Do you leave the dashcam in your car or take it with you when you are home or at work?

bossyman15

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
Will repeat install and removing of dashcam loosen up the mount?
How easy is it to remove and install the dashcam if it was placed behind the rear mirror?

Thanks for any answer.

How easy is it to remove and install the dashcam if it was placed behind the rear mirror?
very easy - 2 seconds

SG9665GC-Mount-4.jpg

SG9665GC-Mount-5.jpg

SG9665GC-Mount-6.jpg

Anyone who can be so obsessive-compulsive to remove and reinstall their dashcam every time they get in and out of their cars, I "admire" their discipline.
For me, a dashcam is a set-and-forget device. If I am to remove and reinstall every time I get in and out of my car, I will be sick of doing it after a couple of go and won't bother using my dashcam again.

I have several dashcams on the windshield and leave them there 24/7 and lock the doors. I haven't heard of any cars being broken into to steal the dashcam. I think that stealing the dashcam is collateral theft and not the principle target. And unless it's a big honking thing, they are not that noticeable.

I know in areas where the crime rate is higher there are thieves that will break a window just to take loose change from the console if it's in sight, that kind of theft usually happens because they all look down, I don't know that they actually look up, case in point plenty of cars have been stolen and the thieves haven't even noticed there's a camera in the car and their whole trip gets recorded, I think regardless a more discreet camera and installation is still the preference, that's why our product is all black, no bling, no useless lights etc

alexsoll thanks for the video! That was very helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine stays in the car 24/7.
yep, if its installed properly and not in the centre of the window blocking your view of the road(making it easy to see for thieves) theres no reason to take it off ever.

I think it would take thousands of removals before you'd notice some wear in the plastic.

I think it would take thousands of removals before you'd notice some wear in the plastic.
But it will only take half a dozen of removals before you'd notice complete wear in your patience :p

But it will only take half a dozen of removals before you'd notice complete wear in your patience :p
with me not even that. if I had to take it off every day it wouldn't even be there on the second day. too annoying.

My dashcams run 24/7 whether driving or not.

In my previous setup, I had a 3 port USB hub tucked away in the passenger side which allowed me to switch off individual cameras. After a few months, that became an eye sore so I rerouted all the cables and the hub to be a bit more discreet. I now have 2 dashcam battery packs hardwired to the fuse box - the Anypower T Power Plus Alpha and the Cellink B - which allow me to run my 3 cameras 24/7. My daily driving has been sufficient to keep these batteries nicely charged up. My setup now is completely 'set and forget' and I wouldn't have it any other way :)

I drive down to Seattle, WA to visit my brother quite often. I'll unplug the camera when I'm down there, only because my license plate gives it away that I'm from out of town. Old wives tales say that tourists' cars get broken into more often. Probably not true, but meh I make sure there's nothing valuable in sight inside my car. I take it down from the mount, toss it in the bag it came with, and into the glove box it goes.

Otherwise, I leave the dashcam as is when I'm parked anywhere in my home town. People leave their GPS units, loose change, even their iPods (guessing iPod -> AUX) lying in plain sight in their cars. Pretty sure thieves will go after those easy targets before they hunt around for a somewhat hidden camera (which they probably don't even know what it is).

Not easy to remove as i have it mounted so high on my windscreen, and i have changed to a little larger USB plug it seem so getting camera in and out is allmost impossible now.

And thats okay i have all 3 of my dashcams in my car all the time, and i wouldent have it any other way.

Just like kamkar, I can't remove it (well, short of taking the adhesive off) for this I should have had angled connectors.
So it stays there, mostly "hidden" behind the dotted area..
But when on a trip I remove the card daily to copy, and removing/inserting right up behind the mirror is a Royal pain in it..
The back cam right in the middle of the hatch window is much more noticeable. Maybe it could work as a distraction for the much dearer SG.

Back