Difficult market for 2 channel...

agtjamesb007

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in the US and lots of cameras that somewhat fit my criteria are not sold here. I was looking for a 2 channel camera, but there is an issue with everyone one of them it seems. Either it cant Handle the extreme hot and cold of where I live, it wont have parking mode, or a screen etc. I know some compromise has to be made however.

That got me wondering if two single channel cameras would serve a better purpose than one dual channel.

I think my big problem is that I dont have a smart phone and dont want wifi, nor gps, especially if it saves money. If a display is not needed other than initial setup then I can probably get by without a screen. I saw the Garmin Dash Cam 20 in a car and liked the size of it. The screen dims so it is not a distraction. There is an easily accessible button to save footage. I was thinking something like that only a little cheaper with no gps, and maybe get something small without a screen for the rear like a mobius if I am doing 2 single channels.

Anybody go this route instead of a dual channel?

The performance of the Garmin is not in line with its price. It's way too expensive for what you get. I would recommend going 2 single channel cameras versus the dual cams at the moment, from my experience it's more reliable as each camera is processing video independently that way if one cam fails or gets trashed in an accident you have the footage from the second. Plus the processors, especially in the budget range dual cams, can't handle 2x 1080p channels so you usually end up with lower res/quality as a trade off. Get two separate cameras, in my opinion.

There are quite few 2ch + LCD + parking mode + supercaps. What is your budget ?

Since he write "I was thinking something like that only a little cheaper with no gps" i assume he don't want to spend too much.

And in that case it get problematic to recommend something i think, cuz there is no full featured cheap dual channel dashcam out there, at least not to my knowledge.

As far as a budget is concerned, I would probably look to spend $300 give or take at most. Its usually features included with the higher price models like gps or wifi that I dont want, yet am paying for.

Some with lcd screens I have come across make them obnoxiously large. I really just need it to aim or glance at footage everynow and again and adjust settings. It doesnt need to be an HDTV in my car.

The performance of the Garmin is not in line with its price. It's way too expensive for what you get. I would recommend going 2 single channel cameras versus the dual cams at the moment, from my experience it's more reliable as each camera is processing video independently that way if one cam fails or gets trashed in an accident you have the footage from the second. Plus the processors, especially in the budget range dual cams, can't handle 2x 1080p channels so you usually end up with lower res/quality as a trade off. Get two separate cameras, in my opinion.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking after I posted that. How would parking mode work with 2 cameras. I would need 2 of the power magic pro type devices? Parking mode is important to me because half of the damage to my car happened while my car was in the lot and I was at work.

No normally the rear camera is sort of a slave to the front camera that's often referred to ( at least by me ) as the main unit.
So the rear camera is powered by the main unit via whats most often a USB wire, but this do not mean the rear camera is just a glorified web camera.
The rear cameras might have the power wires just like the pinout on a USB standard wire, but the rear camera use a transmit chip set to send the signal to a receive chip set in the main unit, so the rest is not standard for USB wires.

So you will only need one BDP.

Most important in regard to parking guard is to make sure the camera support prebuffered event recordings, this mean you will get some seconds before the trigger event on the recording too.

Good to know. I apologies as I did not clarify my last question very well. I am wondering if I had 2, single channel camera's in the car with parking mode, would I need 2 bdp's?

Also, I think I have only seen one or two so far, but I look-forward to cameras that are small, mound on the dash or window, and then are wired into the main unit or screen that can be hidden or put someplace else other that wherever the camera is mounted. Such as in the dashboard, etc.

Good to know. I apologies as I did not clarify my last question very well. I am wondering if I had 2, single channel camera's in the car with parking mode, would I need 2 bdp's?

depends on the cameras and BDP device, some will run more than one camera, some won't

Back