Deciding on a camera

itprotj

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys

I am interested in purchasing a dash camera with the following specifications:

At least 720p video
GPS Functionality (Would prefer internal but can live with external antenna).
Continuously loop recording
Auto record on Power on
Ability to use up to 32gb SD card
Works great in Daytime (Can see number plates OK)
Works okay in Nighttime (Can at least see number plates if near car, Quality half decent)
Sticks to the windshield with adhesive rather then a windshield mount.

Have been having a look a round and looked at the many cameras Dashcam has reviewed. I find myself a bit picky with the looks and designs of a lot of them as my car is quite small and alot of cameras will look very visible from the outside.
So far I have found:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121115531031?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649]
Has anyone had any kind of experience with this one? I can't find any model listed for this camera and it does not have any demo videos.

Appreciate any help with this.

Thanks!

Not a great choice as far as video quality and reliability are concerned, but it is a nice small form factor for sure.
I'd wait for the Mobius to come out and see how the initial reports on that go, it will not have GPS but the form factor will work in the smallest of cars.

itprotj said:
Have been having a look a round and looked at the many cameras Dashcam has reviewed. I find myself a bit picky with the looks and designs of a lot of them as my car is quite small and alot of cameras will look very visible from the outside.
So far I have found:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121115531031?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649]
Has anyone had any kind of experience with this one? I can't find any model listed for this camera and it does not have any demo videos.

That camera is also known as a i1000 / F70 / X6 720P Dual Lens DVR Dash Camera. There is a thread about it here in the Multichannel Dash Cam section. It can also be had for 50-60 USD, without the GPS though.

Gurkha9 said:
Not a great choice as far as video quality and reliability are concerned, but it is a nice small form factor for sure.
I'd wait for the Mobius to come out and see how the initial reports on that go, it will not have GPS but the form factor will work in the smallest of cars.
Did a quick search for Mobius, looks like a very small camera (thumbs up) websites are only talking about it being an action camera though, reckon it would officially make it to the dashcam scene though?

jokiin said:
this model is worth a look viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001
Hmm if I understand that thread correctly it seems that the particular camera is a chinese version of the Procam CX4 (Only available in Russia).
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smallest ... 01063.html
I have seen video reviews of the CX4 in action on Youtube and quite like the way it performs but whether this chinese version operates the same I wouldn't have the slightest clue. Would be interested to get more information on the chinese version if anyone owns one or has some links of any demos?

Gurkha9 said:
That camera is also known as a i1000 / F70 / X6 720P Dual Lens DVR Dash Camera. There is a thread about it here in the Multichannel Dash Cam section. It can also be had for 50-60 USD, without the GPS though.

Ahh thanks for that, Youtubed some demos and the video quality seems appalling as you said. Disappointing as this is a great form factor!

Last edited by a moderator:
itprotj said:
Hmm if I understand that thread correctly it seems that the particular camera is a chinese version of the Procam CX4 (Only available in Russia).

the Procam is the Chinese version sold in Russia

jokiin said:
itprotj said:

Not sure if I understand you right,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgK-uJjVSZM - That is the Procam CX4 - Looks like great video quality in both day and night time.
Is the camera from the aliexpress link in my last post the same?

And it seems to have GPS Coordinates up the top left but no GPS Speed! Wonder if this can be turned on a configuration option....

Thanks for all your help so far.

itprotj said:
jokiin said:
itprotj said:

Not sure if I understand you right,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgK-uJjVSZM - That is the Procam CX4 - Looks like great video quality in both day and night time.
Is the camera from the aliexpress link in my last post the same?

And it seems to have GPS Coordinates up the top left but no GPS Speed! Wonder if this can be turned on a configuration option....

Thanks for all your help so far.

Aliexpress link looks like same spec as the first version of the Procam, they (Procam) have updated since and the night quality is now better, they changed to a different CMOS sensor

There is only one manufacturer of this model but they sell the mainboard and housing to two other factories, for any of the 3 sources though the specification will vary depending on what the customer asks for, the basics are the same, but for the memory, CMOS, lens and GPS there are a number of options, embedded speed is supported by the hardware but it depends on firmware if this option is available or not, the default factory firmware does not have this option

jokiin said:
Aliexpress link looks like same spec as the first version of the Procam, they (Procam) have updated since and the night quality is now better, they changed to a different CMOS sensor

There is only one manufacturer of this model but they sell the mainboard and housing to two other factories, for any of the 3 sources though the specification will vary depending on what the customer asks for, the basics are the same, but for the memory, CMOS, lens and GPS there are a number of options, embedded speed is supported by the hardware but it depends on firmware if this option is available or not, the default factory firmware does not have this option

Very informative thank you, So to say if I wanted to go ahead and obtain one of these cameras how would I exactly go about it? I can only assume I am not searching the correct terms as I cannot locate this camera with the newer CMOS sensor on the search engines I've tried thus far.

Thanks.

itprotj said:
jokiin said:

Very informative thank you, So to say if I wanted to go ahead and obtain one of these cameras how would I exactly go about it? I can only assume I am not searching the correct terms as I cannot locate this camera with the newer CMOS sensor on the search engines I've tried thus far.

Thanks.

they've only recently updated this one to support the OV2710 sensor so maybe a bit early to find too many places that have it with this sensor (look for a 2MP CMOS in the spec rather than 5MP), I'm sure you'll start to see more of them reasonably soon

itprotj said:
Did a quick search for Mobius, looks like a very small camera (thumbs up) websites are only talking about it being an action camera though, reckon it would officially make it to the dashcam scene though?

It will be marketed as an action cam, however It is supposed to have auto start and stop, cycled recording and clip length choices so in my mind it qualifies as a dash cam.

jokiin said:
they've only recently updated this one to support the OV2710 sensor so maybe a bit early to find too many places that have it with this sensor (look for a 2MP CMOS in the spec rather than 5MP), I'm sure you'll start to see more of them reasonably soon

Ah no worries, I'll continue looking. I did however notice this camera while I was on aliexpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi ... 11259.html
If the screenshots are accurate and feedback isn't false this could be a pretty good camera.
Camera Model: F209 doesn't find anything on this forum either.

Gurkha9 said:
itprotj said:

It will be marketed as an action cam, however It is supposed to have auto start and stop, cycled recording and clip length choices so in my mind it qualifies as a dash cam.
Noted, Will keep an eye on that one. Thanks!

itprotj said:
Ah no worries, I'll continue looking. I did however notice this camera while I was on aliexpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi ... 11259.html
If the screenshots are accurate and feedback isn't false this could be a pretty good camera.
Camera Model: F209 doesn't find anything on this forum either.

Sure there is, look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=297&p=2162&hilit=Allwinner+F20#p2162
Your link points to the same processor (Allwinner F20) same as the F70/X6/i1000 etc just in another body. I would not expect much from this camera. Goes by the name of MX3/F90G. Your F209 appears to be just another model number based on the same internals.

If you really want a dual camera setup now, go with a Korean camera. As others have said, the current Chinese dual cams leave a lot to be desired. This might change towards the end of the year as new solutions based on new processors begin to emerge.
At this point you'd be better off with 2 separate cameras I think.

the Ambarella 7 Plataform bring on a whole new world for Dual Cameras
on Specs you can see it can stream a dual 1080P 30fps channel , i hope in 15k bltrate :mrgreen:

Back