Does power bank with dual usb output first 5v/2.4 and second usb output is 5v/1a can it supply power for viofo 5/3.1a?

Allii

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello everyone, I have viofo a129 pro duo I want to buy power bank to power it when the car is parked sometimes. The viofo charger 5v/3.1a and most of the power bank they have dual usb output one is 5/2.4a and one is 5/1a is it ok to power it to this power bank? I searched for 3.1a output power bank but i couldn't find.
Please if anyone have knowledge about this and can help me with I'll appreciate it.
Thanks.

Hello Allii,
There appears to be quite a few 5 Volt Power Banks that will deliver over 2.4 Amps.
Here's just one that I found on eBay.
Has 4.8 Amp output. Bit pricey but it's an ANKER brand, so it's damn good quality.

> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/223341448334
Seller is in Regents Park, Sydney.

There are a few more on AMAZON & BANGGOOD as well. Not sure about the brands though.

I'm sure that others will chime in with their suggestions.

Last edited:
one is 5/2.4a and one is 5/1a
2.4A is OK, 1A is not enough for the A129 Pro Duo.

1A may work, but probably not. 2.4 should and probably will work, but not all powerbanks match their specifications, especially if they are cheap ones!

Hello Allii,
There appears to be quite a few 5 Volt Power Banks that will deliver over 2.4 Amps.
Here's just one that I found on eBay.
Has 4.8 Amp output. Bit pricey but it's an ANKER brand, so it's damn good quality.

> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/223341448334
Seller is in Regents Park, Sydney.

There are a few more on AMAZON & BANGGOOD as well. Not sure about the brands though.

I'm sure that others will chime in with their suggestions.
Thank you Michael23, so if it's higher then 3.1a will be ok?
Because the viofo need only 3.1a

2.4A is OK, 1A is not enough for the A129 Pro Duo.

1A may work, but probably not. 2.4 should and probably will work, but not all powerbanks match their specifications, especially if they are cheap ones!
Thank you Nigel, yeah i will buy good brand

Hello Allii,
Your dash camera will work just fine on that power bank.
Just because it's rated at 5 Amps means that it can supply that 5 Amps if required.

Speaking electrically, If you had a 5 Volt 1,000 Amp power source, your dash camera will run fine.
The dash camera will only take enough current/power it needs to run.
(Just don't short it out though.) :(

I always like to "over rate" my home built power supplies so that they are not taxed beyond their capacity &
hence forth, run cool & well within their limits.

Stay safe.

Hey. At least they offer you a $20.00 discount.

Hello Allii,
Your dash camera will work just fine on that power bank.
Just because it's rated at 5 Amps means that it can supply that 5 Amps if required.

Speaking electrically, If you had a 5 Volt 1,000 Amp power source, your dash camera will run fine.
The dash camera will only take enough current/power it needs to run.
(Just don't short it out though.) :(

I always like to "over rate" my home built power supplies so that they are not taxed beyond their capacity &
hence forth, run cool & well within their limits.

Stay safe.

Hey. At least they offer you a $20.00 discount.
Thanks Michael23 for your help yeah they offer $20 discount, i will look if i found cheaper one if not I'll buy it. Thank you and stay safe

Because the viofo need only 3.1a
The camera doesn't need 3.1A, it needs about 1.2A, but it is supplied with a 3.1A charger which has a 2nd USB socket which you can use for charging your phone, and then on average it will give about 1.0A to the dashcam and 2.1A to the phone.

If you are plugging it into anything other than Viofo's charger, make sure the socket can provide more than 2A and you should be fine.

The camera doesn't need 3.1A, it needs about 1.2A, but it is supplied with a 3.1A charger which has a 2nd USB socket which you can use for charging your phone, and then on average it will give about 1.0A to the dashcam and 2.1A to the phone.

If you are plugging it into anything other than Viofo's charger, make sure the socket can provide more than 2A and you should be fine.
Thanks you Nigel for these information it really helped me, now i got how this work.
Thank you

Wouldn't there be issues with extreme heat in the car and the constant charging/discharging causing the power bank to be degraded or perhaps a fire risk?

Hi Nigel,
Thanks for that info.
I don't know exactly how much current these dashcams require but thought it a bit strange to require 3 Amps?
T'is a bit hard to stick my Ammeter in-line to check without some cutting & splicing. :)

&, not knowing what the charger looks like or the outputs....?
(Darn it! I just reread the 1st post & saw that the charger was a dual port unit.)

Ta muchly.

I don't know exactly how much current these dashcams require but thought it a bit strange to require 3 Amps?
Nobody knows, because it depends which memory card you use, and how many cameras you have plugged in, and what settings are configured, but an A129 Pro Duo will very rarely reach 1A. Using a 1A supply is not sensible though as most supplies lose some voltage as the current increases to near their maximum, and the A129 Duo does not like low voltages.

T'is a bit hard to stick my Ammeter in-line to check without some cutting & splicing. :)
You can buy USB meters that just plug in, although it is still difficult when using a hardwire kit as most do not support mini USB.

All Vioffo cams from the A119 onward require a robust power supply for reliable operation. With a really good cable 2.4A might be enough, but 3A almost certainly will be. Nobody has figured out why it's this way, but numerous examples show that Viofo's need that extra amperage, and then they're reliable.

Phil

Wouldn't there be issues with extreme heat in the car and the constant charging/discharging causing the power bank to be degraded or perhaps a fire risk?
I don't think it will be problem if it used for short time

But maybe i will use the hardwiring kit instead of the power bank and i will turn the camera off manually if i don't need it to record on parking mode.
Has anyone using hard-wiring kit for long term with no issues?
And does it shorten the life of the battery?

Which option you guys think better 1- the power bank for just short time parking mode recording?

or 2- the hard-wiring kit and i will turn the dashcam off from parking mode if no need?

Thanks

Last edited:
A powerbank is more ideal as it's cheaper than the loss in a car battery, but it's also more trouble and far more likely to be forgotten and thus not working when you need it most. As long as it's a decent brand it's safe in the heats seen in cars even if you're parked in a desert, but heat will shorten the usable life of them. Could try the powerbank and if you don't like it, as least it will be useful for other purposes.

Phil

The battery will be fine under a seat, the coolest part of a car. If you have the room knock up a bracket and mount it on its edge for more exposed surfaces. Don't fasten it on the firewall, depending on the quality of insulation in the car it can get pretty warm.

A powerbank is more ideal as it's cheaper than the loss in a car battery, but it's also more trouble and far more likely to be forgotten and thus not working when you need it most. As long as it's a decent brand it's safe in the heats seen in cars even if you're parked in a desert, but heat will shorten the usable life of them. Could try the powerbank and if you don't like it, as least it will be useful for other purposes.

Phil
Thank you Phil for the reply, yeah i will go with power bank for now as you said if i don't like then i can change to the other option.
Do you recommend any powerbank brand?

The battery will be fine under a seat, the coolest part of a car. If you have the room knock up a bracket and mount it on its edge for more exposed surfaces. Don't fasten it on the firewall, depending on the quality of insulation in the car it can get pretty warm.
Thank you for the advice outbacknomad , yes i will keep it away from the sun and i will use it only sometime on parking mode.

I have shoehorned under a seat two of my four 26AH gel batteries to run accessories with the option of self jumpstarting.

IMG_111943615.jpg

IMG_3232-battery.jpg

2 Victron DC-DC in parallel (above MPPT charger)
IMG_2909701.jpg

47°C in Mildura a few years ago.
IMG_1761-47C-degrees.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210201_123930870.jpg
    IMG_20210201_123930870.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 4
Back