Discrete, hot climate cam with CPL and at least 2.5k images

NevD

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I welcome user recommendations on a discrete dash cam for warm climates. It must have a super capacitor, high res images, CPL, GPS and ideally a tripod mount and provision for a Lithium battery and waterproof case for action cam use.

A JooVuu X was purchased 4 months ago as it appeared to meet my specs (waterproof case now appears to be no longer planned) but was not able to get it working reliably because of quality issues, poor documentation, unanswered emails and support tickets.

Recommendations and links to reports would be really appreciated.

As a regular user of action camera, I don't recommend using the same camera for action cam and dashcam. You will be swapping out battery/capacitor all the time and changing settings. For dashcams, you want something you can set and forget. Removing and replacing even once a week could result in loss of footage when you need it most - maybe a cable loose, or you forgot to set it to auto record when power is received, etc.

For action cams, I'm very happy with my Yi 4K. Nothing beats it for the price, and it even beats out some cameras that are $50-$100 more. The extra features of the Hero 5 are not worth $150 IMO. For less money, the Mobius is also a good choice. I don't recommend it as a dashcam however, you really want to spend at least $100 on a dashcam. Think of it this way, even if you spend $200 on a dashcam that's still way less than your insurance deductible.

Never heard of Joovuu, maybe someone else here can help you with that.

Thanks for your comments. I had also considered the Yi 4K as an action cam, but there was some attraction to having the same software and learning curve for both camera applications even if 2 similar cams were involved. Action cam would only be a secondary use, so one which can also be used both as a dash and action cam would be attractive to me. Do you therefore (or others) have a dashcam recommendation?

Many of us use the original Mobius as a dashcam with great results. It must be remembered that it has an older processor and CMOS so there are now cams with better performance available. But if it's images are good enough for you, Mobius remains one of the most discreet and most reliable cams you can buy for dashcam use, especially with caps in hotter climates.

Phil

Back