DOD LS300W DVR

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 810
Last edited by a moderator:
I sent some sample images from the videos to DOD Tech support. I am not sure others are experiencing this issue. If so please let me know how to solve it. The first 5-10 minutes on 1080p are sharpest and then after 10 minutes the objects at a distance start to appear blurred. Focus seems to be out of place. Could this be because of WDR ? I am going to try with WDR turned off during the day and see if it improves the video. This is the only issue I have with this camera at this time.

Anyone else with LS300W have this issue ?

airbender said:
I sent some sample images from the videos to DOD Tech support. I am not sure others are experiencing this issue. If so please let me know how to solve it. The first 5-10 minutes on 1080p are sharpest and then after 10 minutes the objects at a distance start to appear blurred. Focus seems to be out of place. Could this be because of WDR ? I am going to try with WDR turned off during the day and see if it improves the video. This is the only issue I have with this camera at this time.

Anyone else with LS300W have this issue ?

I did not get this issue.
I dont think its a WDR issue. WDR is only enhancing / filtering background noise.
In the past using cheap Chinese DVR-s with non-glass lens I have experienced this issue in some cases when unit ( or lenses ) started getting warm from weather ( direct sun ) or from unit itself and thats where picture started blurring. With 6G glass lens this issue should no be happening.
Try testing at night, where there is no direct sunlight and do not turn heater up, use normal heating mode or even try with AC On to get cold to the wind-shield. This way you know if problem caused from overheating of the lens or its other issue.

My experience is not writing to DOD, if you did not buy from authorised dealer, then they are not helpful. They will ask you to get help from the authorised dealer you bought das cam from.
Best way is to try to e-mail to vendor you bought from or to TioTech ( manufacturer ).

Thanks niko. I bought it from DOD Tech Canada directy and their support is quite helpful. They acknowledged my support request and said they are looking into it.

The weather was warm but not really hot. The unit only gets mildly warm. Nothing compared to the high heat I have seen on other units such as the GS8000. I am going to try a few things:

1. Having the AC and set to a low temperature.

2. Trying with and without the WDR.

3. Positioning the unit slightly up so the interior of the car is only slightly visible. May be it is autofocusing more on the interior of the car. However the first 5 minutes or so the focus is very good outside. This starts happening after say about 15 minutes or so of driving.

This does not happen in 720p mode though.

Maulhofer said:
If the GT300W the same cam as the LS300W, why then is this so much cheaper than the other? Only the company logo alone can not be the reason. They might have different processor?
DOD sell their product at very high price and the quality is trustable.
I checked the DOD LS300W firmware, the firmware updated. The new firmware version is not LS300W130328.
They haven't upload the new firmware to the website at present.

The blurry lens issue after 10 minutes or so is usually due to one of two reasons. The first reason is due to a cheap plastic lens which doesn't appear to be the case here. The other reason is due a cheap plastic lens holder. Even with a good glass lens, sometimes the lens holder will expand due to heat. The lens moves slightly and the video becomes blurry. There may be other causes but based on other cameras, these are the main culprits.

Thanks DashCamMan. Lens holder expanding in heat makes sense. That is probably the only reason it may go out of focus. May be the distance between the sensor and the lens increases and given this is a pretty fast lens that may have caused this. Today I also adjusted the unit slightly upwards so interior only appears as a curve at the bottom. However it was cloudy today and hence I cannot confirm if the issue got fixed. I will wait for a sunny day. I have a Class 6 TF card. Not sure if that is not fas enough or could be an issue.

BTW there is no way to turn off WDR. The Menu has an On option only and it is turned on and cannot be turned off. I will see what DOD has to say.

I am thinking of buying a GT300W just as a backup. Does anyone know if the USB cable works for both so I don't have to rewire the unit if I install a GT300W in the same holder ?

airbender said:
Thanks DashCamMan. Lens holder expanding in heat makes sense. That is probably the only reason it may go out of focus. May be the distance between the sensor and the lens increases and given this is a pretty fast lens that may have caused this. Today I also adjusted the unit slightly upwards so interior only appears as a curve at the bottom. However it was cloudy today and hence I cannot confirm if the issue got fixed. I will wait for a sunny day. I have a Class 6 TF card. Not sure if that is not fas enough or could be an issue.

BTW there is no way to turn off WDR. The Menu has an On option only and it is turned on and cannot be turned off. I will see what DOD has to say.

I am thinking of buying a GT300W just as a backup. Does anyone know if the USB cable works for both so I don't have to rewire the unit if I install a GT300W in the same holder ?

I also assume same as DashCamMan, - lens holder expanding when get hot, however here in Ireland we do not get that much hot weather to get warm enough to cause this problem.
Other thing is try to open case and check gently if you can turn lenses holder or if they ( thread ) firmly glued. Before doing this make marking on the thread, just in case not to get lens out of focus, so later you can adjust to the same right place.
If you can freely turn lenses holder inside thread, then in factory they did not apply enough glue when making lens focusing on the test bench. Use plastic glue heat gun ( I dont know how exactly its called in english, but hope you know what I mean, it uses plastic sticks to melt ). Do not use any super-glue, only that plastic heat gun sticks, because if you by mistake making wrong focus, then you still can re-melt that plastic and re-adjust focus. If using super-glue, - then it is much harder to do fixings later on.

About mini USB port, - you can use it on GT300W as well and most other mini usb cables will also work. I have tested LS300W mini usb port with 4-5 other different mini usb cables, - they all worked: starting up recording and charging, so main pins are the same inside mini usb.

About WDR constantly ON, - I have same thing: it is not possible to turn it OFF, however recently got few other LS300W copies with same menu interface, - they all had WDR ON and OFF, one of those copies had instead WDR ( HDR, = high dynamic range ), but the menu interface was same as original LS300W , except they did not record "LS300W" in front of date at the bottom right corner of the screen.

I have not tried yet new firmware update DOD has published recently and dont know if that update has WDR ON / OFF feature, et least they ( DOD ) do not advertise this upgrade feature, but who know ?! Maybe they want to surprise us ? If you dont try, - you dont know :)

niko said:
DOD is not a manufacturer.
TioTech is manufacturer for DOD and many other so called "brands". LS300W- serieal is DOD brand. GT300W is neoutral TioTech factory un-branded. Inside and outside they are 100% same, except DOD ordering they logo and serieal / model nubmer printings.
With a minimum order of 100 units TioTech ( and most other manufacturers in China ) they can print "brand name" lets say "Maulhofer" or "niko" ... Thats how business runs "there".

Thanks Niko, that was really well explained ;)

Before I buy a LS300W or GT300W, I need to know whether the number plate can be read properly, and if there is a software with which you can zoom?

Edit: now have I seen your videos and I'm very surprised. The Number Plates can also be seen clearly.

billknow said:
Maulhofer said:
If the GT300W the same cam as the LS300W, why then is this so much cheaper than the other? Only the company logo alone can not be the reason. They might have different processor?
DOD sell their product at very high price and the quality is trustable.
I checked the DOD LS300W firmware, the firmware updated. The new firmware version is not LS300W130328.
They haven't upload the new firmware to the website at present.

About firmware issue ( uploaded or not by DOD into they website ) please read my post few steps up ;)

Maulhofer said:
niko said:
DOD is not a manufacturer.
TioTech is manufacturer for DOD and many other so called "brands". LS300W- serieal is DOD brand. GT300W is neoutral TioTech factory un-branded. Inside and outside they are 100% same, except DOD ordering they logo and serieal / model nubmer printings.
With a minimum order of 100 units TioTech ( and most other manufacturers in China ) they can print "brand name" lets say "Maulhofer" or "niko" ... Thats how business runs "there".

Thanks Niko, that was really well explained ;)

Before I buy a LS300W or GT300W, I need to know whether the number plate can be read properly, and if there is a software with which you can zoom?

Edit: now have I seen your videos and I'm very surprised. The Number Plates can also be seen clearly.

Very good software made by Russians with many options ( incl. zoom ).
You can find it here:
http://registratorviewer.narod.ru/

Just ordered one of these!

Feitelijk said:
Just ordered one of these!

Great! Is it LS300W or GT300W?
If its not a secret, can you share direct link of website you ordered from.

niko said:
You are welcome Maulhofer.

About cars numberplate readings ( reflection ) at night I wanted to start new tread, but I was not sure if it was discussed here yet or not ? If not, then I can write what experience and knowledge I have. If DashCamMan wants, - he can push my replay into new tread ( open new topic ) where we can discuss this very important issue and each member can share his own experience / knowledge.

Niko perfect, really wonderful explains! Many Thanks for this info which helps me a lot!
I'm from Germany and here is not to buy this cam. I have to be sure that this is a really good cam. If the cam is not good or maybe broken, it takes two days in Germany until it is back at the dealer. But from Germany to China, it unfortunately takes a few weeks and it is very expensive.

I have a question please still. I need the cam for my truck there and the window goes straight down. Can I install the cam vertically, bend about 90 degrees?

Maulhofer said:
niko said:

About cars numberplate readings ( reflection ) at night I wanted to start new tread, but I was not sure if it was discussed here yet or not ? If not, then I can write what experience and knowledge I have. If DashCamMan wants, - he can push my replay into new tread ( open new topic ) where we can discuss this very important issue and each member can share his own experience / knowledge.

Niko perfect, really wonderful explains! Many Thanks for this info which helps me a lot!
I'm from Germany and here is not to buy this cam. I have to be sure that this is a really good cam. If the cam is not good or maybe broken, it takes two days in Germany until it is back at the dealer. But from Germany to China, it unfortunately takes a few weeks and it is very expensive.

I have a question please still. I need the cam for my truck there and the window goes straight down. Can I install the cam vertically, bend about 90 degrees?

You are welcome.
Yes, I know what you mean. Your windshield is almost 90 degree straight towards the road.
I took pictures of bracket angle it can be adjusted in all axis:

I would say it nearly 90degree, maybe few degrees before full 90degree, but if this will be an issue, - you can file down small plastic part on the ball-joint to get that extra few degrees.

Attachments

• SANY0066.JPG
    SANY0066.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 242
  • SANY0067.JPG
    SANY0067.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 241
  • SANY0068.JPG
    SANY0068.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 242
  • SANY0069.JPG
    SANY0069.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 241
Maulhofer said:
niko said:

Regarding where to buy and how much to pay, there is a simple explanation which involves simple calculations:
DOD has officially on they website only few dealers in EU:

http://www.dod-tec.com/contact.php

Dont know why they do not advertise UK official dealer, but they have website:

http://dod-tech.co.uk/

Of course prices are sky-high:

http://dod-tech.co.uk/ls300w.html

159GBP + 10GBP EU shipping, total = 169GBP which is about 255 usd :

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/con ... GBP&To=USD

and this total is about 100 usd more than you pay ordering from China.

I would not say dealers price is rip-off. Wise person understand that they all import officially, pay full DUTY and VAT tax, pay for local engineers ( repair ), premises rent, security, cleaners ? ... etc, so at the end of the day price is justified. But buying from local ( EU ) dealer you are getting full manufacturer warranty and support. Hope you know what I am trying to say. Most reputable DOD and GT dash cams that I know are Saddle and FoxOffer. They can organize delivery to your door ( Germany ) within 3 working days via DHL. Of course there are many other chinese resellers whos price maybe 5-10 usd cheaper, but for peace of mind I am always agree to pay a little bit more.

About price per quality I can say from my experience that DOD brand ( by TioTech ) is the most reliable and stable brand from all Chinese manufactured dash cams. Of course all manufactures may have some faults, even high end products, but if we take price vs quality, history shows that original TioTech ( DOD ) products are stable.

If money is not an option and form factor is not priority ( to be hidden ), then from people who I know ( your colleagues truckdrivers ), they use so called "Taiwanese style" dash cams. My TOP Taiwanese dash cams that I can recommend are:

- Mio 368 , or 388 with GPS ( with new firmware update it also has WDR ), = they have polaroid lens option
- Vicovation TF series
- vosonic v747w

Of course there are many others good dash cams with WDR and screen display, but not me, nor my friends in Russia who I know personally have not tested themselves, so I can not judge.

Back