DashCam with detachable(?) screen?

stephenwithav

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there a dashcam available where the screen doesn't have to be attached directly to the camera?

Goal: to be able to see out of the front window from the back of my van.

(I'm paralyzed from the neck down and I sit too high in my wheelchair to be able to see anything, so I suck at giving directions. :))

Welcome to the forum -I think the Blackvue range of cameras such as the DR550, 650 and 750 let you watch footage over Wifi to an iOS or Android device so that might do what you're after?

The Transcend Drivepro 200 also says it can do this (and is cheaper) - I've got to admit I never tried it when I had mine though so can't confirm that.

Wifi is popping up in more of these devices now so is going to become more and more popular!

Is there a dashcam available where the screen doesn't have to be attached directly to the camera?

Goal: to be able to see out of the front window from the back of my van.

(I'm paralyzed from the neck down and I sit too high in my wheelchair to be able to see anything, so I suck at giving directions. :))

given your usage requirements you might want a regular dashcam up front that has AV output that can feed the signal to a decent size monitor mounted where you can easily see it, this function is very common

HI Stephen and welcome.

As jokiin say a AV out is pretty normal on most dashcameras with no schreen of ther own, that output can easy be connected to 1 LCD screen, or split up to more screens if need be.
My own lukas have this AV out too as its intended to line up the camera during install, but i have never used it and the wire for connecting to the AV out dont come with the camera, so its a extra one have to remember to buy if its wanted.

I even think some of the dashcams with a screen of ther own allso have a AV out plug as the low resoulution AV output is a feature on most chipsets in use ( correct me if i am worng )

I even think many of the new cameras have a HDMI output with a HD signal, if you go that way you can get a huge screen for the back and it would allmost be like driving your self, aside from the optical "mess" the use of a wide angle lens provide ( things appear to be further avay than they are )

The optimal setup for you must be a HD pan-tilt-zoom IP camera in the front window, and then the oculus VR goggles, then the camera would track your head movement, and i assume the zoom function could be made voice controlled.

BUT, the oculus goggles and a IP camera dont talk the same language / protocol to steer the camera, so some form of translation software could be needed.

But it could be so cool, and with zoom working you would have eagle eye view, and be able to see things further avay than your helper / driver ever would.
And if the camera where relocateable it could go on the roof for observation giving you 360 degree freedom on the view when parked.

With a kit like that you would even be a good lifeguard on the beach, aside from you not beeing able to go and save ppl yourself, but you would be able to keep your eyes on a large part of any beach.

Last edited:
Back