a lot lighter than a GoPro. I recommend using sticky mounts rather than suction mounts, you don't need to reattach them once a month or whatever it is!

Back