Date and time resets after a few days

RTC batteries in Dashcams are very small, the BIOS battery on a computer motherboard are much bigger, and it can be snapped in / out of place for replacement, though i have never seen or heard of a need for that on a PC.

Having the camera reverting to some older that other footage on memory card date, are problematic for / with overwrite procedure
Dashcam maker moving the default date to a future one in stead, that is probably also going to mess things up
Having GPS and if it connect fast, at least you should just "loose" the very first file, then dashcam should have set correct time from GPS signal, but then your time zone might also have reset and you are on GMT time or what ever the default time zone are.

@kamkar Thats a very good point re GPS but I think it’s set to disabled when it resets so never sets the time from what I’ve seen.

The firmware should really enable GPS by default if it’s detected and here in the UK the V3 is only ever sold with a GPS unit as part of the overall package.

When ever I've changed firmware, GPS has been on by default (I think).

Last edited:
When ever I've changed firmware, GPS has been on by default (I think).

That’s most probably because the upgrade is maintains your settings, in my case the cam is resetting due to the battery and I’m sure with v1.3 GPS is disabled by default else there wouldn’t be an issue as once the cam has locked onto a GPS satellite in theory the time would be set, maybe not the correct time zone but at least the date would be correct.

Ah, another 1.03 fan :)

I've tried many variants, including a couple of Mods but I keep coming back to 1.03 for clarity and brightness.

I think 1.03 is a KISS version

Ah, another 1.03 fan :)

I've tried many variants, including a couple of Mods but I keep coming back to 1.03 for clarity and brightness.

I think 1.03 is a KISS version

I’ve always been tempted to upgrade but then think what I have just works so have never bothered.

Actually that is a lie, I did upgrade once, can’t remember which version but ran it for a day or 2 and went back and down graded.

My main reason for 1.03 is that I use freeze frame quite a lot.

1.03 had WDR, which I turn off, whereas all newer versions have HDR, which I was informed by a very reliable source can't be turned fully off.

HDR in the menu is off or on but in reality it's low or high so there will always be a very slight motion blur type effect.

I've performed freeze frame tests at 50mph with most versions and 1.03 is the one that produces the best still shot from the video.

My main reason for 1.03 is that I use freeze frame quite a lot.

1.03 had WDR, which I turn off, whereas all newer versions have HDR, which I was informed by a very reliable source can't be turned fully off.

HDR in the menu is off or on but in reality it's low or high so there will always be a very slight motion blur type effect.

I've performed freeze frame tests at 50mph with most versions and 1.03 is the one that produces the best still shot from the video.

As far as I am concerned no motion blur is the holy grail. The best a dashcam can be. If HDR is the cause of blurring I would disable it on all dashcams.

I noticed this HDR trend when I purchased my TV. All the forums wanted it to be upgraded to have HDR! I believe gamers do see a difference and perhaps some movies might look better but I don’t get why it is needed on a dashcam.

I found the v3 is pretty good during the day but disappointing with blurring at night. This is only an issue if I want to read signs. I have firmware 2 installed.

Having said that the Viofo A119 V3 is a fantastic dashcam.

This is only an issue if I want to read signs. I have firmware 2 installed.
With HDR at night, you can read the European sign standard at 50%, which is the best I've ever seen in code, no brand comes close. Respect Viofo! This is a great job.

Unfortunately I still can't see UK plates under HDR. Just a bright reflective blur.

One reason for this could be that VVS said the dashcam must be on the side of the windscreen closest to the oncoming traffic.

In the UK this is illegal as you must have nothing in the windscreen anywhere within the sweep of the drivers side windscreen wiper.

IT LIVES [emoji3]

Went to check this morning and the date and time have not been reset so the cam is now as good as new except for maybe my fingerprint inside when I took it apart [emoji2960]

Thanks to everyone here, my wife and my mum and especially @VIOFO-Support who helped me through these troubling times [emoji847]

Hi there,

Seen your posts re modded firmware, was wondering how easy it is to do this? I wanted to modify the existing a119 V3 1.03 firmware to change it so that GPS and the highest bitrate are set by default.

Currently, with a cam on that firmware, if the built battery that maintains the settings goes low due to non use of the car, the cam returns to defaults with GPS disabled and a lower bitrate. This means that clips start each time on the 1st Jan and start overwriting. If GPS was enabled then hopefully it would set the time and minimize clips being over written.

Regards
That is a common request from most VIOFO Dashcam owners including myself for many years. There are some settings my MODs can lock as Defaults but not all. The A119 V3 has slightly different coding making adjustments a challenge. The simplest solution would be for VIOFO to add the new feature allowing user profile data file creation which saves current settings to micro SD memory card and reloaded at each startup even after RTC battery fails. (remind me to find and post my DIY RTC battery replacement video)

VIOFO Dashcams currently save partial owner setting profiles but only for custom name/license text stamp in single text file to memory card = CarNo_Backup.txt

(FYI - this feature suggestion is important so moved from private conversation to public Forum)

@VIOFO-Support Any chance getting a battery for my A119S? I'm thinking it's a V1, since I've had it for 4-5 years or so. If I can't get one, can you at least tell me the battery number (example: CR2032).

Thanks.

@VIOFO-Support Any chance getting a battery for my A119S? I'm thinking it's a V1, since I've had it for 4-5 years or so. If I can't get one, can you at least tell me the battery number (example: CR2032).

Thanks.
Is that not it?:unsure:

Thanks.
:) The button battery model is MS621FE-FL11E, our after-sales colleague has replied to your tickets/111870, please kindly check it for a solution. Thanks and have a nice day.

Did replacing the button battery fix this problem? I bought an A119 V3 in June 2022. It has recently begun to show a similar problem. I noticed that it beeped when I first started the car, though I had set it to be silent. Then I found that the dates and time were also incorrect - the time zone had reverted to UTC. I reset everything and that held for a few weeks, but then it again began beeping upon startup and the time zone again reverted to UTC. Is the MS621FE battery available anywhere other than AliExpress?

Sorry for the late reply, its specification is ML621-TZ1, With pin pad, voltage 3V, diameter 7MM, height 2MM.
Come to us directly if you need further help.

Is that not it?:unsure:

Sorry for the late reply, its specification is ML621-TZ1, With pin pad, voltage 3V, diameter 7MM, height 2MM.
Come to us directly if you need further help.
Thank you. I am working with support after submitting a ticket. A firmware upgrade plus reformatting the micro- SD card is working for now, but since the problem was intermittent I'll wait a couple of weeks before saying that it is corrected. I suspect the problem may be limited to one card out of the three I have been using. If the camera continues to behave then I will switch back to the suspect card and see if the problem reappears.

Back