Date and time resets after a few days

Couldn’t hurt. I’ve seen it help with lots of other odd issues. Just be sure to manually default the cameras settings, then press and hold the hard reset button on the side of the camera for about 5 seconds After updating.

I’ll give it a go in the morning, think I’ll put it back on charge as well to give it a fair test.

I’ll give it a go in the morning, think I’ll put it back on charge as well to give it a fair test.

I believe it's like the size of hearing aid batteries this thing uses. Should be able to find those batteries no problems. Pop out battery, take it to the store with you, and find the comparable size.

I believe it's like the size of hearing aid batteries this thing uses. Should be able to find those batteries no problems. Pop out battery, take it to the store with you, and find the comparable size.
Battery is soldered in place. Battery also has leads soldered onto the positive and negative. It would be best if he could get a battery direct from Viofo, which will already have the leads soldered onto the battery.

Well not good news, after reapplying the firmware update, then resetting it to defaults, then charging the cam for 2 days with just motion detection enabled I went to check the car just now and it has reset back to 01/01 :(

As I said before the last proper dated recording is back in April after which it's continually reverted back to defaults every few days, In April the cam was only 1yr and 4 months old when the battery seems to have died. Also how does it manage recordings if the date keep resetting, will it overwrite recordings with the same date and how would it even be able to work out which is older?

@viofo @VIOFO-Support Any assistance or things I can possibly try would be appreciated but it does look like the battery has simply died within what I would regard as a short space of time? Would you be able to send me a replacement battery if I said pretty please :) ?

If you don't power up the cam fairly regularly them the battery will become completely flat.

A completely flat battery rarely recovers.

If you don't power up the cam fairly regularly them the battery will become completely flat.

A completely flat battery rarely recovers.

I get that, I tend to work from home so really only use the car over the weekends but with it lasting less than 2 days it is a problem that I need to fix as else there's a danger that it might be overwriting clips due to the date resetting.

Until you get a new battery in there you need to verify and if needed adjust the date-time every time you drive, as if the cam generates a new file with the same date-time of an old file it will probably not overwrite the old one. Alternately you can format the card when you begin each drive so that all files are new. This is how most dashcams work so probably the same here.

It's a foible of mass production- even the best battery makers have the occasional 'dud' cell which normal QC methods cannot catch. We can't afford hand-built 100% checked and tested batteries like they put in satellites so once in awhile this happens.

Phil

Until you get a new battery in there you need to verify and if needed adjust the date-time every time you drive, as if the cam generates a new file with the same date-time of an old file it will probably not overwrite the old one. Alternately you can format the card when you begin each drive so that all files are new. This is how most dashcams work so probably the same here.

It's a foible of mass production- even the best battery makers have the occasional 'dud' cell which normal QC methods cannot catch. We can't afford hand-built 100% checked and tested batteries like they put in satellites so once in awhile this happens.

Phil

I believe you mean it will overwrite the old one? Unless there are instructions within the software to not overwrite a file with the same name, create an alternatively named file, until card is full and loop record kicks in.

Cams write over older files only, so a file having the same date-time or newer will not get overwritten. I have two G1W/x cams sometimes losing time-date and doing this if I don't drive everyday but other cams cover those areas so for now it's easier to just leave them up as they usually work.

Some have called for using a numeric or alpha-numeric file naming system to avoid this. There could be some merit in that but it's not really necessary if the cam is functioning properly and I don't know if such a change could be easily done with the FW or if it would solve this problem as lost time memory would probably restart those from the beginning sequence too. Not too common to have an RTC battery fail before it's time to consider replacing the whole cam with something newer and better but it does happen.

Phil

The file names include the date and time to the second. I would think two identical file names would be unlikely.

The file names include the date and time to the second. I would think two identical file names would be unlikely.

Except if you don't set the camera's date and time at every startup, it'll revert back to the same date and time each and every restart. So then it would overwrite those files I imagine with the same date, time, and seconds.

Well not good news, after reapplying the firmware update, then resetting it to defaults, then charging the cam for 2 days with just motion detection enabled I went to check the car just now and it has reset back to 01/01 :(

As I said before the last proper dated recording is back in April after which it's continually reverted back to defaults every few days, In April the cam was only 1yr and 4 months old when the battery seems to have died. Also how does it manage recordings if the date keep resetting, will it overwrite recordings with the same date and how would it even be able to work out which is older?

@viofo @VIOFO-Support Any assistance or things I can possibly try would be appreciated but it does look like the battery has simply died within what I would regard as a short space of time? Would you be able to send me a replacement battery if I said pretty please :) ?
Hello,

We can send you one! I'll send you a private message later for your mailing information. please check it out!

If the date-time resets to it's original state, then there will be duplicity each time the cam starts and unless there's some variance happening all the following files will match too. That's the big problem here- it wouldn't be so bad if it were just one file gone awry .

Phil

@VIOFO-Support was kind enough to send me out some replacement batteries which arrived today, thanks very much for doing this.

I know I was surprised at how small the batteries looked in the pic that was previously posted but damn they are tiny. I’m going to get it changed over today and then charge it for 2 days and will report back, hopefully to say all good and problem fixed [emoji3]

Replaced the battery yesterday but in all the excitement I completely forgot to take pics along the way to detail the process, DOH!

I know I keep saying battery is tiny, just took this pic to emphasise the size of the battery next to a UK 5 and 10p coins.

60dcfbe6681331f910df087ddc9cc3e9.jpg

Back