Differences between SG9665GC V2 and V3

V3 comes with the updated SGGPSWM short cable "pre-flipped" Window Mount edition GPS. Installation is much easier.

IMG_0152.JPG

Are there any differences in lens quality? Side-by-side video comparison?

New lens should be better, but i dont think its to a degree it will jump right out at you.
Suppose V2 Vs V3 will be out shortly as the cameras get out there to people.

Sadly, I am returning SGZC12SG because of the noticeable "wave effect" on the video itself. Not a big deal during the day. But, definitely noticeable at night, which seems to only exacerbate the issue with LP clarity. It was like there was a plastic protective cover over the lens. I was disappointed in the 12SG. Day time video was great. But, night video was less than impressive. In fact, my old dashcam (no longer in production) had much better night time clarity and I could read most LP's. But, with the 12SG, I cannot make out most plates, except for those close in front. Absolutely nothing on the side. And, no, I do not have HID headlamps and I do understand that this is a common problem with almost all dashcams. It just comes down to which product has less of a problem with LP clarity at night.

This said, however, I have seen my friends 9665GC and the clarity was so much better than the 12SG. Most likely the difference is with wide vs more narrow lens. So, my question is this..., is the clarity better at "night" on the 9665GC V3, when compared to the V2?

In Kuwait, a very significant number of drivers have the driving skills of a 12 year old on a country road and the entitlement attitude of an high-nosed elitist. Thus, Kuwait has a VERY high number of accidents, along with a high number of hit and runs. Many think nothing of driving in the emergency lanes to pass by, kicking up rocks and cracking your winshield, to forcing a person out their lane or even splitting a lane between cars to pass by. There is NO active traffic law enforcement out here. Even if it happens in front of them and many times, the police are just as bad when it comes to driving skills. So, yes, being able to read plate numbers at night is a REALLY big deal for us out here.

Havent visited for a while and this thread jumped out at me. Was the lighting issues sorted with the v2, and if not, does v3 use different hardware to alleviate it?

I may have injected confusion, by suggesting that there was an issue with the 9665GC "V2" LP clarity when driving at night. I was referring to clarity issues with the 12SG V2 and the "wave effect" making it worse. I was just stating that I saw my friends 9665GC V2 and the night video clarity was much better than the 12SG V2. So, if the lens on the 9665GC "V3" is better, is the clarity better than the 9665 "V2"? In other words, why would I buy the "V3", if the video at night (namely reading LP's) is not any better than the "V2"?

the filter has been made to work with a number of different lenses across a few different camera models that we will be releasing, have also shared this with @viofo for use on some of their models, working together with them has helped to increase our volume which in turn helps us to be able to reduce the price

(...) and like cooperation with viofo :cool:
How many "rival" dashcam manufacturers do that in today's businesses' "shark tank"? :cool:

Havent visited for a while and this thread jumped out at me. Was the lighting issues sorted with the v2, and if not, does v3 use different hardware to alleviate it?
If you mean exposure issues then not much has changed. I've been watching the beta firmware thread and I don't see much progress.
The camera should adjust exposure for small parts of the screen independently but the current chip doesn't have enough horsepower. I think for challenging light situations you will just have to "live with it."

I may have injected confusion, by suggesting that there was an issue with the 9665GC "V2" LP clarity when driving at night. I was referring to clarity issues with the 12SG V2 and the "wave effect" making it worse. I was just stating that I saw my friends 9665GC V2 and the night video clarity was much better than the 12SG V2. So, if the lens on the 9665GC "V3" is better, is the clarity better than the 9665 "V2"? In other words, why would I buy the "V3", if the video at night (namely reading LP's) is not any better than the "V2"?

SG9665GC V2 or SG9665V3 both have better night video than the SGZC12SG

Got it today, hopefully can install it tomorrow. Amazon said it was out of stock until today, so faster than the expectation.

Got it today, hopefully can install it tomorrow. Amazon said it was out of stock until today, so faster than the expectation.

We like to under promise and over deliver with the uncertainty of unplanned freight/shipping delays during the holidays. ;)

Last edited:
Be carefull what you hope for.

My friend just got this on the SJ4000 he ordered in the UK.

Dear jan,

We are writing to inform you that your GSP order is currently under review for potential prohibited items and may experience a delay of 3-5 business days.

When i first ordered my LK-7500 dashcam from Ebay it got intercepted and the deal was canceled due to ebay saying it is illegal to import cameras to Denmark.
So i mailed ebay telling them WTF, and Denmark is not yet North Korea fawked up and it is legal to import a camera here.
And so i shopped in the B&M store of Spytec in NYC and got my dashcam shortly after.

Freak me why someone would thing a digital camera is potential prohibited items here in the worlds most happy country. :rolleyes:

This has the window mounted short version of the GPS right? It didnt have the tag that said window mounted, but it looks like the shorter version.

SG9665GC V2 or SG9665V3 both have better night video than the SGZC12SG

Yep, got that when I saw that the 9665GC V2 was better than the 12SG. Question is..., is the night time clarity of LP's better on the 9665GC V3, when compared to the 9665GC V2? What are the real improvements or enhancements to the camera itself?

Yep, got that when I saw that the 9665GC V2 was better than the 12SG. Question is..., is the night time clarity of LP's better on the 9665GC V3, when compared to the 9665GC V2? What are the real improvements or enhancements to the camera itself?

not easy to give a definitive answer unless you look at lots of side by side video between the two and compare, there will be some situations when one might look better than the other, that goes for any cameras really, we do find that the edge to edge focus is a bit sharper on the V3 lens though

If you mean exposure issues then not much has changed. I've been watching the beta firmware thread and I don't see much progress.
The camera should adjust exposure for small parts of the screen independently but the current chip doesn't have enough horsepower. I think for challenging light situations you will just have to "live with it."

Yeah, that's what I meant. So why release a new version if its basically the same thing (I see the lens is newer, but what's the benefit of that if the chipset is still holding it back?).

Why release the same old product if you can make it a little better at the same cost, i think its the same approach the "fruit company" use with their phones.

The Chipset and sensor in the GC i assume is pretty base line by now, not entry level off course, so its still a product that have its merits.
Newer and arguably better products will still be dealing with the same problems and suffer the same drawbacks, sadly there is no quantum leaps in the pipeline for dashcams.

I think if you can make things better, even just a little, then you should do that, otherwise you will just end up with products that work like the Danish society thats not really going anywhere.

Back